4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Scared of modding? Put you fears to rest!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 07:00 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by sblax2000
So how bad is intake really for your engine?
It's not bad for your engine.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:05 AM
Moderator GT-R

Re: Re: Bravo

Originally posted by bluemaxx

Reminds me of an old girlfriend of mine!
Old 05-29-2003, 12:40 AM

Re: Re: Scared of modding? Put you fears to rest!

Originally posted by 1eyedcalibandit

read these post and prove how you can say a vb mod does NOTHING for your transmission.

Here are just a few threads on VB modification.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=%2Avb%2A – read the 12th post down written by dmBk

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=%2Avb%2A

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=%2Avb%2A – check out the 7th post down written by Jime

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....light=%2Avb%2A

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=72447 – check out the 6th post down written by Clee130
All of that means nothing. My information coms from Robert, who owns NRH Transmissions in Jessup, Md. They know more about the Nissan/Jatco transmission than you wish you knew.

can you prove that the car wont RUN or that it would make a screeching noise if the intake is messed up.
Idiot, the screeching noise is the sound of a vaccuum leak. Your car won't run or run correctly if you had one of those. Go start your car and take off the large hose on the back of your intake and see how long you car stays running. I only made that statement to ease people's worries that their car is going to blow up from a whistle from their intake.

once again you cant prove that if you mod just one part or a few in the suspension you will end up with noise EVERY time. blah blah blah
You will. The proof is in Maxima.org

please look at the post where you said you have had almost every combo of suspension set up and they all ride the same. [/B]
I never said I have had every suspension combo. I said I have ridden or driven in every suspension combo.

I think you should edit your post and take out all the senseless BS.
I think you should reread the post and actually learn from it. It seems you have no clue otherwise.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

They don't ride the same to me. Lowering a car is heavily dependent on what the user is willing to put up with. All I can really suggest is that someone do a lot of research before lowering.
I agree. Apparently, I'm willing to put up with alot. coming from harsh coilovers to springs was a relief in itself.

I guess I don't quite understand what is exactly tweaked on the VB, but it was always my understanding that it's much like a shift kit (ie it increases fluid pressure). Having the gears shift slow means the clutches and bands in the auto slip to give you a smooth shift. This slipping increases heat. The VB firms up the shift and reduces the heat of the clutch slippage. I've never heard of the VB causing any tranny failures so I don't quite see why you say the VB increases heat. I do agree that a tranny cooler is a excellent mod, for any auto.
Its actually the exact opposite. Increasing fluid pressure causes the hydraulic pump to work harder. It is usually the first to go. The heat from the pump itself is enough to kill the tranny. There is a reason that a transmission cooler is a necessity for a VB mod. A VB mod alone will kill your tranny.

Dave
Old 05-29-2003, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
ahem, 95'

you know, you can't really expect much from a guy who said he kept up with an R1 then pulled on it past 110mph
I guess you really can't digest the fact that my Maxima has modifications that you really don't know are available.

I own Fast Lane Performance!!! We make extreme high quality products that no one else will bother to make. Our products are well known throughout the area and you've even heard minor testimonials about our little street intake. However, my Maxima has some of the most extensive mods out. Not everything is listed on the internet. I've been building cars since I was 12. I have a little experience under my belt. Just like the CustomMaxima.com project car...Just wait until I'm finished. For now, you can stare at the picture below and see where I started.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Old 05-29-2003, 06:41 AM

https://maxima.org/forums/images/smilies/popcorn.gif
Old 05-29-2003, 07:37 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Originally posted by NightRider

I guess you really can't digest the fact that my Maxima has modifications that you really don't know are available.

I own Fast Lane Performance!!! We make extreme high quality products that no one else will bother to make. Our products are well known throughout the area and you've even heard minor testimonials about our little street intake. However, my Maxima has some of the most extensive mods out. Not everything is listed on the internet. I've been building cars since I was 12. I have a little experience under my belt. Just like the CustomMaxima.com project car...Just wait until I'm finished. For now, you can stare at the picture below and see where I started.

i have a friend like that... he's a good guy. but he talks a lot. we, as his friends know by what % we should "discount" his statements to get a "truer" picture. i dont know u personally, so i cant judge the validity of your statements, but they are "out there", and until there is some proof (real proof), most of us are doubting you. u know the only way to back your statements is to show what you are talking about. u can hide all the details of your mods and innovations, as you have a right to do so, but still you need to do more than to give vague statements. if you are afraid of copycats, lay your fears to rest - any serious mod that you might have could not be easily duplicated (if at all) without the complete specs (which you have a right to hide), and most people have no skill/time/knowledge necessary to produce an exact copy of what you havethat would function properly. thats what R&D is all about, and at leaast 7-figure budget is needed for anything worthwile.
everyone can make an FSTB. some will make it correctly. and its just a "straight" bar with adjustable links.
so, as they say "put up or shut up". you have a right to do either. but i am just tired of hearing about these "magic" intakes, and so forth...

nothing personal.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:56 AM

how are you the owner of fast lane performance your stupid. I would never by a part from u.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:14 AM

Thank you!

