4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wet Trunk Blues

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 03:32 PM

Wet Trunk Blues

Please help me with some advice on a major problem I am dealing with.

When I purchased my preowned '97 Maxima, I noticed some standing water in area in the trunk where the spare tire is kept. The salesman pulled (and this took some effort) a rubber drain plug and the water poured out through the bottom. He put the drain plug back.

Some time later, I removed the drain plug and set it the side because noticed more standing water. However, when it rains heavily, the area on the trunk mat/carpet gets wet and stays wet for a good while. It is only the area above the tire, not the rest of the mat. When I feel around where the spare is, it doesn't seem to be as wet and the mat over top of it.

I don't want to put the drain plug back in because I don't want the standing water and I don't want my spare to get submerged, but I also don't want the wet carpet in the trunk.

If you think you know what might be causing this, let me know.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

have you checked the weatherstrip around your trunk opening? i would start there
Old 05-19-2003, 04:00 PM

No, I haven't done that yet, Slizan99.

I think my brother-in-law recommended I check that, too.

Would something like the weatherstripping cause it to leak in the center of the trunk, above the spare?

Originally posted by slizan99
have you checked the weatherstrip around your trunk opening? i would start there
Old 05-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

maybe the water is running down the body seam to a weak spot in the weatherstripping?
Old 05-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if it did it when you were purchasing it and is still doing it why dont you see if the dealer will help solve your problem? depending on the type of dealer and how long ago you bought it the dealer should be able to help you out
Old 05-20-2003, 09:19 AM

This may be the case, thanks.

I looked at the weather stripping, yesterday, and felt around all of it and didn't notice any problem areas. I guess I have to have the dealership check it out.

Originally posted by slizan99
maybe the water is running down the body seam to a weak spot in the weatherstripping?
Old 05-20-2003, 09:25 AM

You're absolutely right, Finny.
I got the car in the summer and didn't have the problem for a while and when I would take the car in for service (I guess on dry days) it must have slipped my mind.
I will have the dealer look at it and let them know that was a preexisting condition.

Originally posted by finny
if it did it when you were purchasing it and is still doing it why dont you see if the dealer will help solve your problem? depending on the type of dealer and how long ago you bought it the dealer should be able to help you out
Old 05-20-2003, 09:27 AM

i remember there being a TSB for the Maximas on leaky trunks. maybe you can simply consult with a nissan dealer to see what they fix and where the problem lies (since i am sure you can do it yourself as the dealer will probably charge labor for an out-of-warranty TSB fix). OR, you can search for it, i'm sure someone else has experienced this if its a TSB.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:39 AM

I had a leak where the metal pieces join together on the side of the trunk, make sure you check all welds
Old 05-20-2003, 09:40 AM

Also, the easiest way to troubleshoot is to bring the garden hose over and wet various parts of your trunk and check if water got through, should narrow it down pretty quick
Old 05-20-2003, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Deja Vu

Yo I thought i was the only one with this problem... ..I recently change my 96'Max to a 99' shaved trunk...then i noticed that the center of the trunk was always wet after it rained or snowed in New York. The weather strip seems fine, and the side of the trunk is fine its just the center.The carpet and the cardboard underneath is wet and warped all the time. Now everytime I put something in it it goes straight to the center, looks like i got a hole in the middle of the trunk.....
Old 05-21-2003, 09:17 AM

Re: Deja Vu

Hey, Willnyc555.

This is the exact problem I have, however, I don't have the shaved trunk.

The warped and moldy cardboard is a real downer. And when it finally dries up, it doesn't look nice.

It's raining pretty hard, in Virinia, right now, and I checked the trunk weatherstripping. I could not detect any leaks and I didn't feel any dampness right under the trunk top or anywhere else ... only in the middle above the spare.

I'm going to take it to the dealer.

Originally posted by Willnyc555
Yo I thought i was the only one with this problem... ..I recently change my 96'Max to a 99' shaved trunk...then i noticed that the center of the trunk was always wet after it rained or snowed in New York. The weather strip seems fine, and the side of the trunk is fine its just the center.The carpet and the cardboard underneath is wet and warped all the time. Now everytime I put something in it it goes straight to the center, looks like i got a hole in the middle of the trunk.....
Old 05-21-2003, 09:34 AM

do you see any water under the trunk when you lift it up? i had a leak on the joint on the sides of the trunk. i fixed it by filling the seam with some jbweld. you probably are getting leaking because of a bad joint, weatherstrip, or a trunk latch that doesn't hold the trunk down firmly enough. if the dealer won't fix it, i would remove the back seat, remove the carpet and particle board thing and watch the trunk area with a flashlight while someone else takes a garden hose to the outside of your car.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:39 AM

Is everyone that is having this problem have a spoiler? Because if the holes around the spoiler would leak I would think that water would run towards the center of the trunk.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:40 AM

i have this same problem with my 96 i will probably take it to the dealer as well. i cant stand it.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the tip, Kanaka.

When I lift the trunk, I detect no leaking, but the center portion above the spare is soaked. I don't see any leaking from the sides.

If the dealer doesn't help, I'll try your recommendation to spot the leak.

