4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I may soon be a 4th genner, need advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 09:23 PM
davis449

I know in the 3rd gen forum that Jeff92SE is pretty much the authority on 3rd gens and I was wondering who is the so-called 4th gen genius in here. I need advice, my 3rd gen needs $4,000 worth of body work on it, the car has served me well and I do not want to give it up, but my dad makes the decision tomorrow. I had this issue a couple months back but nothing came about. During that search for a possible new car I considered something other than a Maxima, but then I came to my senses and realized that a Maxima fits my needs and wants best out of all the cars in my price range. So if anyone could offer any advice on which year of 4th gen I should look for, non biased advice only please cause I know many of you are probably loyal to your year of car, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-01-2001, 09:43 PM

so you want a 4th gen.?

well...instead of putting the pros..ill put the cons..

rattles..here and there..no biggie..you can stop'em if you can find where they coming from..

paint..nissan paint isnt the best..chips kinda easy..ur paint wont just fall off..but dings are a biatch..

ummm..what else?..thats all i can think of..not bad huh?..maybe someone will add more..

maxima 95 gxe auto
120,000 and going..
btw..you can get a 95 for 9ks...

Old 02-01-2001, 09:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by davis449
I know in the 3rd gen forum that Jeff92SE is pretty much the authority on 3rd gens and I was wondering who is the so-called 4th gen genius in here. I need advice, my 3rd gen needs $4,000 worth of body work on it, the car has served me well and I do not want to give it up, but my dad makes the decision tomorrow. I had this issue a couple months back but nothing came about. During that search for a possible new car I considered something other than a Maxima, but then I came to my senses and realized that a Maxima fits my needs and wants best out of all the cars in my price range. So if anyone could offer any advice on which year of 4th gen I should look for, non biased advice only please cause I know many of you are probably loyal to your year of car, I would greatly appreciate it.
The 4th gen Yoda is Daniel B. Martin.
Old 02-01-2001, 09:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

Hey buss95max.......why was your maxima cool....but not cool now? Daniel B. Martin is the Guru for mechanical needs.....heez the man....and well.......other than that I do nt know who the main dude or woman is here......
Old 02-01-2001, 09:58 PM

nmexmax.........

used to be cool..cuz some lady with no insurance or license hit me(right front fender). and its been almost 4 months..waiting..for it to get fixed..she blew out my strut too..and my other struts went out a month later..so basiclly..my car looks ugly, bouncy, and my passenger door doesnt open.....

and yeah daniel B martin is the 4th gen. maxima yoda..i think jambo should change his forum title to that...
Old 02-01-2001, 10:04 PM

theres more con then paint and rattles(suprise I don't have any)
con.
1. too small cup holders (and only 2)
2. not much storage area
3. climate control is totally weak A/C or heat they're very sloow
4. Manual trunk-lid hinges
5. slow wiper blades
6. slow defogger
7. no rear air vents
8. if automatic no shifting indicator on dashboard
9. crap stock tires
10. recommends 91 octane+
11. not much headroom with sunroof
12. rough abs
13. lots of wind noise
14. no indash cd changer
15. if automatic if you brake from 50 to 10mph it will not downshift to one it should downshift eariler

Pro:
theres like 100 pros too many to list

I hope this won't stop you from buying a maxima
since theres so many pros
Old 02-01-2001, 10:20 PM

1. too small cup holders
>>yea they suck
2. not much storage area
>> hell yeah there is... more than enuff
>>dont know i got a GXE..
>>what you mean?
5. slow wiper blades
>> mine are faster than the speed of light..comfort and conv. package..
6. slow defogger
>>only when the car is cold
7. no rear air vents
>> didnt even notice...
>>ur lazy!!..just look down..at the shifter..
9. crap stock tires
>>discount tire center...
>>whats wrong with that?..
>>i got a GXE..
12. rough abs
>> 2 poor for that option
13. lots of wind noise
>>roll those windows up, throw on a cd..
14. no indash cd changer
>> aftermarket..
15. if automatic if you brake from 50 to 10mph it will not downshift to one it should downshift eariler
>>oh yeah this blows...
Old 02-01-2001, 10:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

Yeah........I h8 it when you slow down then try 2 acceler8 and the tranny stayz in a high a** gear so u have to STOMP om it for it 2 downshift......that's is my only complaint.......I like my Max!!!!
Old 02-01-2001, 10:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

Oh yeah.........sorry bout ur car buss95max........that totally sux!
Old 02-01-2001, 10:52 PM

