4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Clutch = Ahhhhhhhh

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 08:34 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally Posted by pjalst
I think you're on the right track with the letter and all, but I disagree with one thing you did. I disagree with the threat that you will contact the news and the other Org's if they don't comply. This threat kind of makes it sound like you're trying to coerse(sp) them into giving you what you want. I think you should of just wrote the letter and ended it by simply saying, "if they don't compy, you will be forced to take further legal actions". It's like playing poker, never reveal your hand until you have to.
Huh? Of course I'm trying to coerce them.

Coerce: To force to act or think in a certain way by use of pressure, threats, or intimidation; compel.

I'd say that saying you were going to "take further legal action" speaks just as much to coercing as does showing them the letter I will send.

I have nothing to worry about as all the letters I have sent are all 100% accurate and even if they refute them they'll be defeated. I appreciate your concern, but I think a lawyer (my father) knows how to write a compelling letter.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow, I've never been so into a thread. I held on to every relevant post in this thread, and the anticipation is killing me. I can't believe the kind of crap they are putting you through. The dealership here in my town doesn't seem anything like the one you are dealing with. They are nice guys who help me solve problems, no charge with my car. I wish you had a respectible dealership to deal with.

On a side note, I'm not sure if you are feeling up to it, but I think we should petition Nissan, about the sale of this clutch 'kit' to maxima owners at least, if not wholly, so that this does not happen to anyone else.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:59 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally Posted by kenji
Wow, I've never been so into a thread. I held on to every relevant post in this thread, and the anticipation is killing me. I can't believe the kind of crap they are putting you through. The dealership here in my town doesn't seem anything like the one you are dealing with. They are nice guys who help me solve problems, no charge with my car. I wish you had a respectible dealership to deal with.

On a side note, I'm not sure if you are feeling up to it, but I think we should petition Nissan, about the sale of this clutch 'kit' to maxima owners at least, if not wholly, so that this does not happen to anyone else.
You know, I was always very happy with my former service manager, Craig. He was awesome. Always helped me out, never a problem. Then I get with this new guy and everything goes to hell. I can't say I understand it, but there are at least 4 Nissan dealers in the area. I may have to drive a little further to get to them, but I would rather travel further and avoid that dealership all together.

On the other hand, Nissan service is notorious for sucking so maybe I was just getting lucky. All I know is that my nest car will be an Infiniti.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:15 PM
pjalst

Originally Posted by Big_Ham
Huh? Of course I'm trying to coerce them.

Coerce: To force to act or think in a certain way by use of pressure, threats, or intimidation; compel.

I'd say that saying you were going to "take further legal action" speaks just as much to coercing as does showing them the letter I will send.

I have nothing to worry about as all the letters I have sent are all 100% accurate and even if they refute them they'll be defeated. I appreciate your concern, but I think a lawyer (my father) knows how to write a compelling letter.

I meant to say Extort and not coersce. Don't get me wrong , I agree with most of what you're doing.

Old 10-10-2003, 06:15 PM

I'd never pay a dealer to do a clutch installation, they charge you an arm and a leg. I wanted a new clutch for my I30, dealer said it would be $970 out the door. Got my ACT for $320, paid the mechanic (guy who does all the work for Cattman), $300 for the installation, driven about 9k miles and no problems. This new clutch is def. one of the best upgrades I've ever bought for the car. In your situation big ham, I really hope you get these *******s to pay up, nothing I hate more than dealerships trying to take advantage of people.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:20 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally Posted by A-Ron Max
I'd never pay a dealer to do a clutch installation, they charge you an arm and a leg. I wanted a new clutch for my I30, dealer said it would be $970 out the door. Got my ACT for $320, paid the mechanic (guy who does all the work for Cattman), $300 for the installation, driven about 9k miles and no problems. This new clutch is def. one of the best upgrades I've ever bought for the car. In your situation big ham, I really hope you get these *******s to pay up, nothing I hate more than dealerships trying to take advantage of people.
Would you believe that the dealer had the cheapest labor charge in town (as far as a real mechanic goes and not a friend or anything) at $409? Everyone else was well into the $400's and some were as high as $500. In any event, I now see what you are saying about dealers ... believe me. What I should have done is about another 2-3 hours of research on OEM clutches (like the research I did on ACT before deciding not to go with them) and bought my own parts for the dealer to install.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I hope you're right. I'm very anxious to see what the final say will be and see if I need to go to small claims court or not. I'd rather not, but I'm definitely willing to if I have to. I hate car dealers ... on more than one level now too ...
Old 10-23-2003, 03:06 PM
MaximaFreak

The level of response on my last and final letter to the dealer on a scale of 1-10.

