4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Loudest Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 12:54 PM

Loudest Intake

I got the DIY popcharger style now and it's ok but i got an automatic and im startin to feel lag off the start. I think im gonna get one of those Pro Car Parts CAI off ebay for like $50 and replace the filter.

I've read all the reviews of the different style intake advantages and disadvantages as far as performance but I couldnt really find anything bout the sound. I want the one that sounds "CLOSEST" to that american muscle car sound........loud deep growl.

Also if i put on the bypass valve on a CAI will that negate any performance i might have gained???? I have read a few different opinions on it.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

no intake is gonna give your VQ30DE an "american muscle" sound. Get a V8. But any intake will sound nice with our engine
Old 08-15-2003, 01:07 PM

Thats why i put in parethases and capitolized "CLOSEST"....or i could ask the question Which intake will give the loudest deepest most aggresive sound.

Also currently i have a popstyle air filter and its semi-aggresive
Old 08-15-2003, 01:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Keep your Pop Style air filter. Get a Midpipe like Frankencars Midpipe. They call that (Pop Charger and Midpipe) A Hybrid Intake. The midpipe will deepen the Intake sound a tad bit, and You will get your Low end power back.

Nick
Old 08-15-2003, 01:50 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Injen - Nothing sounds as deep as that intake does.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:54 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I have a "Pop Charger" (where did this name come from anyway?), it's pretty loud. Then I made a mid pipe put it on and it's hella loud, I mean way louder, deeper, and just a ****ed off sound. I recently took off the mid pipe to see if the car was faster, but the intake was not my problem it was the KS, anyway I'm putting the mid pipe back on today (just for the sound). Side note: someone on the Org said they tested a midpipe on the track and it slowed them down (like .1 or so).
Old 08-15-2003, 01:55 PM
Kevlo for President

MY INTAKE IS ALL AMERICAN V8 SOUND , i think it is because i have a big filter. i have a 4 or 5" filter(can't remember) with a 3" adapter. and i made my maf adpater and midpipe. my friend has a small filter and is not even close to my sound.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:49 PM
ivelweyz

Originally posted by JetBlackMax
Keep your Pop Style air filter. Get a Midpipe like Frankencars Midpipe. They call that (Pop Charger and Midpipe) A Hybrid Intake. The midpipe will deepen the Intake sound a tad bit, and You will get your Low end power back.

Nick
NO HE WON'T!!! The CAI from what I hear is the only intake that actually improves low end power. The hybrid makes you lose low end and it's very noticeable...

Old 08-15-2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by ivelweyz

NO HE WON'T!!! The CAI from what I hear is the only intake that actually improves low end power. The hybrid makes you lose low end and it's very noticeable...
I'll chime in about now... While the CAI does improve low end power, it becomes a restriction up top compared to a hybrid setup... In my case, with the midpipe/pop setup, i actually noticed a slight increase/same in low end power, but then again, that could probably be due to the fact that i cleaned the TB which was dirty as heck... Midrange and top end was definately increased with the hybrid... Plus the intake sounds WICKED driving around at like 2K-2.5K, nice low rumble then when you got WOT, get's louder and louder... My y-pipe increased the noise of the intake...
Old 08-15-2003, 05:26 PM
ivelweyz

I can't hear my intake unless I go WOT. My exhaust is what I hear until I step on it and even after that, around 60ish at WOT my exhaust starts this loud *** whoooshing sound...

Old 08-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Banned

injen. louder then a place racing. i think its the loudest & deepest but i could be wrong. also i don't think a bigger filter means a louder intake an engine will only suck in as much air as it neads. thats why its louder at higher RPMs needs more air, now....the sound is caused by the air going into the filter correct? the piping just accents the tone? injen is nice but pricey. i'd make my own looking back at it again.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man Ive heard the PR cai if Injen is louder than that then damn thats one nice rumble you get then.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:47 PM

Injen will give you the results you're looking for. It's definately the loudest and deepest that I have heard.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:58 PM
Dev

Originally posted by Torgus
injen. louder then a place racing. i think its the loudest & deepest but i could be wrong. also i don't think a bigger filter means a louder intake an engine will only suck in as much air as it neads. thats why its louder at higher RPMs needs more air, now....the sound is caused by the air going into the filter correct? the piping just accents the tone? injen is nice but pricey. i'd make my own looking back at it again.
the sound isn't caused by air going into the filter

its caused by the engine...and the sound is always there
in stock form, there are resonators to absorb the sound before it comes out...so no one can hear it
putting on an intake just gets rid of the resonators and lets the sound through
same thing will happen if you just remove your airbox and don't put anything on...its just the sound of the engine
essentially they'll all give the same type of sound.
CAI's will be a bit different because the sound has to travel through extra piping.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by JDogg96
Injen will give you the results you're looking for. It's definately the loudest and deepest that I have heard.
Yup. Scared the crap out of me the first time I hit WOT with it on.

At the track, I take the driver's side splash guard off... OMG! I love it.

I have yet to hear a louder intake. But just by looking at where the end of the intake is located, I doubt you can get a louder setup without cutting a hole in the hood and routing the intake trough that. I would like to see someone with that though.

D
Old 08-16-2003, 01:31 PM

injen rumble

have you guys noticed that the sound from the injen at the very beginning of acceleration maybe around 2500rpm is very "gargly" sounding ? (as in when you gargle water) - in other words, the sound from my injen is not one smooth, continuous, uniform sound, but kinda rumbling sounding. it doesnt sound too clean in my opinion. its a different story WOT though, alot more consistent sounding, and very nice and aggressive of course. i like it alot at the higher rpms when it smooths out.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:07 PM
be the change u want2C

I have a BOMZ CAI, I replaced that crap filter with a K&N, Its dope as hell!!!
Old 08-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Dev

Re: injen rumble

Originally posted by javasmiles
have you guys noticed that the sound from the injen at the very beginning of acceleration maybe around 2500rpm is very "gargly" sounding ? (as in when you gargle water) - in other words, the sound from my injen is not one smooth, continuous, uniform sound, but kinda rumbling sounding. it doesnt sound too clean in my opinion. its a different story WOT though, alot more consistent sounding, and very nice and aggressive of course. i like it alot at the higher rpms when it smooths out.
thats not the intake...its the engine
you'll get that same sound with any intake
Old 08-16-2003, 03:23 PM
Banned

Re: injen rumble

Originally posted by javasmiles

i'd say mine has a more grumble at the lower rpms but not a gargle. check your hoses...?
Old 08-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Old Maxima Legend

same here

Originally posted by ivelweyz
I can't hear my intake unless I go WOT. My exhaust is what I hear until I step on it and even after that, around 60ish at WOT my exhaust starts this loud *** whoooshing sound...
i got the frankencar and was expecting all hell to break lose under the hood. I could'nt tell much ...my loud magnaflow muffler just steals the show .. i have got to shut that thing up ! I do like the frankencar but plan on trying a cai or injen. from what i understand its a minimal hp change with any of them so, looks and sound come in to play for me . i would like to try one thats going to make me sound the toughest at the dragway !