4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

High pitched noise that varies with speed, very concerned

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003 | 12:56 PM

High pitched noise that varies with speed, very concerned

Today I was driving with the windows open (beautiful out in NY) and I noticed a very high pitched squeel from the front of the car, no where specific though. It varied ONLY with speed, not RPMS. The noise was the same with brakes applied or not, and i couldn't hear it at idle. This makes me want to eliminate frozen caliper and belts, but maybe I shouldn't eliminate them. Any suggestions? I can't really "look or listen" to a specific area when my car is in motion, and this is the only time it makes noise.
Old 04-19-2003 | 12:59 PM

I had the same problem but I could hear mine at idle, it was the loudest at idle. I figured out that it was the idler pulley, the bearings went bad. Replaced that and the noise was gone. But thats off topic, yours sounds like it could be a belt, but you should check the voltage of your alternator. Good Luck man!
Old 04-19-2003 | 01:04 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Re: High pitched noise that varies with speed, very concerned

Originally posted by bb0ys
Today I was driving with the windows open (beautiful out in NY) and I noticed a very high pitched squeel from the front of the car, no where specific though. It varied ONLY with speed, not RPMS. The noise was the same with brakes applied or not, and i couldn't hear it at idle. This makes me want to eliminate frozen caliper and belts, but maybe I shouldn't eliminate them. Any suggestions? I can't really "look or listen" to a specific area when my car is in motion, and this is the only time it makes noise.

HOw much miles you have on your max, it is very possible that is your drive belts. open the hood, and go to the left of engine. and put your ear close to the water tank for washer. see if you hear the noise from there. there are two belts that need to be replaced. your belts gets dry and they start making noise. i have that on my car. so i went to mechanic close to my house. he told me they dryed up but there is no crack on them. i should save my money. i was happy.

Just check it out.
Old 04-19-2003 | 02:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: High pitched noise that varies with speed, very concerned

5 speed if so that is exactly how the diff bearing in my tranny sounded when they were going bad.
Old 04-19-2003 | 04:09 PM

I don't think its the belts because I can't hear it at idle (with hood open) and the sound doesn't change with the RPMs. It only changes as I speed up and slow down. I REALLY hope it has nothing to do with the transmission, i just bought this car 2 months ago, could it be the wheel bearings? anything but the tranny!
Old 04-19-2003 | 04:21 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

I don't think its the belts because I can't hear it at idle (with hood open) and the sound doesn't change with the RPMs. It only changes as I speed up and slow down. I REALLY hope it has nothing to do with the transmission, i just bought this car 2 months ago, could it be the wheel bearings? anything but the tranny!

It could be that it is not comming from your engine, it could be that it is comming from under your car. it could your CV joints. or something like that. try to get under the car see if anything is broken or you see any grease around the wheel. usally CV joints when they dry out they make noise like that.
But I could be wrong.
Old 04-19-2003 | 04:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

if it stopes when you push in the clutch while rolling then it is the tranny.
Old 04-19-2003 | 04:26 PM

didnt think of that

Originally posted by plurco
if it stopes when you push in the clutch while rolling then it is the tranny.
I didn't think of testing it like that. Wow im sort of scared to find out if it REALLY is the tranny....oh boy...I'll check the CV joints too, but i dont hear any clicking on turns so im reluctant to think its them.

*please dont be transmission*
Old 04-22-2003 | 02:48 PM

Noise gone?!

I was going to see if I could diagnose the noise better, but it's gone! I drove the car around town, and then 200 miles to boston and it never came back...oh well. im going to change the 5sp fluid just incase
Old 05-05-2003 | 06:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Noise gone?!

Am I the only one who thinks its the bearings? I have the exact same problem and am thinking whether we need our bearings repacked/greased. Mine varies w/ speed and sounds very "external" to the engine. The sound is projected out the sides, I hear is most prominently when I'm driving near a wall or guardrail.

How much does it cost to get bearings redone (not replaced)?

I was going to see if I could diagnose the noise better, but it's gone! I drove the car around town, and then 200 miles to boston and it never came back...oh well. im going to change the 5sp fluid just incase