4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mounting a fire extinguisher...NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 07:52 PM

Mounting a fire extinguisher...NEED HELP

I got one for racing by request of the parents. I think I will only mount it when I race. It has a small bracket so I was thinking I could screw the bracket into the floor under the passenger seat and then just put the extinguisher in there when I go racing. Is that even possible? to drill into the floor? will i mess anything up? Not worried about having holes there as far as looks go because its under my seat. I am just worried about poking a hole where I am not supposed to. That was just one idea I had for mounting.

It is a decent size extinguisher so it isnt going to fit on the A or C pillar like some Ricers got. It will actually do something if you know what I mean. I think I need it someplace close to me in the cockpit so under the passenger seat was my idea. Especially since I don't plan on going to the dragstrip with that seat ever in.

Any opinions or new ideas would help...THANKS.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:31 PM

Mine's in my trunk, but you could mount your to the "hump" in the middle of the car, or in front of the passenger seat...mount it towards the rear seat, not through the floor.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:46 PM

From my personal experience, here are a few things to think about...

1) Most sanctioning bodies require metal-to-metal mounts. They don't want that 10lb extunguisher bouncing around the inside of the car if you have an incident and will send you home if you are out of compliance. Check your GCR or rule book.

2) Most sanctioning bodies require that you can reach it when fully belted in -- so pick someplace at the driver's feet, just behind your seat or just behind the passenger seat. The top of the "hump" works too if allowed.

3) If you drill, watch out for brake lines and cables. It is a pain replacing the line for the LR or RR brake if you cut it. Wiring ain't fun either.

4) Pick a good unit. It used to be halon, but purple K or other 3rd gen substance works too.

Good luck!!
Old 06-26-2003, 11:45 PM

If you actually read the post you would see that hes not trying to be a ricer in any way. He's doing it to keep his parents happy. Its not in a visible spot so how would that be rice? Why dont you keep your immature comments to yourself.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by emoore924
From my personal experience, here are a few things to think about...

1) Most sanctioning bodies require metal-to-metal mounts. They don't want that 10lb extunguisher bouncing around the inside of the car if you have an incident and will send you home if you are out of compliance. Check your GCR or rule book.

2) Most sanctioning bodies require that you can reach it when fully belted in -- so pick someplace at the driver's feet, just behind your seat or just behind the passenger seat. The top of the "hump" works too if allowed.

3) If you drill, watch out for brake lines and cables. It is a pain replacing the line for the LR or RR brake if you cut it. Wiring ain't fun either.

4) Pick a good unit. It used to be halon, but purple K or other 3rd gen substance works too.

Good luck!!
I am not trying to pass any standards set my any sanctioning bodies. I just am mounting one for safety. I just got a plain old home/garage fire extinguisher from home depot.

Originally posted by maxfanfromohio
My opinion.
My opinion is you should read posts. Also the car I ran next to last night caught on fire halfway down the track so thats why my Dad bought the extinguisher for me. It was his idea. I do what I can to please.

Originally posted by quickie
If you actually read the post you would see that hes not trying to be a ricer in any way. He's doing it to keep his parents happy. Its not in a visible spot so how would that be rice? Why dont you keep your immature comments to yourself.
YOU are my favorite Noob ever! hehe.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by luckee2bhere

I am not trying to pass any standards set my any sanctioning bodies. I just am mounting one for safety. I just got a plain old home/garage fire extinguisher from home depot.
His point is that they may not pass you at tech if your extinguisher isn't up to their safety standards. Imagine a loosely installed extinguisher flying around inside a car that rolled. That shouldn't be a problem for you, but it is a consideration.
-hype
Old 06-27-2003, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by quickie
Hey, quickie:

I am glad you pointed that out about him not being a ricer, but I would like to know who it was that said something that upset you. Your comment is, well..."newbie-sounding"—could you clarify to whom you are talking and what you really mean?
Old 06-27-2003, 08:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The guy deleted his post. Read the tread. You will see the quote in there.

Originally posted by cam_honestiam

Hey, quickie:

I am glad you pointed that out about him not being a ricer, but I would like to know who it was that said something that upset you. Your comment is, well..."newbie-sounding"—could you clarify to whom you are talking and what you really mean?
Old 06-27-2003, 08:51 AM

I read the post, but until it "clicked," I did not know that the smilie was a "ricer smilie"—so many comments, not enough smilies...
Old 06-27-2003, 09:22 AM
Shiver me timbers.

Originally posted by cam_honestiam

Hey, quickie:

I stated that I thought fire extinguishers were ricey. I deleted the comment after reading the post without a beer in my hand. I was a little tipsy last night when I made the comment and did not realize what he was asking.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by maxfanfromohio

I stated that I thought fire extinguishers were ricey. I deleted the comment after reading the post without a beer in my hand. I was a little tipsy last night when I made the comment and did not realize what he was asking.
its all good.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'd say that mouting it under the passenger seat like you said is the best idea. Just look under the car to make sure you don't drill/screw it into anything important.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:18 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

The shop mounted my amp under the passenger seat so I doubt that will be a problem. Just make sure to check before you drill and seal the holes up with some kind of sealant.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:55 AM
Shiver me timbers.

Originally posted by luckee2bhere

its all good.

Thanks.