4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

JWT ecu ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 05:57 PM
"I'm running with scissors!"

JWT ecu ?'s

i have a 96 auto. i was wondering with the raised rev limiter will the tranny shift at higher rpm than stock? or would i hafta keep it in a certain gear to make it rev that high?
Old 05-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't have an auto, but I'm pretty sure you have to manually shift to go above stock rev limiter. I think that really limits it's usefulness in day to day driving.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:22 PM

only if you manually shift it and leave OD off on the highway if you ever go that fast
Old 05-28-2003, 06:26 PM
Old Maxima Legend

i have a 97 manual, my vehicle speed sensor is not working, i checked the codes and also had nissan take a look and its gone bad. i have hesitated to have it fixed because i can go over the rev limiter now, its like that function is gone. Used to if you reached a certain point in rpms it would shut you down so you just shifted real quick, but now there is limiter on mine. my guess is that my vehicle speed sensor is shot
Old 05-28-2003, 07:44 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by Ceasars Chariot
i have a 97 manual, my vehicle speed sensor is not working, i checked the codes and also had nissan take a look and its gone bad. i have hesitated to have it fixed because i can go over the rev limiter now, its like that function is gone. Used to if you reached a certain point in rpms it would shut you down so you just shifted real quick, but now there is limiter on mine. my guess is that my vehicle speed sensor is shot

Wait wait wait... do you mean that you can go over the stock RPM limiter (6550rpms, looks like about 6700 on the tach) or do you mean you can go over the old GOVERNOR at 116mph? If you mean your RPMS are no longer limited then that's a huge thing for guys with MEVI who don't want to drop another $600 on an ecu.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:04 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Wait wait wait... do you mean that you can go over the stock RPM limiter (6550rpms, looks like about 6700 on the tach) or do you mean you can go over the old GOVERNOR at 116mph? If you mean your RPMS are no longer limited then that's a huge thing for guys with MEVI who don't want to drop another $600 on an ecu.
jk lol yeah thats some serious news for ya'll hoodlums with the mevis!
Old 05-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

explain your self....
Old 05-28-2003, 09:44 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

im guessing that he means you have no rev limit... because he said you have to shift real quick... so everyone... torch your speed sensors and no need for the jwt ecu! lol
Old 05-28-2003, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by nismos14
im guessing that he means you have no rev limit... because he said you have to shift real quick... so everyone... torch your speed sensors and no need for the jwt ecu! lol
if you did that on an auto, wouldn't it just keep revving till you blew your motor????
or does the tranny's computer shift it before that would occur
Old 05-28-2003, 10:50 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally posted by mayhemI30

if you did that on an auto, wouldn't it just keep revving till you blew your motor????
or does the tranny's computer shift it before that would occur
the trannies computer would do the shift, but if u kept in a specific gear on an auto trans, sky's the limit...
Old 05-28-2003, 11:10 PM

the trannies computer would do the shift, but if u kept in a specific gear on an auto trans, sky's the limit...
someone should look into this a little bit more. it would make alot of mevi owners happy.
how hard on motor would it be, could it affect the motors longevity, is it safe.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:01 AM

I dont think i have a rev limiter either, if i do i havent hit it in 2 years.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Since he has a 97SE, the only limiters he has are rpms and in the auto tranny logic when he leaves it in D.

DW
Old 05-29-2003, 06:48 AM

I was wondering about this just the other night. Looks like a little research with the FSM and a little experimentation is in order.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

I was wondering about this just the other night. Looks like a little research with the FSM and a little experimentation is in order.
On second thought, why would the speed sensor have anything to do with rpm cutoff? The speed sensor doesn't monitor rpm, just drive axle rotation speed. If you're talking about the speed sensor on the transmission, that is.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:03 AM
SLOW

Someone get that dude back in here to clarify...
Old 05-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Old Maxima Legend

Rev limiter

Originally posted by Nealoc187

My car has no rev limit. I remember when it was brand new. I took off flying down an on ramp getting on to the interstate. I took off in first and the car shut down..i was like what ?? then i could tell that if i went to high in the rpms, the car would "shut off so to speak" i guess it is for safety reasons, but like i was saying.. i have noticed that the max no longer does this anymore. I have gotten used to it now, but i will go out and check and make for certain.

Now since im not close to being a mechanic, my guessing will probably be bad, but i thought it might have something to do with my vehicle speed sensor being out. I checked the codes a while back and thats what came up, then i went to nissan and told them to check it and they also said it was out. said it would be around 97 dollars to replace.

it may take a mechanically minded person to review the vehicle speed sensor being out to determine if this could cause the revs no to be limited.

Again I will verify all this for certain but im almost 95 percent certain the car does not limit the rpms anymore.

as for as the governor thing. I do not have that either. i can stick the needle on 140 ..
Old 05-29-2003, 10:48 AM

Re: Rev limiter

My car has no rev limit. I remember when it was brand new. I took off flying down an on ramp getting on to the interstate. I took off in first and the car shut down..i was like what ?? then i could tell that if i went to high in the rpms, the car would "shut off so to speak" i guess it is for safety reasons, but like i was saying.. i have noticed that the max no longer does this anymore. I have gotten used to it now, but i will go out and check and make for certain.

