4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Idle Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Idle Question

Hi,
I have a 97 Maxima SE. I had a sticky gas pedal problem that I solved by cleaning the throttlebody with STP Throttlebody cleaner. However, I now have what seems to be a high idle when stopping. The idle speed is about 750 RPM while coasting to a stop and then when the car comes to a complete stop, the idle drops to around 550. I don't recall this situation before but the throttle was sticky for quite awhile. I've checked all my hose connections and everything seems to be in order. The 750 to 550 RPM drop that occurs when the car comes to a complete stops is what has me confused as it seems to need more brake pedal pressure than I remember.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Mine did the same thing. I had to turn back the factory idle stop screw about 1/2 turn to stop that from happening.

(thats the throttle stop screw your not supposed to touch)
Old 05-07-2003, 04:29 PM

I cleaned my TB this weekend. Its doing the same thing. What screw are we talking about in laymans terms. Where in the engine bay or in the car do I find it? How do I just increase the idle?

Thanks

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Mine did the same thing. I had to turn back the factory idle stop screw about 1/2 turn to stop that from happening.

(thats the throttle stop screw your not supposed to touch)
Old 05-07-2003, 04:50 PM

its a black plastic screw on the outside of the throttle body..... thats the adjustment screw....
Old 05-07-2003, 06:11 PM

Black Plastic? Mine was brass with a lock nut on it. It's on the TB, lower left side, right where the throttle linkage is. It's the factory stop for the throttle plate. You need to back it out very slightly,(1/4 to 1/2 turn) then go for a ride to see the results. If its OK then leave it alone, still to high as you stop, go another 1/4 turn out. I got mine to hang at about 650 and settle to 600. It's a nice smooth transition.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Old Maxima Legend

was reading over the post .. is the right idle for a 97 maxima 600-650 while the car is in neutral ?
Old 05-07-2003, 07:03 PM

What year is your Maxima NJMax?
Old 05-08-2003, 04:55 AM

I cleaned my throttle body about a month ago and had the same problem but it cleared up in maybe 7 to 14 days.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by Ceasars Chariot
was reading over the post .. is the right idle for a 97 maxima 600-650 while the car is in neutral ?
In drive it should be around 600 - 650
In neutral it should be around 700 - 750
Old 05-09-2003, 08:28 AM

I think most of the problem has built up over a period of time. As your throttle body gets dirty, it blocks the air flow around the butterfly plate and other parts. The ECU knows it is supposed to idle at a certain speed, so it ups the gas flow to compensate (over time) for the gunk and blockage. When you clean the TB, the ECU does not immediately recognize the increase in air flow. It may take a few days, and disconnecting the ground for (up to) 24 hours, thus resetting the ECU, should take care of the problem. If not, you may need to manually adjust the idle.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:23 AM

Can you please post a pic? There are two cables running to the TB. One has a brass pipe with the bolts on it and the other is a grey plastic tube. Which one do I adjust?

Thanks

Black Plastic? Mine was brass with a lock nut on it. It's on the TB, lower left side, right where the throttle linkage is. It's the factory stop for the throttle plate. You need to back it out very slightly,(1/4 to 1/2 turn) then go for a ride to see the results. If its OK then leave it alone, still to high as you stop, go another 1/4 turn out. I got mine to hang at about 650 and settle to 600. It's a nice smooth transition.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:49 AM

That screw/locknut is definitely the throttle body butterfly plate stop, NOT an idle adjustment!

The plate stop is there so that the plate doesn't get stuck into the TB, which causes a VERY sticky throttle. Once set, you should rarely touch that screw again. The real idle adjustment is the large black screw on top of the IACV.

The factory spec calls for idle of 650, but I like mine around 700. Idle Adjustment
Old 05-11-2003, 12:42 PM

proper technique regarding TB

Don't adjust the throttle body screw after you cleaned your td. The car's computer is not used to the fact that your TB is clean...now that you cleaned it. So what is happening is that more air is comming into the engine then the computer is used to. More air means abit higher RPM's...but this is temporary and normal after cleaning a TB. It takes your cars computer about 40 starts and drives to reset itself. Once it does that your engine will run better then if you mess around with the cold idle screw.

hope i helped
Old 05-12-2003, 06:59 AM

Re: proper technique regarding TB

Thanks TooMax for the link. I will get under the hood and locate the screw.

Gollany,
Thanks for your post too. The problem however is I cleaned my TB a week earlier on 5/4. I have driven the car to work every day. Not to mention the numerous times I fired it up after cleaning the TB. So, I am sure that I have exceeded past the 40 startups and drives that you have mentioned. My problem is not high idle. It is low idle. I want to up the idle a tad bit.

Thanks

Originally posted by Gollany24
Don't adjust the throttle body screw after you cleaned your td. The car's computer is not used to the fact that your TB is clean...now that you cleaned it. So what is happening is that more air is comming into the engine then the computer is used to. More air means abit higher RPM's...but this is temporary and normal after cleaning a TB. It takes your cars computer about 40 starts and drives to reset itself. Once it does that your engine will run better then if you mess around with the cold idle screw.

hope i helped
Old 05-12-2003, 07:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: proper technique regarding TB

Update
I disconnected my battery over the weekend. Upon restart the slow transition to base idle seems improved. Here is what I notice. If I hear a rhythmic ticking sound from the throttle body area and slightly rev the engine, the idle returns normally to base idle. If the rhythmic ticking sound goes away, then the slow return to idle occurs. I'm thinking it is a dirty IAC valve but am very hesitant to remove it. There seems to be some debate over the ticking IAC valve from posts I have read by doing a search. I too exceeded the restart numbers mentioned above with no change in the slow to base idle transition. The problem is also noticeable when cruising around 30 mph, sometimes the idle drops lower than other times when I remove my foot from the pedal. The throttle plate appears to be moving freely.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:11 AM

Re: proper technique regarding TB

Gollany24,

I guess you were right? I have not yet done anything to the idle screw but now my idle is fine. It idles at 850 when warm in Park and idles at 650 - 700 in D. That is exactly what I wanted so I am done.

Thanks a lot all you guys for help on this. Its nice to fall in love with the max all over again.

A word of advice to others who do this, wait a couple of weeks before doing anything to your idle after cleaning TB.

Originally posted by Gollany24

hope i helped