4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AGX with Eibach springs...smooth ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

AGX with Eibach springs...smooth ride?

I have the Eibach springs combined with AGX struts. I just can't seem to find a setting in which I could get a smooth ride. Is it even possible with the Eibach and AGX? I tried a few different setting on the AGX: 2f/5r, 3f/6r, and 1f/3r. The ride is still pretty stiff no matter what. Plus, I think my front driver side AGX strut is blown. Damn...already?! I only had it on for about 2 months. I would go back to the stock springs, that should definitely give me a smoother ride, however, the ugly wheel gap would come back. I'm riding on the stock 15" sawblades with Bridgestone tires. I'm going to swap in for a set of 17" Tantrums my sister will be giving to me soon. Would there be any difference in the stiffness of the ride with the 15" and 17" wheels on? I know H&R springs suppose to give a smoother ride than the Eibach springs, but I don't want to spend anymore money on the car.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:59 AM

You'll feel a difference in ride quality when you switch out your 15's for 17's...no doubt about it. You'll feel the road more, esp. the smaller cracks and bumps in the road.

I know that with my H&R's I have to leave the rears on 1 or 2. If I get much higher than that, I start getting the lowrider bounce which sucks. I've heard Eibachs are a bit harsher than H&R, so maybe your springs amplify this effect a bit because they are harsher? Knock down that rear setting to 1 or 2 and see what happens.

Hard to believe that your front AGX strut is blown already after only a month. Push down on that corner of the car and see if it comes up once and stops. Repetitive bouncing will tell you that the strut is blown.

Maybe see if someone will swap you their H&R's for your Eibach's?
Old 04-09-2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by ljl10
You'll feel a difference in ride quality when you switch out your 15's for 17's...no doubt about it. You'll feel the road more, esp. the smaller cracks and bumps in the road.

I know that with my H&R's I have to leave the rears on 1 or 2. If I get much higher than that, I start getting the lowrider bounce which sucks. I've heard Eibachs are a bit harsher than H&R, so maybe your springs amplify this effect a bit because they are harsher? Knock down that rear setting to 1 or 2 and see what happens.

Hard to believe that your front AGX strut is blown already after only a month. Push down on that corner of the car and see if it comes up once and stops. Repetitive bouncing will tell you that the strut is blown.

Thanks for the tip. I'll going to check out if the front strut is indeed blown.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:12 PM

I just went out and did the push test. Man, I'm weak. I could only push the driver side down a bit, but it did came back up. I think it might be the bearings because when I turn the steering wheel, I would hear a weird noise. I hope it's not the bearings because I just replaced them when I put the struts on. Something tells me that the shop might have put the bearings on wrong. I remember a thread my boy Jaime(JAY25)posted about the bearings need to be installed correctly, if not sooner or later, they are going to go out. I'm going to do the suspension myself the next time even though I hate to work on the suspension.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:16 PM
Shiver me timbers.

My bearings are bad also and my car feels terrible. I have a stock suspension, so it might not be your springs or struts.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I just went out and did the push test. Man, I'm weak. I could only push the driver side down a bit, but it did came back up. I think it might be the bearings because when I turn the steering wheel, I would hear a weird noise.
Well, at least your strut is still good.

You're right in that it could be your strut bearing that's making the noise. The noise could also be the result of your springs rubbing against each other when you turn the wheel. They make kind of a grinding noise when they do this. Make sure you've got all the plastic sleeves and crap on right when you take everything apart.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:15 PM

An update: I adjusted the rear AGXs down to 1. So now the front and rear AGXs are set at 1. The ride is much better, not as stiff. The handling is still good, I haven't push it, but I don't really care for handling right now. Of course if I go over a big bump, you can still feel it for sure...darn these crappy New Orleans streets.

As far as the bearings, weird thing is I don't hear it now. Sometimes I hear it, sometimes I don't. Something tells me it's something other than the bearings.