4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

got my maxima! just a few questions though

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 05:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I finally got my Maxima after being without one for one whole year. It's a 1995 5spd SE model, fully loaded minus cold weather package (heated seats, heavy duty battery, etc). It has 140k miles on it, but runs like new. The body is in near mint condition, never been in any accidents (all original paint and panels).

Anyway, I have a few questions about it.

1) The A/C doesn't work. I'm not sure that it would be a simple recharge because when I turn on the A/C (auto), you don't hear the compressor engaging (no change in engine speed). The accessory belt is also loose and makes a squeak on start up. What do you think is causing the A/C not to work? I've heard things from the compressor, clutch, to even more difficult replacements such as the condensor and evaporator.

2) There is a groaning noise coming from the rear when the car is rolling slowly (about 5 mph). I think this might be the rear brakes engaging, even when the brake pedal isn't pressed. What do you think I would need to replace? Would I need to replace the calipers? Or would a simple rotor / pad replacement do the trick?

3) A slight tick noise comes from the front of the car when I am riding the clutch a bit in first gear. The clutch was replaced about 15k miles ago with a Nissan clutch kit. What do you think is causing this?

Thanks everyone for the help. Other than these minor annoyances, I'm very happy with the car.

-Brian.

PS: I don't know what happened with my original post.. oh well.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:05 PM

Hey about #2, when I bought my Maxima it did that. From what I can tel it is a not uncommon product of a malfunctioning e-brake. That was a ***** to get fixed, because then they left some cables loose and the problem was actuall exacerbated until I took it into the dealership and shouted the kid's earings off.

See if you can find something online or in the FAQ about a common e-brake malfunction, and see if you can check your car against the info you find.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the response!

I'm not sure that it's just the e-brake now, because it seems to happen at almost any speed. While driving at 25-30 mph, I could hear a rubbing noise. As I come to a complete stop, the rubbing sound turns into a grinding noise. Would that still be a problem with the e-brake?

Thanks again,
-Brian.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:49 PM

Also can anyone recommend a good place to order parts online from? Is there anyone on Maxima.org that gives discounts on genuine Nissan parts?

Thanks.
-Brian.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:29 AM

Anyone?
Old 06-12-2003, 07:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MoogieBoogie
Also can anyone recommend a good place to order parts online from? Is there anyone on Maxima.org that gives discounts on genuine Nissan parts?

Thanks.
-Brian.
JrNissan.com 25% discount
Old 06-12-2003, 08:48 AM
Jedi Knight

MoogieBoogie, you might have a stuck caliper...thus the constant sound or grinding on the rear...that is not uncommon, so look into that...might be easier just to get new caliper rather than rebuild that one...also I think Courtesynissan.com also gives a discount on stuff. good luck with the problems
Old 06-12-2003, 11:16 AM

1) The A/C doesn't work. I'm not sure that it would be a simple recharge because when I turn on the A/C (auto), you don't hear the compressor engaging (no change in engine speed). The accessory belt is also loose and makes a squeak on start up. What do you think is causing the A/C not to work? I've heard things from the compressor, clutch, to even more difficult replacements such as the condensor and evaporator.
The AC system is complicated, and there are many things that could cause it to "not work". The best case scenario would be that it needed a recharge, which will in fact prevent the compressor from engaging. There is a pressure switch that will shut the system down if there is a lack of refrigerant.

Your best bet, if you're handy, is buying a Haynes manual and following the diagnosis steps. If you're not handy, there isn't much you can do except pay someone to look at it.

2) There is a groaning noise coming from the rear when the car is rolling slowly (about 5 mph). I think this might be the rear brakes engaging, even when the brake pedal isn't pressed. What do you think I would need to replace? Would I need to replace the calipers? Or would a simple rotor / pad replacement do the trick?
Someone mentioned a stuck caliper. It could also be a seized parking brake cable, which I have heard is relatively easy to fix.

3) A slight tick noise comes from the front of the car when I am riding the clutch a bit in first gear. The clutch was replaced about 15k miles ago with a Nissan clutch kit. What do you think is causing this?
Nissan clutches are known to suck, especially the least expensive of the line. Hopefully this is just a symptom of that suckage and not something more serious.

