4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

H&R vs. Progress/B&G Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Always sunny in philly

H&R vs. Progress/B&G Springs-Any pics?

ok, so i'm taking a look at a couple of these spring setups. I've heard NUMEROUS opinions from other threads and just totally confused about them. I am actually trying to get some info for my friend (i have the GC setup-trying to bring back to stock). I am looking for a very smooth ride with a moderate drop. I also had a couple questions:

-when it sags, what problems are occurred by it?

-its better to get springs that a stiff or soft? i'm kind of mixed up with these terminologies.

i wanted to know if there are a couple of you with these springs to give me links to your pages...i just wanna see the drop.

thank you in advance.

also, i've seen drew's site already...just need to clear up some quesitons and get opinions.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:13 AM

when it sags that just means the springs lose their stiffness and it no longer is supported the way it used to be...think of a bed and how its springs can become weaker over time if weight is laid on it[dont know if that's right but imagine with me]...stiff springs can make you feel every bump on a road while soft springs dampen out some bumps you may encounter...hope this helps. i will try to get my drop on 08.11.2003 because i couldn't get it on 08.09.2003 due to shipping problems. when i get pics i will post them.

-Michael
Old 08-11-2003, 01:06 AM
Always sunny in philly

thanx man.

but whats so great about getting stiffer springs? better response time off the bump? i personally just want a nice ride...
Old 08-11-2003, 01:45 AM

it just depends on your preference. some people like it soft others like it stiff.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by chillinmax
thanx man.

but whats so great about getting stiffer springs? better response time off the bump? i personally just want a nice ride...
Stiffer springs produce better handling, hands down. Depending on lots of other factors too of course.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:45 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: H&R vs. Progress/B&G Springs-Any pics?

Originally posted by chillinmax
I am looking for a very smooth ride with a moderate drop.
You should be looking at H&R springs and either Tokico Illuminas all around or Tokico Blues up front with KYB GR2 or AGX in the rear. That combo will give you a moderate drop, great handling and a ride thats as smooth as glass.

Progress springs are slightly stiffer then H&R's, B&G are stiffer then both of them and tend to sit low in the rear.

Good springs don't sag. Weight in your trunk make your a$$ sit lower then your front end. Thats called gravity. 5 Speeds sometimes drop unevenly because of a lighter front end, combine that with a system in the trunk and your rear end will sit lower then your front end. If you have a system and a 5 speed, get Koni's in the rear and set them up on the higher perch. Koni's have an adjustable lower perch which allows you to raise the spring up about 1/2 an inch.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: H&R vs. Progress/B&G Springs-Any pics?

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

You should be looking at H&R springs and either Tokico Illuminas all around or Tokico Blues up front with KYB GR2 or AGX in the rear. That combo will give you a moderate drop, great handling and a ride thats as smooth as glass.

Progress springs are slightly stiffer then H&R's, B&G are stiffer then both of them and tend to sit low in the rear.

Good springs don't sag. Weight in your trunk make your a$$ sit lower then your front end. Thats called gravity. 5 Speeds sometimes drop unevenly because of a lighter front end, combine that with a system in the trunk and your rear end will sit lower then your front end. If you have a system and a 5 speed, get Koni's in the rear and set them up on the higher perch. Koni's have an adjustable lower perch which allows you to raise the spring up about 1/2 an inch.
Tom, maybe I need to take a trip to the NYC area and ride around on my AGX's. Boston roads are pretty bad too but the ride still feels good. I swear I don't have that harshness you guys complain about on the front struts. I'm set at 2 right now and I LOVE the ride with the H&R's. The car is definitely stiffer but smooth as well. I guess for me, this is the perfect setup and wouldn't change a thing.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:53 AM

A lot of guys like the H&R/AGX setup, but it's not for everybody. It does ride pretty good, very sporty and handles amazing. I had that setup last summer and was "OK" with it. The car does ride very different on 16" -vs- 17's with that setup. My old 17" SP8000's gave me a harsh ride, however, the stock 16" wheels with Sport A2's on that setup was much better. Your still on high profile tires so your ride is probably pretty good. Throw on an agressive 17" tire and things start to change for the worse.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:57 AM

We'll see by next summer then. That's when the wheels will get upgraded.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:43 AM

Progress Springs

I have Progress/AGX set on 3/6, with 17 inch rims and 235/45 tires, ride is firm and very controlled, and the handling is awesome, I love it.

Go here for some pics

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~mitch33x/TSW's

Steve
Old 08-11-2003, 11:39 AM
Always sunny in philly

Re: Re: H&R vs. Progress/B&G Springs-Any pics?

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

I have tokico blues all around right now (for the exception that the passenger rear one blew out). I heard they tend to easily blow out in the rears when on coilovers. So i should go with H&R springs and AGX's in the rears..and leave the tokico blues up in front? If i do that, what setting should that be on?
Old 08-11-2003, 11:46 AM

Yes, leave the blues up front and set the rear AGX on 2 and tweak from there as you like.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:20 AM

Re: Progress Springs

Originally posted by mitch33x
I have Progress/AGX set on 3/6, with 17 inch rims and 235/45 tires, ride is firm and very controlled, and the handling is awesome, I love it.

