4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So how much would u spend to change the color of you clock? $10? $30? How about a $1

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 10:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So how much would u spend to change the color of you clock? $10? $30? How about a $1

I am sort of a perfectionist when it comes to my car, and little things like the clock not matching the rest of my interior illumination really annoy me. Anyway, I decided to do something about it.

Here is just the background of my thought process. If you don’t care how this came to be u can skip to the write-up part of this post:

At first I thought the best way to go about this was to get a clock that illuminated white and just wire it up. I wanted to get a white clock because I knew from there I could change it to any color I wanted. I found that newer Lexus models had a white clock but to obtain one was no party. The ones I found were either too expensive or the wrong color. So I put this idea on the back-burner knowing that if I wanted this to happen I couldn’t rely on finding used parts.

Couple weeks went by; no new ideas came to me until two weekends ago when I was studying for midterms. Usually when I study I listen to music on my hi-fi unit. I noticed my cd player had a nice white illumination to it, so I said what the hey, lets take it apart and see if I can find anything. I did. It turns out the cd player had a different color illumination to it when I took off the cover, similar to that of the oem maxima clock. It was the cover that made it appear white on the outside. It was now obvious what I need to do; replicate the cover, and so I did. I can go on about i figured out how to produce a cover, but now i feel like playing some moto gp, so i wont.. Anyway, end result:

WRITE UP(To obtain a white clock):

1. Go to you local party store and purchase some cellophane paper. The color u are looking for is magenta or red. Now all u need is a very small quantity so buy at little as u can. Luckily it was on sale and I was able to purchase a whole role for $1.

2. Remove the clock from ur car and bring it in the house where u can easily work on it.

3. Remove the cover of the clock and remove the circuitry from the housing. Take a small piece of cellophane paper (all u need is one piece, no need to use double layers or u will get a reddish color and a blurry read out).

4. Take the small piece and attach it to the lcd using clear tape. I say tape it to the lcd and not the cover because its a little tougher to get cellophane paper to stay flush against the cover which in turn would lead to a blurry read out. Make sure the cellophane paper is tightly pressed against the lcd and space between the lcd and the cellophane paper is at a minimum.

5. Reassemble everything and ur done.

Optional:

*6. Now I know a lot of u guys were whining about not being able to have a blue clock, so if u want blue or any other color just purchase it at the party store and layer that AFTER u use the red/magenta. Note that the more layers u add the dimmer ur clock will appear to be and it might be possible that u will need to disconnect the night dimmer.

Have fun.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:54 PM

Brilliant work
Old 04-16-2003, 12:07 AM

nice
Old 04-16-2003, 12:18 AM

Nice write up!
Old 04-16-2003, 12:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sweet, i got a new project, thanks. im also going to try and do the same for the ACC, hope it works. great gob.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:38 AM

NICEEEEEE this will be tommrows project lol
Old 04-16-2003, 01:04 AM

SWEET

now all i need is orange paper/cellophane paper/ whatever...

hopefully it turns out ok

thanks!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

ooooooooooo.. good work....
Old 04-16-2003, 02:47 AM
Administrator

i changed my clock to silver

Old 04-16-2003, 04:11 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I don't get it?

My clock is the same color as everything else in my car?
Old 04-16-2003, 06:54 AM

Nice clock Sprint........ looks like the Limited Edition James Bond model which was only placed in select cars....

How did you get one of those?

D
Old 04-16-2003, 07:12 AM

would this work in the ACC (auto climate control) screen, if you took it apart??

i think u really came across something here man
Old 04-16-2003, 07:32 AM

SprintMax: i changed my clock to silver

showoff...haahahhahhaa
Old 04-16-2003, 08:33 AM

and also, how white is it???
Old 04-16-2003, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by dlicari
Nice clock Sprint........ looks like the Limited Edition James Bond model which was only placed in select cars....

How did you get one of those?

D
contacts
Old 04-16-2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
contacts
You got the hookup...can you set up a Group Deal?
BTW, did a twin turbo come with that clock?

D
Old 04-16-2003, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by s2cmpugh
would this work in the ACC (auto climate control) screen, if you took it apart??

i think u really came across something here man
yes it would, just follow the same steps when u take apart ur acc
Old 04-16-2003, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I don't get it?