2.hey you should see how much storage space pontiac sunfire gets
4. they eat into trunk space if you put something under those hinges you'll crush them
5 and 6 compare to other cars they're both slow
7. thats kinda a big problem in summer with hot a@@ leather seat rear ppl complain so much
10. nothing is wrong with giving the max 91 octane but some people have a BIG PROBLEM WITH IT complaining abt $3 more a fill up (not me I don't care )
13. I'm talking about windows up take a ride in those minivans some (most) are quietier

Originally posted by buss95max
1. too small cup holders
>>yea they suck
2. not much storage area
>> hell yeah there is... more than enuff
>>dont know i got a GXE..
>>what you mean?
5. slow wiper blades
>> mine are faster than the speed of light..comfort and conv. package..
6. slow defogger
>>only when the car is cold
7. no rear air vents
>> didnt even notice...
>>ur lazy!!..just look down..at the shifter..
9. crap stock tires
>>discount tire center...
>>whats wrong with that?..
>>i got a GXE..
12. rough abs
>> 2 poor for that option
13. lots of wind noise
>>roll those windows up, throw on a cd..
14. no indash cd changer
>> aftermarket..
>>oh yeah this blows...
Old 02-01-2001, 11:46 PM

costco....

you're right....
hot leather= ouch
trunk hinges = oh yeah thats why i couldnt fit all four my rims in the trunk..
wipers= if you got leather..then im pretty sure you got that **** that adjustes the speed on the wipers. ive driven many cars, and im positive the wipers on the max are fast.
btw..3 bucks a gallon??..DAYUM!!!..it cost on average 1.65 for 92 octane in los angeles...
Old 02-02-2001, 08:30 AM

no I mean something like $3 more for one fillup
wipers: go on one of those hondas turn them on max speed they're faster then maxima's

you probably don't get much rain or snow there so the wiper thing doesn't bug you but in areas that always rain heavily its a problem

Old 02-02-2001, 08:51 AM
MAXDriver

4th generation comes with multi-link beam for rear suspension. Now, I haven't had my chance to compare 4th generation to the 3rd generation but it doesn't measure up to other 4 wheel independent suspension cars I have had.

Gurus in 4th gen. are: Daniel B. Martin, Shingles, JJW just to name a few. There are many others, stick around and you'll find out.

Old 02-02-2001, 10:03 AM

1. too small cup holders
>>true that
2. not much storage area
>> I've got a big *** box in my trunk and there is more than enough room left
>>My climate control is the Sh*t, cold very cold, and hotter than hell.
>>so
5. slow wiper blades
>> mine are fast enough..
6. slow defogger
>>mines fine
7. no rear air vents
>> who cares
>>wouldn't know have a 5-speed
9. crap stock tires
>>bought some good ones
>>I don't care about that makes it run better
>>I got plenty
12. rough abs
>> love my ABS saved my *** a couple of times
13. lots of wind noise
>>not me
14. no indash cd changer
>> aftermarket..
>>wouldn't know have a 5-speed

In regards to the 3rd to 4th switch I just made that one and I could not be happier, more room hell of a lot more speed and comfort is unbeilivable, I had a 92 GXE and it was fully loaded I can't say I didn't love it but I love my 1997. Year models though I had a 96 before my 92 and the only complaint I have about the 96 is that when my clutch went out the gearbox went as well it was a recall so I got it fixed for free.

Old 02-02-2001, 11:14 AM
davis449

Well I will give you guys some of my input on the cons y'all have given me to think about. My third gen had the same trunk hinges, and it doesn't bother me a bit. Slow defrost is the same in the third gen unlewss the car is warm. No rear A/C vents doesn't matter **** to me cause I DON'T ride in the back of my own car! No in-dash Cd changer matters nothing to me, in my personaly opinion single disc is best and afer market systems cost too much. Wind noise is an issue in 3rd gens, believe me. Automatic transmission issues will be no problem, I WILL have a 5spd. Head room doesn't matter either, I'm 5'5". Crap stock tires wioll be solved probably before I get the car because most likely I will buy used Nissan Certified so the tires will probably have been changed before I get it and if not: Discount Tire Co. The climate control issues bother me a little cause sucky heating and A/C are NOT good, my 3rd gen's works beautifully. The Independant suspension also bothers me cause I like mine. ABS bothers me too, but then again, mine's kinda rough too I can learn to deal with that. I will have security and convenience package on mine so screw the slow wiper blades. I also have NO problem WHATSOEVER with putting premium gas in my car, I would do it anyway and I currently run premium in my 3rd gen. Small cup holders bothers me too, but after owning a 3rd gen with the multimedia Bose system in it, I could learn to enjoy cup holders even if they're tiny (hint: I have none). If I needed storage area I would buy an SUV. In short let me paint you a picture of the 4th gen I would buy: A Nissan Certified Super Black or Pearl White 97-99 SE or SE-L with a 5spd, Bose, Security and Convenience package, leather seats, sunroof, the whole 9 yards. All in all I would say you guys did a good job of convincing me. But I still, as of yet, have not found out whether my dream will become a reality.