This is the point I've been trying to argue with him for a while now. All I ever get are vague inferences that his car is "far from stock" and he has so many secret mods. That and excuses as to why his stuff isn't verifiable on a dyno or at the track. And accusations that I'm jealous because I can't do what he does, something along those lines.

And the only proof that he has are pictures of his car while it was almost stock, and an old timeslip that shows a mid 15 sec. quarter.

Originally posted by dmBK

i have a friend like that... he's a good guy. but he talks a lot. we, as his friends know by what % we should "discount" his statements to get a "truer" picture. i dont know u personally, so i cant judge the validity of your statements, but they are "out there", and until there is some proof (real proof), most of us are doubting you. u know the only way to back your statements is to show what you are talking about. u can hide all the details of your mods and innovations, as you have a right to do so, but still you need to do more than to give vague statements. if you are afraid of copycats, lay your fears to rest - any serious mod that you might have could not be easily duplicated (if at all) without the complete specs (which you have a right to hide), and most people have no skill/time/knowledge necessary to produce an exact copy of what you havethat would function properly. thats what R&D is all about, and at leaast 7-figure budget is needed for anything worthwile.
everyone can make an FSTB. some will make it correctly. and its just a "straight" bar with adjustable links.
so, as they say "put up or shut up". you have a right to do either. but i am just tired of hearing about these "magic" intakes, and so forth...

nothing personal.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Alright fellas, the key word here is "EXTREME"

Just because you're a student in aerospace engineering, doesn't necessarily mean you know squat about cars. You still continue to suggest you have this Skunk Works-like Maxima that seems to be kept at Area 51. Truth is you've got a mid-15 second slip under your belt which is terribly impressive for a modded Maxima. As for your special "tuned" intakes, seriously, do some research. The difference between a lengthy CAI and short hybrid intake is about 1-2hp at best. You guys at FLP apparantly think that adjusting intake pipe length works some kind of magic on the VQs breathing ability. JOKE!!! The limiting factor of the 4th gen VQ is revs and it's the intake manifold and cams that hold it back. As of right now, the only way to overcome the stock intake manifold's poor upper rpm performance is to either get an SC and force air in and/or get the MEVI and use a tuned-resonance setup. Cams do help, but they're not as significant as the SC or MEVI.

Dave
Old 05-29-2003, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

Alright fellas, the key word here is "EXTREME"

Just because you're a student in aerospace engineering, doesn't necessarily mean you know squat about cars. You still continue to suggest you have this Skunk Works-like Maxima that seems to be kept at Area 51. Truth is you've got a mid-15 second slip under your belt which is terribly impressive for a modded Maxima. As for your special "tuned" intakes, seriously, do some research. The difference between a lengthy CAI and short hybrid intake is about 1-2hp at best. You guys at FLP apparantly think that adjusting intake pipe length works some kind of magic on the VQs breathing ability. JOKE!!! The limiting factor of the 4th gen VQ is revs and it's the intake manifold and cams that hold it back. As of right now, the only way to overcome the stock intake manifold's poor upper rpm performance is to either get an SC and force air in and/or get the MEVI and use a tuned-resonance setup. Cams do help, but they're not as significant as the SC or MEVI.
Dave
I would buy from him.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:48 PM
silver99

Did he say honda?

Old 05-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Banned

some people talk to much. or in this case type.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:44 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

-Adding the stillen body kit has made my doors screetch when they shut. (rivets in side rockers) I'm on my second front lip too, and it has nasty gashes on the bottom and even in the front

-Adding B&G springs has made my stock struts noisy and clanky

-Adding my mesh grille valances has resulted in gashes and scrapes in the front bumper area from trying to fit them in

-Adding my 18x8.5's has decreased breaking performance heavily over stock

Having noted some of the drawbacks of modding, do I regret it? Not at all. If you mess with a factory part, don't always expect a perfect result. The benefits from modding greatly outway the negitives IMO and thats why I do it. Don't add an intake or exhaust if you don't want noise. Don't mess with the suspension if you don't want your ride quality altered. Don't mess with the cosmetics if you expect everything to always look and install perfectly.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:01 AM

Craig mack, you've got the gist of it.

As for the others:

Shadow-Where have you seen me post a mid-15 second timeslip? I've never posted a timeslip ever. I've never withheld information about the specs on my car. Search and you will find them. Its hard to get all of this dyno proof and track time that you people always want. Tracks are not open 24-hours a day around here. I do have a job. What do your care anyway? Aren't you supercharged?

dmbK- If I recall, weren't you trying to order an intake from us? Surely you were impressed with our technology then. The only reason you didn't order one was because I wouldn't make you one in chrome. You don't need a 7-figure budget to make auto parts. You just need know how and to know the right people.