My clock is the same color as everything else in my car?
That how it was stock. After i changed mu HU the only thing that was that green color was my clock. My HVAC is manual so it just illuminates white around the buttons and my guages also illuminate white.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:47 AM

Re: So how much would u spend to change the color of you clock? $10? $30? How about a $1

hey that's a tite mod. can you notice a reddish tint at all though during the day around the numbers? also, how dim is your clock now? still very visible during the day? anybody have a writeup for how to disassemble your clock unit?
Old 04-16-2003, 12:48 PM

just got done doing the clock, ACC and my pioneer Sirius Tunner. i picked up some pink(no red in the store) and blue paper. it came out a aqua blue, but its hard to tell durring the day ill have a batter idea tonight when i take some pictures. im sure it will look much better than before.

the clock is a little too dark, can anyone tell me which wire to cut to turn the dimmer off for the clock.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:56 PM
Ramius83

Originally posted by geo1317
the clock is a little too dark, can anyone tell me which wire to cut to turn the dimmer off for the clock.
I really forget the wire, but just use a multimeter to find out which one....

Old 04-16-2003, 01:14 PM

Re: So how much would u spend to change the color of you clock? $10? $30? How about a $1

Originally posted by Mad Dhan
I am sort of a perfectionist when it comes to my car, and little things like the clock not matching the rest of my interior illumination really annoy me. Anyway, I decided to do something about it.

Here is just the background of my thought process. If you don’t care how this came to be u can skip to the write-up part of this post:

At first I thought the best way to go about this was to get a clock that illuminated white and just wire it up. I wanted to get a white clock because I knew from there I could change it to any color I wanted. I found that newer Lexus models had a white clock but to obtain one was no party. The ones I found were either too expensive or the wrong color. So I put this idea on the back-burner knowing that if I wanted this to happen I couldn’t rely on finding used parts.

Couple weeks went by; no new ideas came to me until two weekends ago when I was studying for midterms. Usually when I study I listen to music on my hi-fi unit. I noticed my cd player had a nice white illumination to it, so I said what the hey, lets take it apart and see if I can find anything. I did. It turns out the cd player had a different color illumination to it when I took off the cover, similar to that of the oem maxima clock. It was the cover that made it appear white on the outside. It was now obvious what I need to do; replicate the cover, and so I did. I can go on about i figured out how to produce a cover, but now i feel like playing some moto gp, so i wont.. Anyway, end result:

WRITE UP:

1. Go to you local party store and purchase some cellophane paper. The color u are looking for is magenta or red. Now all u need is a very small quantity so buy at little as u can. Luckily it was on sale and I was able to purchase a whole role for $1.

2. Remove the clock from ur car and bring it in the house where u can easily work on it.

3. Remove the cover of the clock and remove the circuitry from the housing. Take a small piece of cellophane paper (all u need is one piece, no need to use double layers or u will get a reddish color and a blurry read out).

4. Take the small piece and attach it to the lcd using clear tape. I say tape it to the lcd and not the cover because its a little tougher to get cellophane paper to stay flush against the cover which in turn would lead to a blurry read out. Make sure the cellophane paper is tightly pressed against the lcd and space between the lcd and the cellophane paper is at a minimum.

Optional:

*6. Now I know a lot of u guys were whining about not being able to have a blue clock, so if u want blue or any other color just purchase it at the party store and layer that AFTER u use the red/magenta. Note that the more layers u add the dimmer ur clock will appear to be and it might be possible that u will need to disconnect the night dimmer.

Have fun.
You have the same Alpine Radio as I do. By the way nice work!
Old 04-16-2003, 01:26 PM
Sports Button FTW

nice *** write up man! how do u take off the dimmer? did u ever experiment and NOT use the red magenta and just the blue?
Old 04-16-2003, 04:25 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

WRITE UP:

Optional:

Have fun.
you're an F-ing genious.

but green + red = purple! is the key to getting it a blue color using majenta?
Old 04-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Ramius83

Re: Re: So how much would u spend to change the color of you clock? $10? $30? How about a $1

Originally posted by nadir_s

you're an F-ing genious.

but green + red = purple! is the key to getting it a blue color using majenta?
So what color would you put over the Green LEDS to get white????

