4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Squeaky Strut Mount ?s

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 12:49 PM

Squeaky Strut Mount ?s

My car now has 93k miles on it and the front right strut mount is making a horrible squeky noise everytime I go over a bump or even when I make a turn and it leans. I currently have some H&Rs that I'm waiting to install when I get my KYB struts. My question is should I just replace the strut mount with a OE/or whatever pepboys can get? Or is there a better kind of strut mount available? What are my options, pros/cons? All I know that you can get with the KYB are the dust covers, which I'm not getting. Unless someone gives me a good reason. Thanks for listening and for the advice!
Old 06-12-2003, 01:06 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Are you sure it's the mount and not the strut itself? A blown strut will cause excessive body roll, not a broken mount per say. Look at the mounts from the engine compartment, they should look clean, no torn up rubber inside them and the strut bolt should be securely centered in the mount.

KYB Dust covers -
1) Shorter bump stop to give back suspension travel on a lowered vehicle.
2) Cheaper then OEM $$$
3) Available at just about any auto parts store
4) May last longer then OEM dust covers

Old 06-13-2003, 08:50 AM

I took a look and the rubber is cracked. Plus the strut mount prong thingy is leaning against the side. I pushed down and saw/heard to problem. It is the strut mount. Are there any aftermarket/peformance strut mounts available? Other than the dust cover are there anymore supension accessories? Thanks njmaxseltd!
Old 06-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I've got a set of KYB strut mounts I could sell to you cheap. PM me for details if your interested.

As far as other suspension accessories. Get the Eurathane(sp?) sway bar end link bushings from Courtesy Nissan. Your old bushings are probably all compressed by now anyhow.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:29 AM

same wit me..right side mount leans, need new mount.. it always the right for some reason when someones mount blows
Old 06-13-2003, 11:02 AM

I have the same problem on the drivers side. My stut mount is messed up and causes a squeaking sound. I know its the strut mount because I checked under the hood and when I turn the whell you can see the top spindle moving, when it shouldnt be. So I bought one online for $35.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:07 PM

I hear there are some KYB strut mounts available. Are these any better than the OE ones? And will they work with stock struts? I'm getting KYB AGXs but not any time soon. I'd like to have the KYB strut mounts if they improve your suspension or last longer I'm just not sure if they would work with stock struts. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by D1NOnly34
I have the same problem on the drivers side. My stut mount is messed up and causes a squeaking sound. I know its the strut mount because I checked under the hood and when I turn the whell you can see the top spindle moving, when it shouldnt be. So I bought one online for $35.
All you need to do to verify a bad strut mount is to push on the front side with the questionable mount and watch to see if the rubber inside the mount moves up and down with the car's movement.

A good mount will not move (actually, just a very, very small amount).

Tim
Old 06-13-2003, 03:12 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally posted by Chino
I hear there are some KYB strut mounts available. Are these any better than the OE ones? And will they work with stock struts? I'm getting KYB AGXs but not any time soon. I'd like to have the KYB strut mounts if they improve your suspension or last longer I'm just not sure if they would work with stock struts. Thanks.

Here is the Link where I bought Mine from.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/k...unt+%28each%29