4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please read, regarding aftermarket performance mods.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 05:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Please read, regarding aftermarket performance mods.

I've been reading many of the posts on here for quite some time, and quite honestly I have learned a lot from you guys. I feel much more comfortable understanding many of the concepts that are involved with my car. As most people, I ofcourse too started off with doing exterior mods first, mods which have no affect on performance. However; I often read stories about problems as a result of people adding aftermarket performance parts on their car. I too am in the same boat, I have a stock Maxima when it comes to performance, but I want to add a y pipe, catback exhaust, intake, MEVI, etc. But what are the side effects? I mean are the aftermarket performance mods designed to perform BETTER than stock parts. If so then why are aftermarket parts so cheap I'll give you guys an example a stock y pipe cost 1600, a budget y pipe cost 160. Why couldn't Nissan think of a design relating to the technology of Budget Exhaust. I mean I'm trying to understand these things. Lastly, I ofcourse want to mod and go faster. But I mean we all talk about street racing and how dangerous it is, and how we get in trouble if we post about street racing. Then why do we add performance parts, why are we allowed to chat about performance parts which ALLOW US TO GO FASTER, SHIFT FASTER, etc? What are the real benefits other than speed of aftermarket performance parts? I mean don't get me wrong I'm not saying modding is wrong, hell I can't wait to start adding performance mods but I want to understand the ligiustics of performance mods, the benefits, and the side effects. Anyone wish to comment please feel free to do so. I'm not trying to start a flame war or nothing I'm just trying to understand the concept of modding.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:56 PM

Well I think we want to go faster thats all really.I mean look at the age of muscle cars they flew. Horsepower was everything. We want to just move faster, we have faith in our cars. I go to the track anyway I don't Street Race.....I'm so not into that scene that 2F2F doesn't even turn my head. PLus I feel our cars have a very sharp look and why not put some power behind it? I dunno......like I tell my friends about modding...

Why the Hell not?!?!?
Old 06-06-2003, 05:59 PM

No bro I completely agree with you I'm in the same boat as you. But I don't want to affect the overall reliability of my car by adding aftermarket performance parts. Can someone whos had aftermarket parts for quite some time comment? I mean did the realiability go down the drain, was anything severly affected?
Old 06-06-2003, 06:11 PM

Any N/A go-fast mod does nothing to shorten the life of your car. If anything, they allow your engine to operate more efficiently, hence the increase in power. Where you start to run into some long-term reliablity issues is if you add forced induction and/or nitrous. Because with that power comes the responsibilty of having to upgrade other components of the car. I.E. tranny, suspension, braking, etc.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:15 PM

You're referring to NOS and Superchargers correct?
Old 06-06-2003, 06:19 PM

Yes. Nitrous oxide (NOS is a brand name ) and turbos/superchargers.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:31 PM

the dealer dosent offer the aftermarket y pipe design because technically they arent legal. the y pipe eliminates our precats which keep us smog legal until our cars warm up.

and the dealer charges so much for one reason BECAUSE THEY CAN

i have a cai y pipe and vb with tranny cooler ONLY because ive read every thread i could find on them since last august when i got the car. i will not buy the part if it affects the reliablity of the car. as of now im researching the pros and cons of suspension work.

good luck
Old 06-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

Nissan also charges booktime for repairs, no sense beating a dead horse there. Performance parts are like it says, for performance. No one says you have to street race, there are plenty of other times to feel the difference. Most bolt ons if fully researched and installed properly, will not affect the daily reliability of the car. Suspension parts can greatly improve the handling of the car which is designed for its massive target market (insert laugh here). Of course that can come at a price (stiff/harsh). Having an idea of what you want and what is acceptable (in terms of ride comfort)is a good idea before getting started on suspension mods like springs/shocks.

Of course, forced induction is more fun, but be prepared for downtime
Old 06-06-2003, 09:46 PM

Now if you add in MEVI, and such to play you think they're made availble for U.S. made cars? I mean do the Maximas in the mid. east share the same components as those of the Maximas in the U.S.? I definantly want to get an Injen CAI, with a Budget Y as for my first performance mods, any comments on the Injen CAI?
Old 06-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'll explain one thing about SOME aftermarket mods.

I know for a fact, if you buy an Ford "F-150" in mexico, it's about 4K less (of course you have to add Mexican taxes in mexico, thats a whole diff story).

Why is it 4K less? Because of emissions. We in this great country pay for our big blue skies. One thing we pay for is great emissions equipments (computers, pre-cats, etc.).

It's as simple as that. All that emissions crap like pre-cats add up, not to mention every other restriction Nissan had to comply with to sell Maxima's and other cars in the great ol USA.

Mexican ford "F-150's" are hel*a lot more simpler than our F-150's.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Confused
Nissan also charges booktime for repairs, no sense beating a dead horse there. Performance parts are like it says, for performance. No one says you have to street race, there are plenty of other times to feel the difference. Most bolt ons if fully researched and installed properly, will not affect the daily reliability of the car. Suspension parts can greatly improve the handling of the car which is designed for its massive target market (insert laugh here). Of course that can come at a price (stiff/harsh). Having an idea of what you want and what is acceptable (in terms of ride comfort)is a good idea before getting started on suspension mods like springs/shocks.

Of course, forced induction is more fun, but be prepared for downtime
Now thats a supercharger that your car has... or atleast what yoru picture shows? or a turbo im not too sure... But how much HP did that add to your car.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by mblasko85

Now thats a supercharger that your car has... or atleast what yoru picture shows? or a turbo im not too sure... But how much HP did that add to your car.
According to the dyno on his homepage, approximatly 160hp was added thanks to the mods.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by izzydig
I'll explain one thing about SOME aftermarket mods.

I know for a fact, if you buy an Ford "F-150" in mexico, it's about 4K less (of course you have to add Mexican taxes in mexico, thats a whole diff story).

Why is it 4K less? Because of emissions. We in this great country pay for our big blue skies. One thing we pay for is great emissions equipments (computers, pre-cats, etc.).

It's as simple as that. All that emissions crap like pre-cats add up, not to mention every other restriction Nissan had to comply with to sell Maxima's and other cars in the great ol USA.

Mexican ford "F-150's" are hel*a lot more simpler than our F-150's.

I don't have a Cat
Old 06-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

in addition to emissions control, the economies of scale are also smaller thus requiring cheaper cars.. ie. the bug available for so many years.