The dealer didn't write, call, email, anything. Today was D-day before I sent a letter out to MANY different places including the BBB etc. I'm going to post all the letters here in the order in which they were sent for you guys to alter and use or just for your edification. Expect to see updates here from me as I receive letters back from various places and/or set a court date. I will continually update this thread so that people can see the final outcome.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:11 PM
MaximaFreak

Original Letter sent to Courtesy Nissan, Tampa.

July 18, 2003
TO:
Peter Hawley, General Manager
3800 W. Hillsborough Ave.
Tampa, FL 33614
RE: A SERVICE VISIT TO YOUR DEALERSHIP.
Dear Mr. Hawley:

I would like to bring to your attention a problem I encountered with your dealer's service department.

I frequent your dealership to service my 1998 Nissan Maxima SE. I love my Maxima and try my best to take the best care of it. I am actually the proud owner of 2 Maximas as my wife has one as well, and I own and operate www.maximafreak.com as a hobby. I truly enjoy Nissan products, but I must admit that recently the service offered by your dealership has been less than appealing. It's a lengthy story, but it's necessary to tell the entirety of the story as there is much that is pertinent.

The story starts on a visit to your dealership at its old location (a month or two ago). I came in expecting to speak with my former Asst. Sales Manager, Craig, but he was not there anymore. Alas Chuck was there to help me. At that time I spoke with Chuck, and told him I would like to bring my car in to have the clutch done. We then had a conversation wherein I told him I was thinking of going with an aftermarket clutch (ACT, Vitek, etc), but had decided that my OEM clutch lasted me 70000+ miles and did me good while others were having problems with various types of aftermarket clutches. At the time he just agreed and told me how much the clutch would be and we also had a short conversation about labor cost wherein we decided on a $409 total labor charge.

I called your dealership on or about the Monday that passed (July 14) to schedule a time to bring my car in for a clutch replacement. I called Chuck directly and dealt only with him. I told him I would like to have my clutch replaced with an OEM clutch. I use the term OEM often because I am involved in modifying cars and OEM is an important term that clearly distinguishes the part as Original Equipment of the Manufacturer and in no way to be confused with any aftermarket part.

I scheduled the replacement for Wednesday, July 15. I get there at approximately 8:45am. When I first saw Chuck and told him who I was and that I had an appointment I had to remind him I was in for a clutch replacement as I said on the phone but a day prior, after a minute or so he seemed to remember. Chuck asked me the standard questions like what my symptoms were and then I told him how I would like him to also rebalance and rotate my tires. He wrote this up, I left my keys with him and I was on my way.

It was after work, approximately 5:45pm on the same day. I come to get my car. I pay, get the keys and drive off. Clutch is abnormally soft, but I thought I remembered reading that the clutch will stiffen up over time and I don't take much note of it. Drove home the whole way under 3k RPM's shifting lightly and accurately so as to properly break the clutch in. I am not experiencing with the new clutch any of the same symptoms I was experiencing with the old clutch because I am not pushing it in any capacity that would stress it to aggravation. I was happy to be free of the pressure of knowing it could go out any second. This was definitely a relief for someone who cannot just drop $600 for a new clutch easily.