DaveB-Mr. Bronson, I'm truely sick of you. I'm a manager at Advance Auto Parts, who soley hired me because of my knowledge of cars. I am also an ASE certified Master Techician and used to be an Assistant Manager at at Midas. I've been working on cars since I was 12 and designing parts since I was 16. Now that you know my resume, I'm not your average .Org member just claiming that know my stuff. I actually do. In the DC area, everyone has my number and constantly calls me for advice on their next mods. I have had a hand in almost every modded Maxima in this area. They know my car and its capabilities. I don't hide anything except for mods that haven't come out yet. We don't make just intakes. As a matter of fact, those can only be special ordered in the local area only. I have bigger things to work on. My intake manifold has had some work done to it on both the upper and lower plenum . The heads have been opened up, the exhaust manifold has also been opened up. This is not your average Maxima. Cams are not limiting the VQ, the stock cams are just fine. They do their job. Why don't you just stop talking a bunch of s*** and spewing misinformation so that the .Org members can actually get something useful. We need to have some type of national meet so that you can see this car and shut your dumb a** up.

H.N.I.C.95 I wouldn't sell anything to you anyway. My products are for people who want to take their modding to another level. You are listening to Dave B who is the exact type of person this post speaks about in the first place.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:03 AM

Craig mack, you've got the gist of it.

As for the others:

Shadow-Where have you seen me post a mid-15 second timeslip? I've never posted a timeslip ever. I've never withheld information about the specs on my car. Search and you will find them. Its hard to get all of this dyno proof and track time that you people always want. Tracks are not open 24-hours a day around here. I do have a job. What do your care anyway? Aren't you supercharged?

dmbK- If I recall, weren't you trying to order an intake from us? Surely you were impressed with our technology then. The only reason you didn't order one was because I wouldn't make you one in chrome. You don't need a 7-figure budget to make auto parts. You just need know how and to know the right people.

DaveB-Mr. Bronson, I'm truely sick of you. I'm a manager at Advance Auto Parts, who soley hired me because of my knowledge of cars. I am also an ASE certified Master Techician and used to be an Assistant Manager at at Midas. I've been working on cars since I was 12 and designing parts since I was 16. Now that you know my resume, I'm not your average .Org member just claiming that know my stuff. I actually do. In the DC area, everyone has my number and constantly calls me for advice on their next mods. I have had a hand in almost every modded Maxima in this area. They know my car and its capabilities. I don't hide anything except for mods that haven't come out yet. We don't make just intakes. As a matter of fact, those can only be special ordered in the local area only. I have bigger things to work on. My intake manifold has had some work done to it on both the upper and lower plenum . The heads have been opened up, the exhaust manifold has also been opened up. This is not your average Maxima. Cams are not limiting the VQ, the stock cams are just fine. They do their job. Why don't you just stop talking a bunch of s*** and spewing misinformation so that the .Org members can actually get something useful. We need to have some type of national meet so that you can see this car and shut your dumb a** up.

H.N.I.C.95 I wouldn't sell anything to you anyway. My products are for people who want to take their modding to another level. You are listening to Dave B who is the exact type of person this post speaks about in the first place.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:03 AM
I'm so hood

Don't add an intake or exhaust if you don't want noise. Don't mess with the suspension if you don't want your ride quality altered. Don't mess with the cosmetics if you expect everything to always look and install perfectly.
What if a full exhaust setup with a 5th-gen muffler was good enough for you? What if someone is complaining about a 4cyl-type droning noise instead of the grumble they hear on their friends maxima w/exhaust? Are you going to tell them to get a resonator/different muffler, or are you going to say, "Sorry kid, that's the price you pay for increased performance"? Don't tell me Craig wouldn't complain if he set up a dual system and it buzzed like a modified CRX...that'd be like his worst nightmare!

What if you were messing with the suspension to enhance the ride quality in the first place? (OK, so I know stock to aftermarket, nobody really does this, but say some guy switching out SE to GLE parts, or going from one aftermarket to another that is supposed to have the desired effect, but ends up falling short)

What if the cosmetics were something like CM diamond-cut clears like mine, where one pops out 10 seconds into a ride, and the other is lacking a good seal (not just a small leak, an obvious all-around missed seal)?

It is possible to blend performance with a comfortable NVH level....it is possible to have a quality control issue on suspension products or to leave some room for improvement in the installation of the products...it is possible to have quality control issues in cosmetics where perhaps one company has a better rep than another (I thought CM's clears were reputable too, but I guess I got the "honduh kid clears quality" batch).

People can be too quick to complain about things (and too general), can expect the wrong results from modding, and can not do enough research before going forth with things, but the above issues are also possibilities. They shouldn't be downplayed just for the sake of saving or increasing the aftermarket modification world's reputation alone. If you're not worried about that reputation, then I don't really understand why you're complaining about people complaining - do you really care about the whiny bastids anyway?