4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Solar Cooling System

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 08:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Solar Cooling System

Ok, so... this is going to sound strange, and a lot of you are going to try to discredit my entire project. Please, don’t bother with that, as I’ll do it anyway.

The summer is here, and the greenhouse is in effect as my car sits in the 90-degree weather of the parking lot outside. Even when I use my remote to roll the windows down before going to my car, it’s still pretty hot inside when I get there... so I’ve devised a plan.

I will install a solar panel on the rear deck, approximately 16 inches wide and 12 inches deep, to power two fans, which will cool the car. The solar cell will produce about 15 watts at 12 volts, more than is needed to power the two low-resistance computer fans I intend to use.

Now, here’s the part where I’m looking for feedback from people who have taken their car apart... where could I put the air intake and outtake? I don’t want them to be visible, and I also don’t want them to allow water in the car when I’m driving in the rain.

So far, one option I considered is running a small duct through the trunk compartment, maybe to the rear wheel well? Or to the compartment where the spare tire is stored. Maybe there’s a protected and hidden air cavity... like in the bumper, or something like that.

Other options... could I use the solar power to somehow run the car’s own heater/AC fan, to pump fresh air into and out of the car?

And of course, the simple options have been considered... “Just put your windows down...” or “Just park in the shade...” are either options I don’t have, or wouldn’t be willing to consider. This project is more-or-less seeking to address a problem with the design of today’s cars that almost all auto manufacturers have failed to consider.

Oh, the system would have an off-switch so I could allow the greenhouse thing to work to my advantage in the winter.

So, any thoughts on this project? I’m aware there’s also like stupid solar fans you can wedge in one window and it cools the car... For some strange reason the simple options just don’t seem cool enough.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:54 AM

Interesting project. Please let us know how well it cools the car down. I have been thinking about doing a similar thing for my car. My project is much simpler. Just a programmable timer that turns on the car's blower motor for a few minutes at a time in conjunction with a temperature sensor. I need to think this through so that I don't drain the car battery, though.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:25 AM

an excellent idea...

my ex-roommate had the same idea, but he never implemented it on his integra.

what do you think about powering the a/c blower fan, after the car is off? the intake and exhaust ports would already be taken care of this way.

i think audi had an option to get a solar cooling system, but it was very expensive... the solar cells were housed in the sunroof.

i imagine that you are going to suffer some power loss if you have tint on the rear window... it would be cool if the solar panels can be mounted on a sunshade, so when you parked the car, you put up the sunshade and plugged it into the system.

i'll have to ask my roommate about this, he bought a rigid solar panel, and a flexible one... i dont remember the specs on either one...

how much power do you need on the blower motor?

tommy
Old 07-01-2003, 11:11 AM
I'm so hood

I know you don't want any negative response, but how much would it help to simply move around hot air? When I think of what it would take to make a difference...I think of how much the ambient temperature effects my home CPU & mobo temp, with 9 fans inside, one of which is a 120mm that pushes 130CFM. The room temperature greatly sways the inside temps even with quite a bit of air pushing through. If my 9 CPU fans with the big dog included change the inside of my case's temp that's inside & not under direct sunlight by about 15 degrees, a couple CPU fans aren't going to help your car that much I don't think.

I think using the factory blower is more feasible and may help out some, but wouldn't it still be like running the fan w/o A/C? Maybe that's enough though, combined with a sunshade and tint on the windows (I'm assuming two things you've already tried/have?). Sorry I don't have any information here, but I'd say unless your computer fans are really kicking out some insane CFM, I'd concentrate on using the factory blower.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:15 PM

Didn't an older model of Mazda 626 (or maybe it was the 929) have omething like this.. I'll see if I can look it up somehow
Old 07-01-2003, 12:22 PM

"The optional sunroof includes the most blatantly trick piece of gadgetry: a solar panel which can either run vent fans when the car is parked, to keep the interior cool, or recharge the battery. It's one of those obvious ideas which seems cute and exotic just because nobody ever thought of it."

Paragraph taken from:
http://www.hardrive.com/reviews/mazda929.htm
Old 07-01-2003, 12:59 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Solar car ventilator

Right side of the page, $39.95 each
Old 07-01-2003, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like an interesting project, but your real problem is going to be finding suitable places to mount the fans.

The intake could be put under the rear seat, but you'll have to look for places to drill. It would probably work on some of the metal that lies vertical, but you'll have to watch out for the exhaust, wiring, fuel pump/tank, etc. That's the only place that I can think of that's low and will bring in "cool" air (at least your car's shade will help cool the air).
The exhaust should really be on the roof of the car, but that brings in the water problem. I can't think of any other suitable location for exhaust, because they will all be very low in the car or in the trunk. As far as I'm concerned you should stay out of the trunk because the air will never make it to the passenger compartment, and your goal isn't to cool the trunk.

If you're looking at fans I would go with Deltas for both quality and CFM. Deltas are the defacto standard for PC fans, and they flow a lot of CFM even at 12V.
http://www.delta.com.tw/products/dcfans/generic_f.htm
92mm flows 68CFM at 12v
120mm flows 113CFM at 12v
172mm flows 218CFM at 12v (but it's over your 15W limit)
-hype
Old 07-01-2003, 01:06 PM

This has been done.

Check this
http://www.angelfire.com/mac/british...itisheco2.html

I remember it was like $30 in US but I don't know how well it worked.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:14 PM

I got an idea for you. How about installing a remote car starter.

SUMMER:
Leave the AC on before turning off the car. When you remote start your car from far away it will start the AC with it and cool the car down before you get in.

WINTER:
Leave the heater on before turning off the car so that when you remote start your car up it can heat up the car before u get into it.

If you wanna make it really cool. Connect the remote starter with a temprature sensor you can set to a specific temprate to turn on and off the car depending on the temprature.

If you really want to pursue this idea of yours. Look into the vents that are placed around the rear speakers which let air in/out from the trunk to the passanger compartment. You can possibly install some cooling device in your trunk like a AC cooling system for a computer to blow cold air through these vents into the passanger compartment. This can be powered by a solar panel if you like placed on the top part of your manual sliding board thingie that covers the sun roof.

Good luck man! post some pics if you do it!