Later, I post on a forum at www.maxima.org about my experience and how nice it is to have a new clutch. Banter is written back and forth and then someone notices how cheap my parts cost was considering I got an OEM clutch. They remarked how under $200 for an OEM clutch was a good price and how there is an inferior "key value" clutch also sold through dealers, although not of the OEM clutch's exact construction. Upon reading this, I picked up the phone and called your parts department. First off, they gave me a price that was $10 cheaper than the price Chuck gave me, this is not a primary complaint, but this is just as unacceptable. They then proceed to confess that this $180 clutch is the "Key Value" clutch. It was later verified by TJ that it was the Key Value clutch that was installed in my car.

Key Value, while sold through Nissan dealerships, is not OEM. It has obviously been approved by Nissan Motor Company to be sold through their dealerships. However, OEM would be what came with my car: the Original Equipment of the Manufacturer. By definition, the clutch put in my car is certainly not OEM because it is even visibly different in construction, never mind the difference in real-world operation.

So, when confronted on Wednesday evening, TJ (your Service Manager) was very nonchalant, thinking there was not even really an issue. Then, after some back and forth conversation, TJ remarked that Key Value was different than OEM and are a little "thinner" than OEM and are made for those who prefer to save a few dollars. He also said this about the Key Value brake pads and how they will be a “little noisier”, but that customers would rather save the money. TJ seems to have amnesia when it comes to his use of the term "thinner" I'll have you know, but may lightning strike me if that's not what he said. TJ then continued to listen to but not "hear" any of my concerns and merely presented a smug attitude and a pessimistic outlook for my situation. He merely said he would have to contact the DSM and he would get back to me tomorrow (July 18). Now, having worked in customer service for PricewaterhouseCoopers for years, it was certainly not what I would call "Customer Service."

I provided TJ with a receipt for him to photocopy for the purpose of extracting the part number and a copy of the online thread I referred to earlier for his perusal. You'll be interested to know that TJ now uses this information to incriminate me by telling of how I wrote I wanted to be able to take my car to the track for the first time to see what kind of 1/4 mile time I can achieve. I just see this as bending it and twisting it to squash this problem where it is now - before it gets escalated. I did not care for nor appreciate these attempts as there was nothing said in that forum thread that changes the following facts:

I asked for: OEM Clutch.
I received: Key Value Clutch.
Assistant Service Manager: Did not Inform customer (me) of different options/parts available that can, and obviously do, get confused for each other.
Service Manager: was rude, unsympathetic, pessimistic when presented with my issue.

Key Value Clutches are:

OEM Clutches are:

Here's what I would like to see happen: I want the current clutch in my car taken out by Courtesy Nissan and replaced with the aforementioned "OEM Clutch" at no further parts or labor charge to me. What has happened here has been appalling to say the least. This is certainly a new problem for me at your dealership. I have 2 Nissan Maximas that I bring in for service and never had any problems in the past when Craig was my Service Manager. Not sure what brought on this problem, but I think it should be looked into. I can certainly believe you or anyone who tells me that this is a one-time incident that won't happen again if - and only if - it is properly remedied.

I hope you are able to address my concerns. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Joel Bigham
              Old 10-23-2003, 03:13 PM
              MaximaFreak

Most recent letter sent.
              October 8, 2003
              Peter Hawley, General Manager
              c/o Courtesy Nissan
              3800 W. Hillsborough Avenue
              Tampa, FL 33614

Re: Joel Bigham / Maxima Clutch

Dear Mr. Hawley:

Over two (2) months have passed since I began my attempts to remedy the problem with the clutch replacement performed by your dealership. My frustration is exceeded only by my amazement that you fail to do the right thing in a case as clear as this.

You probably realize from your dealings with me that this is a VERY important issue to me. I am not going to go away. As my financial resources cannot match those of your dealership, your approach to this problem – downplaying the seriousness of this issue – leaves me with few options.

Attached to this letter is a letter I intend to send to the many addressees set forth therein unless you address my problem fairly in one of the following two manners:
              I want Courtesy Nissan to do a full clutch replacement with the following OEM parts: 30100-40U14 (Clutch Disc), 30210-40U06 (Pressure Plate), and 30502-41U20 (Clutch Release or “Throw Out” Bearing); or
              I want a full refund of the cost of the Key Value Clutch (~$190) and all labor ($409) put on my American Express card so that I can get this work done elsewhere. (see attached receipt for actual transaction amount).

