4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ideas on where to put kill switch???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 04:44 PM

Ideas on where to put kill switch???

Looking for info on the best place in the electrical system to put a kill switch???? People who have done this. Thanks for response.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:48 PM

what for?

Just out of curiousity. why kill the whole electrical system? Is this incase it overloads due to extra drain or something? Id recommend putting it:

A) where the seat heater buttons would be (assuming u dont have heated seats) in the console. Make sure you have a switch that either has a flip cover or else a dual button/switch so that both have to be thrown (opposite directions maybe, but not so that it matters which is in which direction) to kill the power. Another place would be on the vertical portion of the inside of the armrest (storage area). Any where on the console/middle of dash area would be good. One more area would be along side the steering column just to the right of the Dash lights dimmer dial. hope this gets your head thinking =)
Old 04-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Get a magnetic switch that hides under your carpet. A magnet attached to your key chain turns it on and back off again. Wire it in series with your fuel pump and you have a car that cannot be hot wired and driven.

No fuel = no go.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:07 PM

I forgot to mention as a theft deterrent...

Wow "njmaxseltd" That is a great idea, I did not think of a magnetic switch. Can you recommend a particular type/part#...etc ?

Is that the best way to go as far as killing the fuel pump or kill something else such as starter...just want to use what is best for the maxima...would killing the fuel pump work right away or would the car be able to be driven a distance...thanks again for this info
Old 04-14-2003, 06:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by philly96maxima
I forgot to mention as a theft deterrent...

Wow "njmaxseltd" That is a great idea, I did not think of a magnetic switch. Can you recommend a particular type/part#...etc ?

Is that the best way to go as far as killing the fuel pump or kill something else such as starter...just want to use what is best for the maxima...would killing the fuel pump work right away or would the car be able to be driven a distance...thanks again for this info
Kiling the fuel pump on my car (by removing the fuse) renders my car undrivable - won't even start.
I found this out while changing my fuel filter - I took the procaution of removing the fuse, and trying to start the engine to depressurize the fuel system. The engine didn't even start.

It should be a pretty safe bet - even if they get it started, it'll die within seconds.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by ORBRIT

Kiling the fuel pump on my car (by removing the fuse) renders my car undrivable - won't even start.
I found this out while changing my fuel filter - I took the procaution of removing the fuse, and trying to start the engine to depressurize the fuel system. The engine didn't even start.

It should be a pretty safe bet - even if they get it started, it'll die within seconds.
Nice..great thanks for the info, now i just have to find the color code for the wiring in the schematic.. thanks again for the response!!