4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Saw – CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003 | 10:14 PM

Saw – CAI

Is there another ways that you folks were able to cut the 3.5in hole with other than a hole saw? Hole saw appears to have a one chance to cut the opening. I am thinking about using some sort of saw that allow me to correct mistakes.
Old 08-10-2003 | 10:44 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when your sawing into your wheel well...there is no way to "correct mistakes". you could always drill a hole then use a jig saw to cut out the shape u want, but thats more of a wood technique, just plan it out really well
Old 08-11-2003 | 12:30 AM

i say get another intake that doesnt require ANY cutting. mistakes are not a good thing plus what if you want to sell the car? i love my injen intake ;]

-Michael
Old 08-11-2003 | 12:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What mistake can you possibly make?
Old 08-11-2003 | 01:44 AM

incorrect cutting i dont know im not doing it. things that you dont think can happen sometimes do happen. cutting a hole a bumper is somehting that needs to be done very carefully

sxn: wheel well...there is no way to "correct mistakes". you could always drill a hole then use a jig saw to cut out the shape u want

just dont f up ;]
Old 08-11-2003 | 03:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hmm...I'm trying to imagine how uncoordinated you'd have to be to screw it up. Basically, you drill a 3/8" hole...after that, the pilot lines it all up for you.
Old 08-11-2003 | 04:53 AM
V^___^V

don't worry about screwin up. on the instruction i supposed to drill a 3 inch hole. i drilled about 5 inch square, maybe a bit more. i was hella scared cuz i didn't wanna cut any stock frames or other parts. but it turned out tat nissan already provided an big space for the K&N to sit in. i even had extra spaced to add a spare hose to protect the intake pipe >>

after u put the fuse and battery back, u can't really see the reminder holes (mistakes).

if u don't wanna risk it, go for popchargers or hybrid intakes.
Old 08-11-2003 | 07:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Now I'm trying to imagine happyricefob

It's not that hard...if you're really paranoid about making a mistake, start out without the saw portion...just drill a pilot hole. Then attach the saw, and the rest is cake...not much to mess up.
Old 08-11-2003 | 12:01 PM
SXN

you dont have to cut with injen (right?) so why not try that out? Also, measure everything real well and just cut ONE hole, lol... if you take your time i dont think your gonna mess up. otherwise you can move the intake around a little if you drilled in the wrong spot... in the wise words of enjetek "dont f up"
Old 08-11-2003 | 12:46 PM

yup injen requires no cutting. 1-you don't need to buy a new bumper if u decide to sell your max and the new buyer want all the mods out and 2-you do not need to cut anything, which i think is the best reason to get another intak eif you have the dinero
Old 08-11-2003 | 01:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by enjetek
yup injen requires no cutting. 1-you don't need to buy a new bumper if u decide to sell your max and the new buyer want all the mods out and 2-you do not need to cut anything, which i think is the best reason to get another intak eif you have the dinero
who is cutting a hole in the bumper? The hole is inside of the engine bay right next to the battery. Even if he did remove the 'PR style' CAI I doubt many would notice the hole unless the battery was removed.
Old 08-11-2003 | 03:48 PM

from maxima.org:

Which intake system is the best?
The CAI makes the most horsepower. The Stillen and JWT are about equal. The JWT is the cheapest with the CAI being the most expensive. With the CAI, you will have to drill a 3" diameter hole in the fender well because the filter for the system sits in the fender well to suck in cool air

I meant to say fender my bad. the point is hopefully if you were buying a used car you would think the previous owner would tell you of anything done to the car. if you are one of thse shady people that don't well then good luck with happy customers.
Old 08-11-2003 | 04:43 PM
SXN

so where is the injen? because i heard it gets better performance than a pop charger, or a short style intake because its further from the hot engine. is that right?
Old 08-11-2003 | 07:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If having a 3" hole under your battery tray makes you a little leary...don't do it. Otherwise, it's a very easy process. The hardest thing is obtaining the hole saw
Old 08-11-2003 | 09:32 PM