If Courtesy Nissan does not comply within fifteen (15) days of the receipt of this letter, I will send the enclosed letter to the addressees identified on the letter. Additionally, be assured I am fully prepared to take Courtesy Nissan to small claims court to recover my costs if either of the above two resolutions are not met. I will take all actions necessary to get an OEM clutch put in my car.

I look forward to your response to this letter in writing no later than fifteen (15) days from the postmark on this letter. If I do not receive such a response I will forward the enclosed letter.

Very truly yours,

Joel M. Bigham
              Old 10-23-2003, 03:19 PM
              MaximaFreak

Letter for BBB and others. Note the list of cc's. I have a few more that are not on here, but you get the point.

October 23, 2003

Tampa Tribune
              Publisher and President, Gil Thelen
              PO Box 191
              Tampa, FL 33601

St. Petersburg Times
              Attn: Consumer Affairs
              1000 N Ashley Dr, Ste 104
              Tampa, FL 33602

93.3 WFLZ - Marketing Dept.
              4002 Gandy Blvd.
              Tampa, FL 33611

98.7 WLLD - Marketing Dept.
              9721 Executive Center Drive N** Suite 200
              St. Petersburg, FL** 33702

97.9 - 98 ROCK - WXTB
              4002 Gandy Blvd.
              Tampa, FL 33611

WTOG-TV UPN44
              Mike Conway
              Executive Vice-President/General Manager
              365 - 105th Terrace N.E.
              St. Petersburg, FL 33716

webmaster@maxima.org

webmaster@tamparacing.com

WFTS ABC Action News
              4045 N. Himes Ave.
              Tampa, FL 33607

WFLA - TV NBC
              ATTN: 8 on your side
              PO Box 1410
              Tampa, FL 33601

CBS - 10 NEWS
              11450 Gandy Blvd
              St. Petersburg, FL 33702

FOX 13 WTVT-TV - NEWS Dept.
              3213 W. Kennedy Blvd.
              Tampa, FL 33609

WTTA - WB 38 TV Tampa Bay News Dept
              7622 Bald Cypress Place
              Tampa, FL 33614

Clearwater BBB
              PO Box 7950
              Clearwater, FL 33758-7950

BN9
              440 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
              Tampa, FL 33614

Nissan of North America - Consumer Affairs
              18501 S. Figueroa St.
              P.O. Box 191
              Gardena, CA 90248-0191

Z Club of Florida
              13910 Village Terrace Drive
              Tampa, FL 33624

Mesdames and Gentlemen:

I am having a problem with Courtesy Nissan and I hope you can help. The history of the matter is set forth in the enclosed letter dated July 18, 2003.

It is now over two (2) months since my efforts to resolve this with Courtesy Nissan and they have failed to do the right thing. Exchanges were made between Pete Hawley and myself, and also with his Customer Service manager. Neither of them would concede to replace the clutch with what I originally said I wanted. I have been calm and fair and have tried all direct avenues possible. However, as my financial resources cannot match those of the dealership I am turning to you for help.

I must say after 2 months of use, this clutch is the worst I have ever had. The feel is soft and vague. The catch is never consistent making for a bucking ride more often than not. The torque transfer when moving through gears at moderate speeds is poor at best – certainly not suitable for a car with ~190HP and ~190 ft.lb. torque. In the past, I have had a ’90 Honda Accord 5MT (replaced the clutch once), ’90 Ford Taurus SHO 5MT, ’98 Volvo S70 T5 5MT as well as currently owning a 2001 Nissan Maxima 5MT and the “Key Value” clutch is the worst of them all. My 2001 Maxima has a solid clutch feel to it, with a short, firm engagement with a predictable catch point and a consistent, aggressive torque transfer. My wife, whom I would not dub a driving enthusiast, even comments about the abhorrent clutch in my 1998 Maxima vs. the 2001.