Now since im not close to being a mechanic, my guessing will probably be bad, but i thought it might have something to do with my vehicle speed sensor being out. I checked the codes a while back and thats what came up, then i went to nissan and told them to check it and they also said it was out. said it would be around 97 dollars to replace.

it may take a mechanically minded person to review the vehicle speed sensor being out to determine if this could cause the revs no to be limited.

Again I will verify all this for certain but im almost 95 percent certain the car does not limit the rpms anymore.

as for as the governor thing. I do not have that either. i can stick the needle on 140 ..
If we can figure this out and come up with an easy rev limit override, then I nominate this for Post of The Year.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:02 AM

Re: Re: Rev limiter

If we can figure this out and come up with an easy rev limit override, then I nominate this for Post of The Year.
i'll look into it a little bit more. i know two shops where i live that are good with imports i'll ask around and see what they say. a few other people should check into it too.

7200 rpm redline: $0.00
the grin on every max/I30 owners face: priceless
Old 05-29-2003, 12:18 PM
Old Maxima Legend

hey , just got back to work. first i want to say, im no mechanic, and i dont know anything about engines, last week i had the dealership clean out my throttle body, cost me $110 .. but anyways back to the rev limiter thing. I can redline the car and its up to me to shift, the car is not cutting off like it did. I was reading another persons post that said they didnt think theirs was working either, and for me it was the same thing. I thought about it once in a while, but when i read this post i thought i would toss my two cents in, because i drive the chariot hard..and then it dawned on me ..the car isnt cutting out.

As to way the car is not limiting the revs, i cannot say. I do know that i have a service engine soon light on. I read the codes and it said vehicle speed sensor. Then like i said nissan checked the sensor and said it was gone and i should get a new one. they priced it and that was that. They did not act like it was a big deal and just left it up to me. So I havent gotten it fixed.

Here is something to think about. from the sensor not working in the car, i have no cruise control, and mysterious gas mileage. it seems that my car uses more gas than i think it should. again, nothing im saying is set in stone because i lack the mechanical knowledge to pinpoint it. all i can say is that my rev limiter is not working, and i thought maybe the speed sensor might have something to do with it. i guess i could always go in and have it fixed and then report in. but it will be sometime, i have a long list of mods. and i mean long !
Old 05-29-2003, 12:26 PM

Does you Spedometer work??
Old 05-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I guess I'm confused because the "fuel cut" is controlled by the ECU. It simply uses the rpm signal (from the coil packs) and when your rpms exceed 6550rpms, the motor hits the rev-limiter/fuel cut. Our tachs are off by about 200-400rpms depending on gear. I suggest that you guys that say you don't have any sort of fuel-cut go out and do a test run 2nd gear and take it to an indicated 7000rpms. Technically you shouldn't be able to got over an indicated 6700-6800rpms before you hit the fuel-cut. It should make a "baaa...baaa...baaa...baaa" sound when you hit it.

I have a hard time believing Nissan about be fine with you being able to technically blow up you motor by revving to 8000+rpms. Are you sure you're not confusing this with the top speed limiter?

Dave
Old 05-29-2003, 12:57 PM

Re: Re: Rev limiter

Hmmm. Well, curiosity wouldn't leave me alone, so I took a break and went out to my car and disconnected the speed sensor from its harness and went for a drive. Two observations:

1. Speedometer and odometer didn't work.
2. I accelerated in first gear, partial throttle, and hit the rev limiter, just like usual.

So either something else is going on with Caesar's car, or maybe I'm not understanding what he's saying. But I'm going to have to withdraw my nomination.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:31 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

can't u kill the rpm limiter by cutting a specific signal wire from the ecu? or rigging it to connect to a different source so as to tell the ecu that there is nothing wrong with the rpm's?
Old 05-29-2003, 01:40 PM

can't u kill the rpm limiter by cutting a specific signal wire from the ecu? or rigging it to connect to a different source so as to tell the ecu that there is nothing wrong with the rpm's?
I don't think there is such an easy rig. From studying the FSM, it seems that the tach signal comes from the crankshaft position sensor. If you mess with that, then you affect activation timing of the fuel injectors.

It may just be a simple modification made to the ECU, but I think that's a pretty closely guarded secret.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:11 PM

It may just be a simple modification made to the ECU, but I think that's a pretty closely guarded secret.
well maybe we should look into it.
(A little story)
about a year ago my buddy with a turbo t-bird auto, the last year that they made them, got his ecu reprogramed with some tool(looked like a scan tool but it wasn't) that plugged into the scan port. he upped his redline like 700rpm, changed the shift points, fuel curve, and ignition timing.
he said that it is the same tool that they used to reprogram police car motors. have any of you guys heard of somethiing like that? maybe it could work for us?
Old 05-29-2003, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by mayhemI30

well maybe we should look into it.
(A little story)
about a year ago my buddy with a turbo t-bird auto, the last year that they made them, got his ecu reprogramed with some tool(looked like a scan tool but it wasn't) that plugged into the scan port. he upped his redline like 700rpm, changed the shift points, fuel curve, and ignition timing.
he said that it is the same tool that they used to reprogram police car motors. have any of you guys heard of somethiing like that? maybe it could work for us?
I have the JWT/ECU now , so I cant test it again. But I didnt have it when I had the blower on, and I hit 7000 rpms alot when I had it.