CAI scare me, my friend just got his 2001 celica back after about 4 months of saving up because he needed a new engine when he his CAI sucked up some water and threw a rod... I say stick to hot air intakes, its way safer, and if your like me and live in florida, the air coming off the pavement is almost as hot as your engine air anyway...
Old 08-11-2003 | 09:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by TonyGotSkilz
CAI scare me, my friend just got his 2001 celica back after about 4 months of saving up because he needed a new engine when he his CAI sucked up some water and threw a rod... I say stick to hot air intakes, its way safer, and if your like me and live in florida, the air coming off the pavement is almost as hot as your engine air anyway...
I've met people who have gotten struck by lightning, but that doesn't stop me from going out in the rain.

You would have to do some serious watersports with your car to have to worry about hydrolocking your engine.
Old 08-11-2003 | 10:52 PM

your not gonna notice any difference with the cold air over the warm air. i had the warm air for a few months than put a cold air and didnt notice one bit of difference.
Old 08-11-2003 | 11:37 PM

That's really nice what you did with the hose and all. The little gasket thingy that comes with the PR CAI is so tiny it sucks. If I did the CAI all over again, I'd copy you

DW

Originally posted by happyricefob
don't worry about screwin up. on the instruction i supposed to drill a 3 inch hole. i drilled about 5 inch square, maybe a bit more. i was hella scared cuz i didn't wanna cut any stock frames or other parts. but it turned out tat nissan already provided an big space for the K&N to sit in. i even had extra spaced to add a spare hose to protect the intake pipe >>

after u put the fuse and battery back, u can't really see the reminder holes (mistakes).

if u don't wanna risk it, go for popchargers or hybrid intakes.
Old 08-11-2003 | 11:45 PM
SXN

yea thats a good point and something i always worried about being in California. we get some rainy winters, and i live close to the ocean. one certain road gets flooded, and during harsh winters, waves actually come up over the beach and onto streets. our winter is better than other places, but its just something im not messing with, also wouldnt it just get really dirty?
Old 08-12-2003 | 07:40 AM

Originally posted by sryth
I've met people who have gotten struck by lightning, but that doesn't stop me from going out in the rain.

You would have to do some serious watersports with your car to have to worry about hydrolocking your engine.
Difference between getting struck by lightning randomly and going out in a thunderstorm holding a 10 foot steel pole is about akin to going into the rain (period) with a CAI. My friend wasn't doing any water sports when it happened, and it actually wasn't raining very hard that day or flooded, all it takes is one wrong turn into a puddle, the littlest amount of water in your intake can mean new engine since water doest compress like air and fuel vapor. I mean to each his own and its probably a rare instance that you get water in your CAI but i'm gonna wear my rubber boots in the rain, not my steel hat, know what i mean.
Old 08-12-2003 | 11:31 AM

so the splah gaurd over the wheel has very little protection to prevent H2O getting into the CAI?
Old 08-12-2003 | 02:05 PM

Don't want to get water into your engine but want to keep your CAI? Get a bypass valve. I was at a local Nissan dealer the other day checking out aftermarket/performance parts for a 350z and saw on display the Stillen open air intake system with the bypass valve. Schweeet!
Old 08-12-2003 | 06:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maybe I, and so many others, are considerably lucky. I haven't seen that many reports of hydrolocked engines, and I've seen people with CAI's everywhere. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I'd expect you'd have to submerge the entire pipe in water for a while. This is assuming that the engine has enough suction to pull water up 36" of pipe.

As for building up pressure, yeah...I guess technically any drop of water will increase pressure...but unless you're car starts drinking, you'll be within tolerance. If this were a big issue, running a little rich would blow the valve seals/piston rings

Maybe I'm wrong...who knows...
Old 08-12-2003 | 07:06 PM

Last winter, my friend's stock integra sucked up water and hydrolocked his engine. I helped him remove all the water and when we started the car, the engine was making weird noises. He somehow talked the dealership into replacing his engine under warrantee.