Old 02-02-2001, 11:20 AM

3rd to 4th Gen Comparison

Let me add my 2 cents to this list . . . .

1. too small cup holders (and only 2)
>> Yeah, apparently Nissan hasn't heard of 7-11
Also, keep in mind that only the 97-99 Gen 4s HAVE cup holders at all.

2. not much storage area.
>> True, but something tells me there won't be much of a change going from 3rd to 4th Gen.

3. climate control is totally weak A/C or heat they're very sloow.
>> I find my climate control OK, heat or A/C

>> Yeah, but hey, that is one big assed TRUNK! That baby's swallowed many a load not thought possible by many. You wanna see a small trunk?? Look at the J-30

5. slow wiper blades
>> Not really for me.

6. slow defogger.
>> Not really for me.

7. no rear air vents.
>> Shouldn't this be the type of feature you would expect in an Infiniti??

>> I drive a 5 speed, so non issue here. Since Davis449's already got a 5 speed, maybe he's staying the manual route.
Be sure you do, so you can feel all that the mighty VQ has to offer!!

9. crap stock tires
>> Yeah, but since he's buying used, that is not so much an issue.

>> True, but can run on lower if you need to. My mother borrowed my car once and filled it with 87. I was like "no."
The car was alright. I drove it awhile just to get that stuff outta there!!

11. not much headroom with sunroof.
>> I'm 6 foot 210 lbs and I find all the room plenty, even with the sunroof.

12. rough abs.
>> True, but at least it's abs. Also, it may be because the Max is so light.

13. lots of wind noise.
>> Above like 90 MPH, yes.

14. no indash cd changer
>> With room enough for a double FDIN unit, you can add your own aftermakret.

15. if automatic if you brake from 50 to 10mph it will not downshift to one it should downshift eariler.
>> Stay with the 5 speed!!

Pro:
theres like 100 pros too many to list.

Here's a few. Comparing a 93 SE to the Gen 4, since you have the best of the 3rd gen, coming to a gen 4 you will get;

1. More power, the VQ seems to have a fatter torque curve than the 190 HP 3rd Gen.

2. More power 2. You get the same 190 HP, but a body that weighs less than the 3rd gen.

3. Roomier. The whole cabin is bigger.

Hope this helps!

DW

I hope this won't stop you from buying a maxima
since theres so many pros [/I][/QUOTE]
Old 02-02-2001, 11:36 AM

All 4th gen's 95-99 have cup holders dude,

just that the 95-96 ones are square but allways worked fine for me as long as I did not go Super sized at BK haha.
Old 02-02-2001, 01:11 PM

hell nah emax..

you gotta supersize..
and plus i had average sized drinks that tip over when im driving..that sucks..
Old 02-02-2001, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by davis449
Well I will give you guys some of my input on the cons y'all have given me to think about. My third gen had the same trunk hinges, and it doesn't bother me a bit. Slow defrost is the same in the third gen unlewss the car is warm. No rear A/C vents doesn't matter **** to me cause I DON'T ride in the back of my own car! No in-dash Cd changer matters nothing to me, in my personaly opinion single disc is best and afer market systems cost too much. Wind noise is an issue in 3rd gens, believe me. Automatic transmission issues will be no problem, I WILL have a 5spd. Head room doesn't matter either, I'm 5'5". Crap stock tires wioll be solved probably before I get the car because most likely I will buy used Nissan Certified so the tires will probably have been changed before I get it and if not: Discount Tire Co. The climate control issues bother me a little cause sucky heating and A/C are NOT good, my 3rd gen's works beautifully. The Independant suspension also bothers me cause I like mine. ABS bothers me too, but then again, mine's kinda rough too I can learn to deal with that. I will have security and convenience package on mine so screw the slow wiper blades. I also have NO problem WHATSOEVER with putting premium gas in my car, I would do it anyway and I currently run premium in my 3rd gen. Small cup holders bothers me too, but after owning a 3rd gen with the multimedia Bose system in it, I could learn to enjoy cup holders even if they're tiny (hint: I have none). If I needed storage area I would buy an SUV. In short let me paint you a picture of the 4th gen I would buy: A Nissan Certified Super Black or Pearl White 97-99 SE or SE-L with a 5spd, Bose, Security and Convenience package, leather seats, sunroof, the whole 9 yards. All in all I would say you guys did a good job of convincing me. But I still, as of yet, have not found out whether my dream will become a reality.
sounds like you're sold go buy the maxima now you'll have fun with it

btw you will still have slow wiper blades talking about top speed here push the stick down 3 times thats the fastest and its not that fast