4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CV-JOINT PROBLEM - Car is apart NOW. HELP! SOS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 05:12 PM

CV-JOINT PROBLEM - Car's up on jackstands. Please HELP!

Passenger-side CV-joint swap in progress:

Outer axle & joint were successfully removed from the hub assembly.

But. . .the carrier bearing (inner-side part held in by the three mounting bolts) won't come out, even though the bolts have been removed. The dern thing just won't budge.

How do you remove this f-er?

It's not sliding out & I've even used the side2side 'play' in the inner CV-joint to pull forcefully outward on the axle shaft, using it like a makeshift slide-hammer - but still, the carrier bearing won't budge.

I can't get a screwdriver between the mounting flange and the mating surface to pry it free, so what to do?

Please help - gettin' desperate here.

TIA,

-K-

PS: For those who have changed the entire passenger-side CV, did your carrier bearing slide out, or did you have the same trouble I'm having?
Old 05-10-2003, 09:07 PM

TTT

C'mon guys - 50 looks & no response? You don't call, you don't write. . .

Where's the love?

(Seriously though, any helpful replies appreciated)

-K-
Old 05-10-2003, 09:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pull really really hard, seriously. I've done several nissans and none have been easy to pull (especially since I weigh 125lb). Try it with 2 people: 1 person pulling and another under the car, using a screwdriver as a prybar. There isn't anything else holding it in.
Jae
Old 05-10-2003, 10:08 PM
rmb

heat it up.... pencil flame tip on a propane torch to spot heat the outer piece.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:50 AM

i did mine a few months back, it literally jumped right out after I took out the 3 bolts. one other tip is to be careful of the seal when putting the new one in.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by maximaseefu
i did mine a few months back, it literally jumped right out after I took out the 3 bolts. one other tip is to be careful of the seal when putting the new one in.
Lucky you. Wish my car was behaving like yours did.

I'm going to try heating the carrier bearing bracket & another technique I found (tap outward at the bevelled edge of the inner CV-joint using a hammer & crobar to loosen - Found another thread last night where someone did this & was able to loosen it & remove the carrier bearing)

Thanks everyone, for the advice. Any other tips appreciated. I'll report back (hopefully w/ good news!)
Old 05-11-2003, 10:00 AM

UPDATE

Well, a combination of heating with a torch & whacking at the flange with a hammer finally opened up a gap.

From there, I was able to get a screwdriver and then a prybar between each of the bolt flanges & gradually work the carrier bearing assembly out of it's crusty tomb.

(As I suspected, there was a decent amount of rust and corrosion seizing it in there).

I'll be sure to sand the inside surface of the carrier bearing bracket so the install is A LOT easier than the removal.

Thanks again for all the help, guys.

Ok, back 'ta woyk 4 me.

-K-

EDIT - LAST UPDATE

Well, got the new raxles CV axle assembly in place and road tested. All is well, I'm glad to report.

My summary?

If you have a car that's over 5 yrs old or has been exposed to a lot of wet weather or wintery conditions, you might want to save the hassle & leave this job to a shop. I sacrificed a whole weekend to get this done, unfortunately. But it IS DONE! Woooooo hoooooo!

Btw, I did sand the corrosion off the inside of the C.B.S. bracket and to aid installation and potential removal in the future, applied a layer of all-purpose grease to this and the mating surface of the carrier bearing.

A special thanks to Marty at www.raxles.com who was very helpful & offered good support & information. I'll definitely deal with them again if need be.

Out.