Pete’s Customer Service Manager, whose name I am forgetting, openly admitted having a meeting called with all involved parties and put the two pressure plates side by side and admitted a difference in the two (previously, Courtesy Nissan was denying difference in the parts). As far as customer service went, this has been anything but. First and foremost, I specifically requested an OEM clutch, which I did not get. That should be the beginning and the end of the issue (I cannot understand why there is any disagreement about that). In addition, it would seem clear that I have a right to be informed of buying options and I was never informed of two different clutch options – and I was not. I have given this clutch the benefit of the doubt after being told it would not be replaced voluntarily. I was hoping the clutch feel would change and this clutch would be acceptable so as to avoid any further time spent on the subject by either Courtesy, or myself, but it is just not right – or even close. I have had my car for the entire 80,000 miles that it has on it and I have never disliked driving it, until now.

I have asked Courtesy for one of two things:

Courtesy has refused to do either, without any justification. They have made a mistake and refuse to remedy it. It is just wrong. I hope you can help.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Joel M. Bigham
                  Old 10-23-2003, 03:29 PM
                  I'm needing a caw

I hope you get your clutch stuff solved. This has been going on for WAY too long. If they want to ingore you fine, bring them to small claims and tear them a new one.
                  Old 10-23-2003, 04:00 PM
                  living out of a maxima...

that's a sad situation...
                  Old 10-23-2003, 09:19 PM
                  pjalst

Send a CC to Judge Judy, I would love to see her rip them a new one. If this case should go to court, make sure you have an expert like a mechanic that can testify to the inferiority of the product. Good luck. Keep us posted

Old 10-23-2003, 10:15 PM
                  brotherhood of tq

ham i feel really bad for you that this has been goin on for so long. Hopefully we could all learn never to place to much faith in those people wit whom we allow to install parts on our cars. They must think your stupid and plan to give up, but i hope u ride this out and maybe nissan could stop cutting corners when it comes to those of us who own some of their cars.
                  Old 10-23-2003, 11:13 PM
                  Donating Maxima.org Member

I just got my clutch replaced this week. Went to Clutch Doctor and paid $417 (of which $250 was labor)
                  That included an Exedy OE replacement clutch kit and flywheel resurfacing.
                  The Clutch doctor offers lifetime parts warranty.
                  Old 10-24-2003, 12:46 AM

I'm glad you have not gave up, do whatever it takes because clearly they are in the wrong. The org. is with you. Hope everything turns out for the best. Goodluck.
                  Old 10-24-2003, 03:00 AM

bump

I hope that almost every single one of the News/Radio Broadcasts that you CC'd features you as a story, and Courtesy of Tampa's business goes to sh*t. I had kind of forgotten about this issue in the past two weeks, although I'm sure you had still been losing sleep over it. As the day has come and past, my anticipation level in this issue has grown to it's highest point. Assuming the letters arive today, you should be hearing back from SOMEONE by today. Whenever you do, I will be hoping that it will be good news, and if even one radio broadcast, or one news broadcast airs even ONE SINGLE MINUTE of this issue, I think it will get enough people's attention to do some damage. Furthermore I will now and always forewarn any nissan owners that I know, not to buy a 'Key Value Clutch'

The best of luck in the following days, with much sympathy-
                  Kevin
                  Old 10-24-2003, 04:59 AM
                  pjalst

bump

I hope that almost every single one of the News/Radio Broadcasts that you CC'd features you as a story, and Courtesy of Tampa's business goes to sh*t. I had kind of forgotten about this issue in the past two weeks, although I'm sure you had still been losing sleep over it. As the day has come and past, my anticipation level in this issue has grown to it's highest point. Assuming the letters arive today, you should be hearing back from SOMEONE by today. Whenever you do, I will be hoping that it will be good news, and if even one radio broadcast, or one news broadcast airs even ONE SINGLE MINUTE of this issue, I think it will get enough people's attention to do some damage. Furthermore I will now and always forewarn any nissan owners that I know, not to buy a 'Key Value Clutch'

The best of luck in the following days, with much sympathy-
                  Kevin
                  It's sad to know that for every person that knows about this Key Value inferiority, there are thousands more that have no clue about it. I hope Ham's actions get the word out to Non-Org Member Maxima owners. Hitting Nissan in the pockets is the only thing they will fear.