Old 08-12-2003 | 07:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Lonely Driver
Last winter, my friend's stock integra sucked up water and hydrolocked his engine. I helped him remove all the water and when we started the car, the engine was making weird noises. He somehow talked the dealership into replacing his engine under warrantee.
Crazy...how did he get water up there? Go slow through a puddle?
Old 08-12-2003 | 08:29 PM

Water.. I live in oregon, it rains 3/4 of the year here, and I drive through pouring rain and huge puddles. I read about many different intakes, and looked at the dynos.. decided to go with the Injen Race Division CAI. Injen makes quality products, and I was convinced well enough by the location, and likely hood that you would suck water into the engine is the likely hood you'll have wet feet because your car is flooding.. And so I ordered the intake for my 95se and my friend and I installed it in less than an hour while sippin on our beers. It was simple, and fit almost as if it were oem. The filter gets air below the radiator, where colder air from the ground would be. I noticed that the car had considerable gains in horsepower that you could feel. I knew the torque dynos were accurate when I peeled em in 2nd easily. When it's colder/rains.. is when it's fastest. I have never seen any kind of trouble when i go thru the puddles that we get here, the ones that have developed over several days of constant rain. The water would have to be a little lower than the top of your hood before it goes into the engine. The intake is completely vertical, and the filter is oiled to repel water. If you guys don't believe me come visit oregon sometime and see how much I worry about water :-P I will agree that when it's hot out the intake doesn't help that much at all. But when the sun goes down on these summer nights, I'm ready to roast em and toast em.

you can find cold air intakes on ebay for maxima's for >100 easily now
even >50 dollars if you look... anyone can cut a hole.. it's stuff we learned in preschool.. cut out the CIRCLE O.

imho.. Anyone who knows their intake may suck up water, should also consider not driving through huge puddles of water.. That's when you drive the beater truck

okay anyways i've blabbed on long enough
-kenji
Old 08-12-2003 | 10:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Kenji: you make a good point...if the water level is high enough to get in any CAI, you're doing something wrong, and will probably cause some kind of damage CAI or not.
Old 08-12-2003 | 11:57 PM

I wasn't with him when it happened. He just told me he went over a big puddle of water and then his engine died and couldn't start.

Originally posted by sryth
Crazy...how did he get water up there? Go slow through a puddle?
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:29 AM

Just wanted to let people know a good review on the Injen. I stand by it, it's never given me any problems and I was happy to not have to saw my car.

taking the easy route isn't always the best, but it sometimes can work out that way.
-kenji
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:42 AM

Post a link of that good review.
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:54 AM

erk.. I meant that I wanted people to know that my personal experience with the Injen RD CAI was good, even in the rainy weather, and they can read my post above
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I believe he was referring to his own testimonial a few posts ago.
Old 08-13-2003 | 11:34 AM

So did you feel that the Injen performed better in the lower or higher RPM range? What's the average temp in your location during the day? Do you feel the car lagging a bit when its very hot outside?

Originally posted by kenji
erk.. I meant that I wanted people to know that my personal experience with the Injen RD CAI was good, even in the rainy weather, and they can read my post above
Old 08-13-2003 | 11:41 AM

like i said before, i love my ijen cai intake. it does feel kinda sluggish though when it's hot, but it's been kinda hot he in ca lately anyways. but at night when it's cold, it pulls quickly and i love it.
Old 08-13-2003 | 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It seems that people who get the Injens love them, and people who get the CAI's love them. I guess both are good intakes and you'd like either of them.
Old 08-15-2003 | 04:04 PM

I see good response after 2.5 grand, when we have our usual oregon weather (chilly outside better get a longsleeve shirt) right now we actually get hot days since it's summer (like 100 degrees or so not too bad) but it does lag a lot more. I notice on hot days it's harder to burn out and I don't see as much response until about 3.5-4 grand. Keep in mind my car is pretty much stock other than the intake.