4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What springs should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 09:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What springs should I get?

I'm going with KYB AGX's all around, I live in Central NJ so potholes are somewhat of a problem I don't want it dropped crazy, but I don't want anymore than a 2 inch gap between the fender and wheel. I want the ride to be as stock as possible depending on how I setup up the struts. I mean I don't want a really stiff ride I don't want to feel every single bump on the road. A good friend of mine NYCEMAX just got AGX's, and H&R springs he said the ride is near stock, like you can't tell the difference, and it looks and handles a lot better. Should I go with Eibachs or H&R's, I mean I don't go out buying springs and struts everyday lol so I mean I want to get it done right the first time. Thanks!!!

Also should I get KYB Strut Boots/Mounts? And what about Sprint springs how much of a drop do they give. If I get HRS or Eibachs will my car look lower is an inch and a half enough of a drop for the Max. So much confusion .
Old 08-01-2003, 10:17 AM

Re: What springs should I get?

Originally posted by HarrisH
I'm going with KYB AGX's all around, I live in Central NJ so potholes are somewhat of a problem I don't want it dropped crazy, but I don't want anymore than a 2 inch gap between the fender and wheel. I want the ride to be as stock as possible depending on how I setup up the struts. I mean I don't want a really stiff ride I don't want to feel every single bump on the road. A good friend of mine NYCEMAX just got AGX's, and H&R springs he said the ride is near stock, like you can't tell the difference, and it looks and handles a lot better. Should I go with Eibachs or H&R's, I mean I don't go out buying springs and struts everyday lol so I mean I want to get it done right the first time. Thanks!!!

Also should I get KYB Strut Boots/Mounts? And what about Sprint springs how much of a drop do they give. If I get HRS or Eibachs will my car look lower is an inch and a half enough of a drop for the Max. So much confusion .
If you live in pothole-land and you don't like it rough in the behind, your only choice is H&R. Eibach and Sprint are both very stiff.

Get the strut boots. Motivational mounts help a lot too.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:25 AM

So I'm assuming HR is close to stock? With a nice drop?
Old 08-01-2003, 10:49 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: What springs should I get?

Originally posted by HarrisH
I live in Central NJ so potholes are somewhat of a problem I don't want it dropped crazy, but I don't want anymore than a 2 inch gap between the fender and wheel.
Definately H&R springs

I want the ride to be as stock as possible depending on how I setup up the struts. I mean I don't want a really stiff ride I don't want to feel every single bump on the road.
You don't want KYB's all around if you really want to maintain a nice smooth stock like ride. Use KYB's, either GR2 or AGX in the rear only and use the motivational mounts back there as well. Couple the front springs with Tokico Blues. You will never know your car was lowered by the way this setup rides. It's as smooth as glass. Ask around, there have been a few guys who have tossed the front AGX's out and replaced them with Tokico Blues, all of them, myself included are much happier with the ride. It makes a huge difference. Don't get me wrong, AGX's all around is a great setup for handling but the ride does suffer because the fronts seem to be too firm, even set on the softest setting. The Tokico Blues are a much softer strut and do quite well when coupled with H&R springs. Do not use the Tokico Blues in the rear, they are to weak and don't do a good job of controlling a lowered car.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:55 AM

Hey Tom btw I just called your shop asking for you and your advice :-D. I'm going to get it installed from your shop, I just have to figure out what I'm going to get. Ok so H&R's it is, I mean I was going to go with either HRs or Eibachs, but everyone is saying Eibachs are stiff, so HRs it is. Now I was originally set on KYB AGX's all around but I mean you do suspension stuff and I'm sure you know it like the back of your hand so I'll take your advice but just going to research it a bit more. Any other members here that have Tokico Blues up front, and KYB AGX on the rears? Thanks for your input, also why are the AGX's so much stiffer than the Tokico's just curious? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2003, 09:34 PM

Do the eibachs make the car look lower than the H&R's? I mean is the car noticebly lower with the eibach? I used to own a modded civic with eibach sportlines, so I would'nt mind the eibach's harsher ride.

thanks guys
Old 08-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you dont want to harsh of a ride but a more lowered look than H&Rs, you should look into B+G springs...

Eric
Old 08-01-2003, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by NISM0
Do the eibachs make the car look lower than the H&R's? I mean is the car noticebly lower with the eibach? I used to own a modded civic with eibach sportlines, so I would'nt mind the eibach's harsher ride.

thanks guys
Last tme I lined up with a guy with H&Rs, we had exactly the same drop.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:05 PM

i drove an H&R/GR2 setup last month and yesterday i drove an eibach/agx setup and the difference in ride quality was minimal.. i'd go eibachs just cause the drop is more even and looks better than the uneven H&R look. eibachs are not as stiff as people make them out to be.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:26 AM

Tokico up front , KYB AGX in rear

car rides great - enough said !!! KYB AGX - are great struts , but it takes a while to find right setting for H&R springs , plus low temperatures make them quite stiff(fronts) .

H&R are not uneven !!! proof here:http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=348507&page=6

car sits even with stereo in trunk.

my KYB AGX are still in the 4th Gen for sale forum and nobody wants them .....

Nick.