Old 04-16-2003, 04:48 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: So how much would u spend to change the color of you clock? $10? $30? How about a $1

Originally posted by Ramius83

So what color would you put over the Green LEDS to get white????
anti-green
Old 04-16-2003, 04:59 PM
Ramius83

Re: Re: Re: Re: So how much would u spend to change the color of you clock? $10? $30? How about a $1

Originally posted by nadir_s

anti-green
Which is.....????

Old 04-16-2003, 05:10 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So how much would u spend to change the color of you clock? $10? $30? How about

Originally posted by Ramius83

Which is.....????
it's not possible, at least w/ the cellophane idea.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble
nice *** write up man! how do u take off the dimmer? did u ever experiment and NOT use the red magenta and just the blue?
Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
The digital clock is designed to go dim when the lights are on. It is not controlled by the dashboard light dimmer. If you want the clock display to remain at high intensity when the lights are on...

1) Remove the clock. This may be done with a small flat-blade screwdriver. Insert the screwdriver blade between the lower right hand corner of the plastic dashboard clock panel and the adjacent softer dash board. Slowly pry the panel up. Continue this at all four corners of the contoured panel until the metal snaps which anchor the panel are loose. Remove the panel by pulling outward and downward.

2) Note that the clock's electrical connector has four wires. Cut the wire which is red with a blue tracer. Insulate the cut ends with a bit of electrician's tape.

3) Install the clock panel. It just snaps into place.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:32 PM

couldn't u just replace the led? wats the deal with all the cellophane?
Old 04-16-2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by InfamousOrange
couldn't u just replace the led? wats the deal with all the cellophane?
its an LCD... it has no LED's.

also, how dim is it with only the red cellophane? how much dimmer would it get if i put the blue on it also? will i still be able to see it during the day? just white would be cool though.....
Old 04-16-2003, 05:39 PM

oh d'oh i blame the heat. my bad
Old 04-16-2003, 06:31 PM

here is the end result of the project with the result being blue. And again thank to Mad Dhan.

with lights off

with lights on and dimmer all the way up, still need to do the clock dimmer mod.

Old 04-16-2003, 06:44 PM

ok i see there is still some info that needs to be cleared up so:

-The dimmer wire needed to be cut is the red wire with the blue tracer.

-To make the clock white u need red/magenta cellophane paper. As to why this produces white as oppose to purple is beyond me. But i would think that color theory is not the same when i comes to illumination or light.

-There is no hint of red, for someone who asked.

-As for it being visable during the day, i can see it clearly. Here are some pics:

have fun
Old 04-16-2003, 06:50 PM

-The dimmer wire needed to be cut is the red wire with the blue tracer.

thank you
Old 04-16-2003, 07:05 PM

Sweet

Nice Work Man...I've been having the same thoughts as to how to do the same thing....when I get a nice day off...I'll have a lil' project to do! Lata!
-Jeremiah
Old 04-16-2003, 07:41 PM

nice! can somebody post real quick how to take out teh dash stuff safely w/o breaking nething? i've never pulled out that part before.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by aznsap
nice! can somebody post real quick how to take out teh dash stuff safely w/o breaking nething? i've never pulled out that part before.
http://installdr.com/InstallDocs/Nissan/PDF/647021.pdf

use that as a guide. All u really need to go up to is step 3 maybe 4. You will see the screws that hold in the clock from there.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:49 PM

well i decided to do this..
and if u havent noticed.. i am going for the orange theme, so here

ill take some farther away pics later, but this is what it looks like so far, i think it came out GREAT!!!! thanx alot Dhan...

bunch of people saying my interior is nice and orange, cept the clock, now its orange also
Old 04-16-2003, 10:51 PM

but there is a problem...the local hobby shop only had long rolls of celaphane so i had to buy this honker.. now i have nothing to do with it?

anyone wanna buy strips of it for a dollar?????
ill provide pretty big strips?

hmm groupd deal? lol...

Quick Reply: So how much would u spend to change the color of you clock? $10? $30? How about a $1