4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

More power & a smoother engine, I did 60K service this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

More power & a smoother engine, I did 60K service this weekend

I started by cleaning the throttle body. I managed to keep the car running with the accordian intake tube off slightly, some air was bypassing the MAF sensor but it didn't seem to bother the car to much. I sprayed a good amount into the intake while the car was running. Hopefully that cleaned up things deeper in the intake then just a TB cleaning.

Next up was the fuel filter. PITA! One thing I was suprised at was the amount of silt like crud that came out of the inlet side of the filter once I got it off. That thing was definately full of dirt and I bet it was restricting fuel flow.

Then the PCV valve. If you remove the 10mm bolt on the intake that holds the pipe that it's connected to, it makes the job a snap. Once you have some free play there, it's easy to wiggle out that short hose and remove the valve.

The plugs were pretty easy. The original pugs came right out and I torqued the new ones to 25 ft/lbs.

I took my K&N pannel filter out to clean & recharge it at a later time and threw a new Nissan air filter in. I'll put the K&N back in after all the pollin from the trees and stuff is gone.

Last up was the oil and filter. Put a Nissan filter in and good old Castrol GTX 10W-30.

Now the moment of truth comes. Max started right up and purred like he always does. I let him warm up just a minute or so and took a ride around the block. The first thing I notice is the power down in the lower RPM range. Like around 2K the thing just pulls hard with just a little gas. No need for the Autotragic to downshift anymore, there's plenty of power there! A cruise down the interstate later on in the afternoon I found it hard to keep the car under 80MPH. I can't believe how much more power my car has after this service. Even the shifts feel better, there is no lag in power when the tranny upshifts 1,2 & 2,3. It just continues to pull very smooth throughout the shifts.

Everything I replaced today was original with 60,500 miles on it. I think the fuel filter may have been pretty clogged up. The plugs looked like their life was done. Not that bad, but showing their age. I'm not so sure I'm going to let the engine go 60K between tune ups anymore. A fuel filter and a set of plugs every 30K may keep the car performing like it is today. I will stick with Platinum plugs even if I change them at 30K.

Total out of pocket expense for my 60K service was $144.37
The look on my face when I stepped on the gas after it was all done, PRICELESS!

Hope everybody had a good weekend and to those that were at the N.E. meet today, I'm glad you guys had some nice weather, sorry I missed it.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:03 PM
ivelweyz

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use 5w-30 in a maxima. Also running the car while sparaying TB cleaner inside shouldn't be too good either...

Old 04-06-2003, 05:10 PM

i cleaned by TB yesterday and forgot to put the accrodian back on and started the car. RPM kept jumpin up as car gasped for air,, very bad,, dont do. Turn car off and clean her thouroughly.. my 2 cents
Old 04-06-2003, 08:56 PM
I like Maximas

congratulations that's great! i'm not sure about spraying throttle body cleaner inside though.. but it sounds like you did a good job!

i'm done with the oil change and the spark plugs on my 60k, i have the 300zx fuel filter ready for installation, along with the pcv valve. and i still have the belts to change, too.

i was at the maxima meet today, my first (i came a bit late, but it was great until it got pretty cold at around 5 or so) today only affirmed my conclusions that the .orgers are very nice and knowledgeable people. i'm glad i showed up. many people showed up including 'confusedmax' with his awesome SC setup! and toward the end of the meet, a white maxima with a turbo!!! showed up.

can't wait for the next one when i'll finally have something else to show (hopefully) besides my stock wheel gap and the FSTB.

-Vadim
Old 04-06-2003, 09:01 PM

actually some TB cleaners do tell you to have the car on, with the throttle slightly open as you spray the cleaner into the intake...
Old 04-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by MGokool
actually some TB cleaners do tell you to have the car on, with the throttle slightly open as you spray the cleaner into the intake...
Glad somebody else reads the instructions on products they use. You can injest TB cleaner into your intake with the car running to clean the thing out. It tells you this on the can. It goes further to tell you some cars will run with the intake off, and some will not.

The trick is keeping the VQ running with air bypassing the MAF sensor. I only made a crack large enough to get the straw from the cleaner into the TB. Then spray and keep blipping the throttle. You get lots of dark smoke from the tail pipe for the first minute or two as all the gunk gets washed down and burnt up, then it runs clean indicating your entire intake system is clean.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Glad somebody else reads the instructions on products they use. You can injest TB cleaner into your intake with the car running to clean the thing out. It tells you this on the can. It goes further to tell you some cars will run with the intake off, and some will not.

The trick is keeping the VQ running with air bypassing the MAF sensor. I only made a crack large enough to get the straw from the cleaner into the TB. Then spray and keep blipping the throttle. You get lots of dark smoke from the tail pipe for the first minute or two as all the gunk gets washed down and burnt up, then it runs clean indicating your entire intake system is clean.
*** Thats correct...it's much better to do it this way than just spraying and wiping, whatever goes into the engine is burned up in combustion! I have a friend who works for nissan service and he comes by my house and that is the procedure he uses...its absolutely amazing with the results!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:34 AM

it sure is 10w-30
Old 04-07-2003, 11:15 AM

Re: More power & a smoother engine, I did 60K service this weekend

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Then the PCV valve. If you remove the 10mm bolt on the intake that holds the pipe that it's connected to, it makes the job a snap. Once you have some free play there, it's easy to wiggle out that short hose and remove the valve.

You must have a magic PCV...mine was a uber-biotch to swap...
and I mean UBER!!! hehehe....maybe I should learn the Japanese
word for super for my Japanese car...

FLO_BOY
Old 04-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: More power & a smoother engine, I did 60K service this weekend

I might have to spend 150$ too.. just to get the 60k service.. my car seems to lag sometimes.. i want the power back.. it was nice when i got my inspection.. but its back to laggin.. need 60k or clean out the MAF... or something...