Congrats on the new ride, and have fun.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:41 PM

also note, the parking brake cable can get in the way of suspension parts and framework when the car is lifted then put back down again. over the years the cable makes it way under a suspension part near the rer passenger wheel casuing it to get stuck and rip the rubber coating of the e brake cable. When you get chance crawl under your car, right under the rear passneger door and observer the e-brake cable (pretty close to the door under the car). If its stuck there then grab it and pull it away, the metal braket will bend. Bend away as far as you can.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:26 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments, suggestions, and advice.

Turns out that the A/C wasn't working because there was no refrigerant. I had it filled and they pressure tested it for leaks. Finally, no more sweating in the humid summer weather (although it's been raining almost every other day).

As for the brakes, the mechanic told me that I shouldn't drive the car while the brakes are in that condition. He told me that if I continue to do so, the caliper might come off and leak brake fluid, leading to a pressure drop in the system, and none of my brakes will work. He also told me that it could be that the caliper pins are misaligned? I think I'm going to go ahead and replace the caliper anyway while he has it taken apart.

I'm also going to check out the prices on the two sites recommended here. Thanks everyone again.

-Brian.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by BatKeith
Hey about #2, when I bought my Maxima it did that. From what I can tel it is a not uncommon product of a malfunctioning e-brake. That was a ***** to get fixed
same thing happened to my e-brake. It was engaging when the e-brake was released. P.I.T.A to have fixed. I had my mechanic do it. I don't take my car to the dealer!
Old 06-13-2003, 05:42 AM

As for the brakes, the mechanic told me that I shouldn't drive the car while the brakes are in that condition. He told me that if I continue to do so, the caliper might come off and leak brake fluid, leading to a pressure drop in the system, and none of my brakes will work. He also told me that it could be that the caliper pins are misaligned? I think I'm going to go ahead and replace the caliper anyway while he has it taken apart.
You might want to look for a new mechanic. Calipers don't just "come off".
Old 06-13-2003, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by 95CustomMaxima

JrNissan.com 25% discount
is that a code or a website? If its a code, for what site?
Old 06-13-2003, 01:10 PM

Hey, didn't I buy my Maxima from you? Your nick sounds familiar.. and you're from NJ too. Just an update on my car if it's you: I haven't driven it for about 6 months now. The tranny died on me over winter break so I drove my sister's car down to Atlanta for this past semester and now I'm in Europe all summer. She put 2k miles on it in half a year, hehe. But she was kind of a new stick driver, so I'm fearing the condition of the rebuilt tranny being broken in by a new driver. Kinda sucks, but oh well things happen...

Mike
Old 06-13-2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Parsec
Hey, didn't I buy my Maxima from you? Your nick sounds familiar.. and you're from NJ too. Just an update on my car if it's you: I haven't driven it for about 6 months now. The tranny died on me over winter break so I drove my sister's car down to Atlanta for this past semester and now I'm in Europe all summer. She put 2k miles on it in half a year, hehe. But she was kind of a new stick driver, so I'm fearing the condition of the rebuilt tranny being broken in by a new driver. Kinda sucks, but oh well things happen...

Mike
Hey Mike,

I think I sold my old Maxima to you - it was to someone named Mike who was a student at Georgia Tech. The tranny died? How did that happen? Other than that, how is the car running? The guy who did all the work on that car specializes in transmissions.

Send me an e-mail sometime and let's meet up. I miss my old car - it was something I regret doing (and so, I purchased another Maxima). If you don't have my e-mail, give me yours.

-Brian.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:25 PM

Thanks again to everyone for the responses.

I can't seem to find the website for jrnissan.com. It doesn't seem to work.

I got prices for my local dealer and they told me that rear rotors sell for $96.70, pads for the rear are $65.00, and a rear passenger caliper is $343.00. Yikes.

-Brian.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:14 PM

Hey Brian,
My email's gte980p@prism.gatech.edu , I won't be back in NJ until late July/early Aug though. And then I'm leaving again for Atl mid Aug. But if you wanna meet up sometime between then, that'd be cool. You can take a look at your old baby again It still looks the same as before... actually I'll talk about this in the email.. just hit me up when you see this. btw, jrnissan is www.jerryromenissan.com