Originally posted by Kanaka
do you see any water under the trunk when you lift it up? i had a leak on the joint on the sides of the trunk. i fixed it by filling the seam with some jbweld. you probably are getting leaking because of a bad joint, weatherstrip, or a trunk latch that doesn't hold the trunk down firmly enough. if the dealer won't fix it, i would remove the back seat, remove the carpet and particle board thing and watch the trunk area with a flashlight while someone else takes a garden hose to the outside of your car.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by MaximaMoJo
Is everyone that is having this problem have a spoiler? Because if the holes around the spoiler would leak I would think that water would run towards the center of the trunk.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:01 AM

I don't know about the others, but I have a spoiler on the trunk.

Originally posted by MaximaMoJo
Old 05-21-2003, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by Macks97
I don't know about the others, but I have a spoiler on the trunk.

Have any of you checked the seal around the tail lights? Do you actually see water on the trunklid? It could be the seal around the tail lights are bad and the water is running behind and under the sidemolding and carpet. Just another thought.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:21 PM

if all fails get a tube of silicone and seal around all the gaskets and taillights, spoiler holes if you have a spoiler, this worked for me on the trunk of my grand prix. wasnt the prettiest to look at but much better than the truck full of water.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The Weird part is that nothing around the trunk is wet. Only the center and i believe i have a big fish tank in the spare last time. I used the dyonmat spray to thicken the trunk but where the water sat for like weeks it just took it all out and now when i drained the trunk its got nasty gunky black tarlike stuff all over.....
Old 05-21-2003, 01:54 PM

Haven't checked around the taillights as a possible source for the leak. I'll check it out.

I did take another look, during my lunch break, and the carpeting directly under the trunk lid is as dry as the Mohave. It looks brand new! This leads me to the think that the source of the water is coming from the sides or the bottom. As I said before, I did take out the rubber drain plug under the spare, but that's because water would build up.

Another strange detail. I left a an old sheet in between the spare tire and the cardboard covering and the when I felt the sheet it's not as wet as the carpeting on top of the cardboard. Very strange.

By the way, when I called my dealer I was told that the majority of the fixes they've done on Maximas has been for leaky sunroofs. Thank goodness I have no problem there.

Originally posted by finny
if all fails get a tube of silicone and seal around all the gaskets and taillights, spoiler holes if you have a spoiler, this worked for me on the trunk of my grand prix. wasnt the prettiest to look at but much better than the truck full of water.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:39 PM

I found the solution

I had leak in my trunk after the body shop replaced my tailight and didn't recaulk the area around the tailight.
so i used some pvc silicone and worked like charm, plus i i used some "electric tape " around those tracks that water runs down from the rear windshield - i know it's a temp fix for now , but atleast my mat stays dry and my 12" woofer won't have to swim in the spare tire well

Nick
Old 05-22-2003, 07:46 AM

Re: I found the solution

Originally posted by nick
I had leak in my trunk after the body shop replaced my tailight and didn't recaulk the area around the tailight.
so i used some pvc silicone and worked like charm, plus i i used some "electric tape " around those tracks that water runs down from the rear windshield - i know it's a temp fix for now , but atleast my mat stays dry and my 12" woofer won't have to swim in the spare tire well

Nick
For once I was right! Its about time. I don't know if you can get that gook that is on the tail lights from the factory or if someone makes a gasket (like the ones that come with Altezza's) but that would probably fix it.

Glad you found the problem.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is it leaking on the side? Do you have wet spots on the side of the trunk? Cause my trunk seems to be fine on the side.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:45 AM

Re: I found the solution

Thanks, Nick.

Let me make sure I have this right. I should apply the PVC silicone around the area (inside the trunk) where the taillight is. On top of that, I should run electric tape around the tracks (inside the trunk) where the water runs down from the back windshield.

Even if this is a temporary fix, it will be a blessing not to deal with the leak and all the negatives that go with it. I just put some new Sony speakers in the rear, too, so I have similar concerns.

I truly appreciate the feedback.

Nick
Old 05-22-2003, 10:36 AM

Nope. The only wet spot I detect is above the spare tire. The sides and the top are fine.

Originally posted by Willnyc555
Is it leaking on the side? Do you have wet spots on the side of the trunk? Cause my trunk seems to be fine on the side.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:12 PM

I just posted the same topic not having looked at new posts today. Anyhow, I didn't know so many others had this issue. I've checked the rubber weatherstripping as well and it seems to be fine. I have a '96 Manual SE and have taken the rubber plug out of the well so that water won't collect. Similarly, the cardboard over the wheel well is really warped and looks horrible. I really can't figure out where the car is leaking.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:45 PM

that should do it

pvc silicone around those lights inside the trunk and put some tape over the edges of tailights right where those water drain track are
that's what i did and trunks is safe and dry !!!!

and for that mat , especially after is all warped and smells bad,
I cleaned it with brush and plenty of hot water and simple green
then i let it sit in the sunlight with some weight on it to bring it back to shape - worked out great

Nick
Old 05-23-2003, 09:25 AM

Re: that should do it

Very helpful details, Nick.

I'll put it to the test this weekend.

Thanks again.

pvc silicone around those lights inside the trunk and put some tape over the edges of tailights right where those water drain track are
that's what i did and trunks is safe and dry !!!!

and for that mat , especially after is all warped and smells bad,
I cleaned it with brush and plenty of hot water and simple green
then i let it sit in the sunlight with some weight on it to bring it back to shape - worked out great

Nick