Old 10-24-2003, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by pjalst
                  It's sad to know that for every person that knows about this Key Value inferiority, there are thousands more that have no clue about it. I hope Ham's actions get the word out to Non-Org Member Maxima owners. Hitting Nissan in the pockets is the only thing they will fear.
                  If Joel does end up having to take this to court, and he prevails just as he rightfully should, I'm wondering if there's any room for a nationwide class action lawsuit, or at least a key value recall.. after all I'm sure there's tons of people who goto nissan dealerships and specifically ask for an oem clutch, when they unknowingly receive the Krap Value bull.
                  Old 10-25-2003, 04:57 PM

bump

hey man did you make the news today? I hope that dealership burns
                  Old 10-27-2003, 03:25 PM

Bump, bump,

I am eagerly awaiting news of your ordeal. . . . .

Hope that these people start treating you like they should be

mike
                  Old 10-28-2003, 06:40 AM
                  An atavistic endeavor...

Yea I'm very curious as to the resolution of this as well. Thanks for researching the part numbers of the OEM stuff too...that will be helpful when I go to my dealer and say 'THESE part numbers are what I expect to see on the invoice".
                  Old 11-06-2003, 11:57 AM

bump anything new?
                  Old 11-06-2003, 12:46 PM
                  pjalst

bump anything new?

Yeah, this is like a soap opera that you can't get enough of.

Old 12-05-2003, 10:08 PM
                  pjalst

can we get an update?

Old 12-06-2003, 05:59 AM
                  Custom User Title

Anyone know where I could get a flywheel resurfaced? Also how hard is it to install your own clutch?
                  Old 12-06-2003, 10:03 AM
                  Sports Button FTW

Longer the break-in, the better. Most companies recommend 500 miles, but I'd go nice on it for 1000-1500 miles. You can still go WOT, you just can't slam the gears. Of course if this is the Key Value unit, it might slip even when going WOT.

Dave
                  thanks for that info man, i thought i had to drive like a p*ssy the entire time of breakin. just have to shift like a p*ssy
                  Old 12-06-2003, 12:14 PM
                  §è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by ImStockBaby
                  Anyone know where I could get a flywheel resurfaced? Also how hard is it to install your own clutch?

wouldnt recommend installing ur clutch urself. resurfacing ur flywheel requires dropping ur trans, and if ur going ot have someone do that, u might as well have them do ur clutch at hte same time. if u've never installed a clutch, as i dont htink u have otherwise u wouldnt be asking, i'd recommend a VERY good manual like chiltons or whatever everyone else uses, and a good friend or two of ur's that could help out, its not easy, and hopefully ur friends have experience with such work.
                  Old 12-07-2003, 04:38 AM
                  Donating Maxima.org Member

I am Daikin (O.E.M. to Nissan) Exedy dealer the Way you Can tell a O.E.M Clutch and Pressure Plate Is There are stampings on the parts They should Say Daikin (sometimes the grind off the Area Where Daikin name is Because they dont want you to know where they are buying them from) Act Buys the Daikin stock pressure plate and stock Disc to start with and the change the springs and disc lining . The Exedy Racing Clutches They make the pressure plate & Disc
                  just for Racing/HP Cars

http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/direct.html
                  Old 12-28-2003, 10:11 PM
                  pjalst

Any info on how the Key value clutch problem turned out?

Old 12-30-2003, 03:04 AM

Ham, my thoughts are with you. good luck.

A-Ron Max, can you give me the contact info of your mechanic? Thanx.

Happy New Years everybody
                  Jae
                  Old 12-30-2003, 06:14 AM

Can we say "Better Business Buereau". That to me is breech of contract and a verbal contract is just as binding as a written contract. Definatly give them some bad P.R. and keep us informed.
                  Old 12-30-2003, 07:50 AM

i bet you your 5-3 grinding was b/c of improperly adjusted pedal and you said you had a narrow pedal range. adjusting the pedal can make the clutch grab right at the floor, middle or at top. if it grabbed right at the floor, it would be harder to shift and easier to grind gears.