4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension question - please help!

Old 09-13-2000, 06:46 AM

I have been looking at various options for a suspension upgrade - e.g H&R, Eibach, Tokico, Coilovers .... and in most cases people are saying that the ride becomes stiffer by some percentage. Now, I own a 99SE which has firmer suspension to begin with, if I went with one of the options above, how much percentage do you think the ride will become firmer by, from my stock SE setup?

Thanks, I know this topic has been beaten to death, but just wanted to get more clarification.
Old 09-13-2000, 07:37 AM
Disco Biscuit

Depends on the springs you get....

I have Eibach, which most say is the firmest, but gives the best performance. It is alot stiffer than stock, but I wouldn't say it's uncomfortable. My Tokico struts have been fine so far, but some have had problems. H&R springs I've heard is more like stock, but I have no experience with these.
I don't know what other suspension mods you've done, but if you're thinking about upgrading, and you haven't already, get the Front strut tower brace, and the Rear sway bar. Those will give you the best bang for the buck IMO, as the SE isn't bad, and those mods will help overcome it's weak points.
Old 09-13-2000, 07:56 AM
Banned

Let he give this a shot..>

Eibach are are stiffer then H&R, rating the springs by stiffness. H&R are very close to the stock setup and would
put them a 10-15% stiffer but that also has to do with the aftermarket springs. The control or bounce is better, not sloppy but the ride is really very close the what you are use to right now. Most install H&R/Tokico to get the ride height lower, about 1.5" lower but keeping the stock ride.

Eibach/Tokico is 30-40% stiffer but only drop the car 1.25" plus you need to cut the bumpstops. The spring rate of the Eibachs are different then the H&R that is why the bump is cut.

Ground Controls are bad news for us east coast guys. First the unit does not hold the strut mount bearing very well. One good shot or bump where the tire leaves the ground will make the bearing shift and then all you hear is metal grinding. Ground control needs to do some more R&D on this until. I am talking about the fronts only because the front assembly rotates and the rear is locked into place.

I am simply telling you about the problems that I have run into in the past. I have helped alot of NE maxima guys install suspension and fix suspension in the past.