4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question for suspension gurus.. rough ride + clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 04:55 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Question for suspension gurus.. rough ride + clunking noise

My car does not absorb bumps and poor road conditions well AT ALL. Ride is quite bad and sitting inside the car I get thrown around with every bump that my dad's 98 would take very smoothly.. I figured my struts are bad, but they are not bouncy, my car feels rather stiff and it doesn't bounce back much on the corner test..

Going over very small imperfections in the road, even with 1 wheel.. I can hear and 'feel' a slight dull clunking noise coming from the front..

My suspension is stock with over 130k miles on it.

now I am about to install H&Rs and AGXs but I would really like to make sure I have it all narrowed down and replace the neccessary parts while I'm in there.

thanks
Old 07-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Replace the strut bearings, spring isolation sleeves, and most likely the upper rubber rings that the springs sit in. You might want to replace the paper thin strut mount gaskets (they sit between the car and the metal strut mount) with some homemade ones as well. Get some gasket material at the parts store and use the old ones as a template.

Torque everything to spec, get it aligned and you should have a whole new car (so to speak). Good luck.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:43 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by sbslacker
Replace the strut bearings, spring isolation sleeves, and most likely the upper rubber rings that the springs sit in. You might want to replace the paper thin strut mount gaskets (they sit between the car and the metal strut mount) with some homemade ones as well. Get some gasket material at the parts store and use the old ones as a template.

Torque everything to spec, get it aligned and you should have a whole new car (so to speak). Good luck.
thanks,
I know all about the replacement parts supposedly needed However, I'm curious on whether the symptoms I am experiencing now are related to any of the parts i am supposed to replace..

perhaps there is something else to check?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:56 PM

back from 2003. instead of starting new thread did a little search and came up with this......

recently i too started to notice a hard ride on stock SE suspension, stock wheels, and new Toyo Proxies 4 tires. since the car is not bouncing, i figure it's not the struts, right? what should i replace? and how much will it cost?

i also might wanna change all the bushings in front?

links would be nice, since i have NO idea about suspension parts exept for struts and springs

BTW. i have 98k on my '98 maxima
Old 12-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by NYCe MaXiMa
I am about to install H&Rs and AGXs
If you think things are rough with your worn out stock suspension, your choise of spring and strut are not going to make things any better.

Lower progressive sport spring + Very Firm AGX = Firm hard ride.

Fun to drive around in, handles great but the ride isn't what one might call smooth.

I wouldn't go with AGX's if you want some ride quality on a lower, sport setup.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
If you think things are rough with your worn out stock suspension, your choise of spring and strut are not going to make things any better.

Lower progressive sport spring + Very Firm AGX = Firm hard ride.

Fun to drive around in, handles great but the ride isn't what one might call smooth.

I wouldn't go with AGX's if you want some ride quality on a lower, sport setup.

this thread and that post is from 2003
Old 12-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Kolyan
this thread and that post is from 2003
Didn't even see that. ME-->
Old 12-29-2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kolyan
back from 2003. instead of starting new thread did a little search and came up with this......

recently i too started to notice a hard ride on stock SE suspension, stock wheels, and new Toyo Proxies 4 tires. since the car is not bouncing, i figure it's not the struts, right? what should i replace? and how much will it cost?

i also might wanna change all the bushings in front?

links would be nice, since i have NO idea about suspension parts exept for struts and springs

BTW. i have 98k on my '98 maxima

but this is what i posted today. basically i think my suspension got harder and i am wondering what needs to be replaced without having to do an alighment all over since i've done it less then a month ago. maybe bump stops or something?