4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4 months in my garage & now trouble starting my max

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 08:42 PM

4 months in my garage & now trouble starting my max

well my poor max has been sitting in my garage since like Januaray. Reason:lots of tickets, and water pump broke. I haven't had much time to work on it. So in the end i took off the timing chain cover (don't ask why, i just did) and replaced the water pump and i know for sure the chain is on correctly too. Well i have put back the cover and tryied to start her up but no hope. Just a bunch of noise. I can get it on every once in a while but i have to jiggle the key around to make it start. If I don't jiggle the key then it won't start.

I haven't connect everything like the crankshaft pulley, belts, ac compressor, and the alternator is connected but is lying on the floor.

I don't know what the problem could be. I tested if a spark was coming out of the spark plug cable and "nada", nothing. Can someone give some advice anyhing would do.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:57 PM

Re: 4 months in my garage & now trouble starting my max

Originally posted by delacruz_17
well my poor max has been sitting in my garage since like Januaray. Reason:lots of tickets, and water pump broke. I haven't had much time to work on it. So in the end i took off the timing chain cover (don't ask why, i just did) and replaced the water pump and i know for sure the chain is on correctly too. Well i have put back the cover and tryied to start her up but no hope. Just a bunch of noise. I can get it on every once in a while but i have to jiggle the key around to make it start. If I don't jiggle the key then it won't start.

I haven't connect everything like the crankshaft pulley, belts, ac compressor, and the alternator is connected but is lying on the floor.

I don't know what the problem could be. I tested if a spark was coming out of the spark plug cable and "nada", nothing. Can someone give some advice anyhing would do.
Check the condition of your battery using a hydrometer (available at any auto parts store for under $5). If you haven't maintained the battery during the car's storage time, it may have discharged enough to cause the problems you're experiencing.

If however, you're convinced the ignition switch is playing a role, that's another matter. Start with a battery checkup.

PS: Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to start & run an engine without the alternator hooked up & providing power to the electrical system. Why the need to run it disassembled? Put it all back together first.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:14 PM

yea its just that im really lazy to put it back together and then find out later that i will have to take apart everything again. I work on the car for like 6 hours and i just wanted to see if it started up. Im going to try with everything connected tomorrow. I'll keep postin'