Go here for some pics

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~mitch33x/TSW's

Steve

mitch33x,

I have the same strut/spring setup on my 95SE but with 15" sawblades. Have you tried other strut settings? If yes, what were your ride quality impressions?
Old 08-12-2003, 10:44 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I have H&Rs and KYB AGXs on a 5 spd with a 12" enclosure and amps in the trunk.. + tire spare, + jack etc.. and some junk..

to be honest, the rear sits a tiny bit lower but not to a point where it bothers me. In regular view, it looks very even. I can imagine the autos are perfectly even with this setup.

I'm also looking to go lower..
But ride quality will suffer but it's not the greatest right now as NY roads are terrible and I am on 18s..

How about Sprints? They are actually not as rough as people suggested to me.. I even rode in my friends 2k with Ground Control coilovers and AGXs and on small bumps, it's pretty good.. only it bottoms out too easily on bigger ones..

What is bad about Sprints?
Old 08-12-2003, 11:42 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

What is bad about Sprints?
They're not performance springs. Sure, they're low, but that doesn't mean they help handling. An excellent performance spring will give a lower center of gravity WITHOUT compromising wheel travel or at the limit handling. The increased spring rates should match the weight of the car. The two best options are Eibach and H&R. Slammed does not = amazing handling!!! Go to the auto-x and you'll see what I'm talking about. Most cars out there have some sort of lowering spring/coil-over, but they still have decent wheel gaps.

Dave
Old 08-12-2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
The two best options are Eibach and H&R. Slammed does not = amazing handling!!! Go to the auto-x and you'll see what I'm talking about. Most cars out there have some sort of lowering spring/coil-over, but they still have decent wheel gaps.

Dave
I couldn't have said it any better.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:20 PM

Re: Re: Progress Springs

Originally posted by seegarman

mitch33x,

I have the same strut/spring setup on my 95SE but with 15" sawblades. Have you tried other strut settings? If yes, what were your ride quality impressions?
I've played around with the settings and found that I like the 3/6 setting the best, on softer settings the car seems more "bouncy".

Try the 3/6 or 3/5 setting, the ride should be very smooth with 15inch rims and taller tires.

Steve
Old 08-13-2003, 10:42 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Dave B

They're not performance springs. Sure, they're low, but that doesn't mean they help handling. An excellent performance spring will give a lower center of gravity WITHOUT compromising wheel travel or at the limit handling. The increased spring rates should match the weight of the car. The two best options are Eibach and H&R. Slammed does not = amazing handling!!! Go to the auto-x and you'll see what I'm talking about. Most cars out there have some sort of lowering spring/coil-over, but they still have decent wheel gaps.

Dave
I see.
But the reason I want to go lower is because I like the look, not because I think my car will handle better. H&Rs make the car look stock.

Eibachs are rougher than Sprints from my experience. The drop is also very close to H&Rs. I guess B&Gs are the better choice for a lower drop and good performance?
Old 08-13-2003, 01:09 PM

I have progress and gr2 all the way around. IT IS GREAT. I got everything for the suspension for 450. The car rides just a smigget harsher than it did stock as an SE on harsh roads, but when I turn up the juice the car just sits down and rides very good. I think this is a great set up.. lowers even for 5spd, rides comfortable, gives good cornering....
Old 01-04-2004, 01:12 AM

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. i had maxspeeds on stock struts for about a year. the ride was comfortable to me. when i got the car dropzones were on the car and the ride was the worst. my question is how do progress feel compared to the maxspeeds. btw i am getting gr2s . i want just a little lower drop than the maxspeeds . will the progress give it to me? tom?
Old 01-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Always sunny in philly

although this thread was created a billion years ago, i eventually went w/progress. the drop on H&R's werent that impressive and i didnt get enough feedback on B&G springs. I went w/progress springs and agx's in rear w/tokico blues up front. the quality of the ride is great and the drop is just perfect. i plan to move from my 17'' konig absolutes to 18'' mille evo5's which would close the small gap i have left. GR2's are very good to pair up as well. if u want, check my webpage for some drop shots.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:28 AM

thats all i needed to hear. as long as it a noticeable differance in drop compared to the maxspeed/h&r but still a liitle comfy ill get em. where did you buy them from? price?
Old 01-04-2004, 01:43 PM

I've alwayts heard that Maxspeeds give you about the same drop as H&R's if not just a tad bit lower, but i have never heard how people like the maxspeeds for performance. My springs will be here in 3 days and I'm just knid of curious.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i love my progress.

If you want to see the before/after pics scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/202250/3

also it did drop alittle more over the next week while it settled. And the rear is sagging cause i have 2 12" subs and all my tools in the back. When i have just the box its a nice and even drop.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:51 PM

H&R are probably the closest springs to stock comfortablilty. Even though the stocks feel less bumpy, they still sit you way up in the air. H&R were the best in lowering the car at a conservative drop and still being comfortable enough to joy the ride.

I have before and after pics on my page. Check it out if you want to see how the max sits on them.