4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Running a little rich after Y-pipe install

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 03:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Running a little rich after Y-pipe install

My 99 SE-L is running a little rich after installation of a budget y-pipe. Rich enough that it set off the O2 sensor with 07-07,05-10 codes. I read that as sluggish response from an overly rich cat sensor. I put some Techron gas treatment and ran a half of tank thru the car at a good clip. No more CEL. I'm thinking of going to a Frankencar intake and wondering will that help with leaning out the mixture? I drive short trips and the car doesn't warm up fully sometimes.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I assume your Cali Spec????

How is that pipe on your car? Can you feel more pull? How much did the exhaust note change?
Old 08-05-2003, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I assume your Cali Spec????

How is that pipe on your car? Can you feel more pull? How much did the exhaust note change?
Car is Fed model. Exhaust pull is much deeper and the car pulls just fine especially in the 3 6k range. No problems there!!
Old 08-05-2003, 07:21 AM

Re: Running a little rich after Y-pipe install

Originally posted by PLUMMAXSE
My 99 SE-L is running a little rich after installation of a budget y-pipe. Rich enough that it set off the O2 sensor with 07-07,05-10 codes. I read that as sluggish response from an overly rich cat sensor. I put some Techron gas treatment and ran a half of tank thru the car at a good clip. No more CEL. I'm thinking of going to a Frankencar intake and wondering will that help with leaning out the mixture? I drive short trips and the car doesn't warm up fully sometimes.
A rich mixture can be caused by an exhaust leak near the O2 sensors (at the header/y-pipe joint). Air pulled in at the leak will register as a lean condition by the O2 sensors and the ecu will compensate by richening the afr. You might want to be sure that your y-pipe is good and tight against the header.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:21 AM

i also think you need to give the ecu time to adapt the change of having a ypipe on. im fed spec and have not gotten codes but just alot of fun and a great growl.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:25 PM

Re: Re: Running a little rich after Y-pipe install

Originally posted by Stephen Max

A rich mixture can be caused by an exhaust leak near the O2 sensors (at the header/y-pipe joint). Air pulled in at the leak will register as a lean condition by the O2 sensors and the ecu will compensate by richening the afr. You might want to be sure that your y-pipe is good and tight against the header.
Steve,
Do you know what the torque value of those bolts should be set? We are speaking of the 6 nuts that hold the y-pipe to the header.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Running a little rich after Y-pipe install

Steve,
Do you know what the torque value of those bolts should be set? We are speaking of the 6 nuts that hold the y-pipe to the header.
No, sorry, not offhand. If I remember, I'll look in the fsm tonight.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:43 AM

Did anyone replace all of the O2 sensors while installing the y-pipe? Since my car is at 130k miles, it may be close to replacement time anyway.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:49 PM

Re: Re: Running a little rich after Y-pipe install

Steve,
You hit the nail on the head!! My rear header/y-pipe was too loose. I must have had a air leak which caused the riching of the mixture. I snugged all 6 bolts up to 40ftlbs. I'm not sure of the proper torque values. But thanks to all who helped. This list is GREAT
Old 08-08-2003, 05:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Running a little rich after Y-pipe install

Steve,
You hit the nail on the head!! My rear header/y-pipe was too loose. I must have had a air leak which caused the riching of the mixture. I snugged all 6 bolts up to 40ftlbs. I'm not sure of the proper torque values. But thanks to all who helped. This list is GREAT
Yup. I know about this because it happened to me. Btw, the FSM said to torque to a range of 32-38 ft-lbs. Sorry I didn't get back to you about this earlier. 40 ft-lbs is fine, though.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Running a little rich after Y-pipe install

Yup. I know about this because it happened to me. Btw, the FSM said to torque to a range of 32-38 ft-lbs. Sorry I didn't get back to you about this earlier. 40 ft-lbs is fine, though.

How long did it take before your CEL light stayed off? Mine is coming on every couple of days and I just reset it. Codes 0707 and 0510. Thinking I might have to replaced rear O2. Might try running a couple of tanks of Chevron(93) through her and see if that helps. Hell, a rear sensor from Courtesy Nissan is $70. Thats about the same money.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Running a little rich after Y-pipe install

How long did it take before your CEL light stayed off? Mine is coming on every couple of days and I just reset it. Codes 0707 and 0510. Thinking I might have to replaced rear O2. Might try running a couple of tanks of Chevron(93) through her and see if that helps. Hell, a rear sensor from Courtesy Nissan is $70. Thats about the same money.
According to the field service manual, code 0707 can also be triggered by an air leak. Check the tightness of your y-pipe to cat joint before you go out and buy a new o2 sensor. Buying a new exhaust gasket from the dealer fixed an air leak I had at that joint.