4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Some bastard keyed my car... :-(

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2001, 03:19 PM

Went out for lunch today. When I got out of the car and headed back to the office from the parking lot, I noticed this long scratch along the driver side front fender to the driver side door. It was very obvious that someone did this intentionally with a key when walking by. Argh.. I am so O&#)^)()*#.... the car is not brand new but I have had it for just a little over a month.. I cannot believe it's happening to me. Sigh.. need to visit the body shop tomorrow morning... :-(
Old 02-09-2001, 03:31 PM

Dont know what people are thinking these days

I've had it done to me, and its really pretty sad. If it was up to me, I'd execute people for something like that with no questions asked.

Another thing, do you have any problems with anyone at all at the moment?

In any case your facing at least $500 to have the side repainted, but the worst part is that it will never be as good as new.
Old 02-09-2001, 03:53 PM

I totally agree with you.. it's not really the money that's upsetting me.. just the fact that the car will never be the same.. I cannot think of anyone whom I'd have and problem with. Probably some punk who gets jealous when seeing a nice car in the parking lot. Sigh....
Old 02-09-2001, 06:11 PM
Lives in a 350Z

compound man if the scratch isn't really deep you can pull it out.
Old 02-09-2001, 06:50 PM

its the rims

As soon as i read it i was like i bet he has rims, and i looked down at the pic of ur car and little stats about it and yep. I noticed cars with noticable mods get keyed a lot, this also includes body kits.

That's the major downfall of doing cosemetic things to your car, it's like the more you do the more chance someone is going to mess with it.

Like as soon as I got my tints and a wash that night (it was halloween) someone throw a pumpkin right at my driver side window. Granted it was halloween, but they had to go out of there way (top of my driveway and around another car ) to throw it at my window and noone else on my block got a window pumpkin.

When I walked out of my house I was like oh thats cool just a bunch of pumpkins in my driveway, I used to do that you know. Then I walked to my driver side and my jaw dropped and I turned into mike douglas from falling down.

-Nate
Old 02-09-2001, 07:43 PM

Clay, toothpaste, rubbing, scratch remover, wax prep...

That happened to me many times. Sometimes its just a scratch from a key or shopping cart. Sometimes its a down to the metal and past the clear coat situation. What surprised me the most is that claying really got rid of the scratches even though it look like its down to the bare metal. Just using a bottle of soap and water, spraying it, rubbing hard, and wiping can sometimes get rid of it. You should also try a paint filler such as GS27. They are like crayons and work like crayons. Find and mix the right color, draw it on, and wipe it off. Mother's scratch remover and Kit Haze remover works well too, but all of them will eventually come back.

If you don't want the scratch to come back, and it's down to the metal, buy some cans of touch-up paint from like Pep Boys. Keep it ready in your trunk because it will always happen. If it is not down to the metal, the way to permanately remove it is to use a wax prep such as Meguiar's Body Scrub or Meguiars Medallion Paint Cleaner.

Originally posted by nixima
Went out for lunch today. When I got out of the car and headed back to the office from the parking lot, I noticed this long scratch along the driver side front fender to the driver side door. It was very obvious that someone did this intentionally with a key when walking by. Argh.. I am so O&#)^)()*#.... the car is not brand new but I have had it for just a little over a month.. I cannot believe it's happening to me. Sigh.. need to visit the body shop tomorrow morning... :-(
Old 02-09-2001, 11:01 PM

No, fortunately it's not down to bare metal. The deepest part is to the primer. The other 2/3 is through clear coat. Can I fix it without repainting? I will try those scrubs first. I have a Nissan touch up paint but I don't think it matches very well. Should I scrub after I apply them? Any advices?
Old 02-09-2001, 11:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dude..that sucks. it happened to me a couple of weeks ago too..if i knew who it was, i'd open up a can of whoop-***. thank god i have a buddy at a body shop he buffed out most of it for free..
Old 02-09-2001, 11:06 PM

Nforg, I am not sure if it's the rims. My rims are not that fancy. The plaza I had lunch at had many more expensive cars. My friend's MBZ C280 with 18" AMG rims was parked right next to mine and his was fine. Another friend's 944turbo with 18" 911Turbo rims was close by too.. There was a black M3 and even a shiny red NSX close by at that time. Argh.. why me?!?!?
Old 02-10-2001, 09:29 AM

japanese CaR haters thats why

Im just playing.. but it sures sounds like the case. As for me it happened twice. fixed it the first time.. costed me 800 bucks. and now this time its a key to the hood with two lines. not gonna fix it for awhile.
Old 02-10-2001, 10:20 AM

Yes, I think it is Japanese car haters that some here call like, "Rustang" and they call Maxes "rice boy."

I don't think you should use a paint cleaner after touch-up paint. You should use it BEFORE painting and if it doesn't work, THEN paint.

Nforg, I am not sure if it's the rims. My rims are not that fancy. The plaza I had lunch at had many more expensive cars. My friend's MBZ C280 with 18" AMG rims was parked right next to mine and his was fine. Another friend's 944turbo with 18" 911Turbo rims was close by too.. There was a black M3 and even a shiny red NSX close by at that time. Argh.. why me?!?!?
Old 02-10-2001, 10:45 AM

this happen to me too but it was at school but i think it is some *** that is just jelous but i think the person that did this doesnt like me whatever. it might have been the rims because i have 18s chrome
but on tv i saw this product that removes scraches i got the phone number so if u want it e mail me im about to get it for myself too. but the thing is you need to fill out a survay so if u want the number e mail me

[Edited by krmaxima on 02-10-2001 at 12:49 PM]
Old 02-10-2001, 06:03 PM

Thank you all for your adives. I am taking the car to the body shop next week and have it done professionally. I tried different things today and it's just not working. The cut it just too deep! I will probably talk to the body shop to see if they can do something about the $100 deductable I need to pay.
Old 02-10-2001, 10:04 PM
kineshi1

DONT USE

dont use that crappy touch up paint it looks horrible, try buffing but other than that just take the abuse it will happen regardless... i have a black max and i hate it caus all the s$$$ shows up...sorry man

Old 02-11-2001, 09:32 AM

That sucks...My car got keyed about a month ago, and it was two weeks after I got my whole car repainted! Plus, its Pearl White, so I can't use touch up or any of the paint fillers because its a three step painting process. Pisses me off so bad! At least I can get that side repainted at the body shop for $400. Still sucks. Wish I had a 1000000000V alarm that could sense a key touching the paint and then send all that current through the key and into his ***!!
Old 02-11-2001, 06:49 PM

I know a few people who keyed cars and got their cars keyed. It's usually because you pissed someone off right then and there. Someone you don't know and someone who doesn't know you. Someone who blasts their music or spins their tires right in front of people usually get their car keyed. Another big one is if you take a spot someone else thought belonged to them.
Old 02-13-2001, 09:50 PM

that's an interesting comment. I thought about this Max that I see a lot in the parking lot of where I work. It's a gen3, 92, cream colored, tint all around, 17-inch wheel, lowered. He usually parks very close to the entrace and that day I did take HIS spot. So Monday when I pulled in the lot, I picked a parking spot that's rather far away from the entrance. As I walked towards to the entrance, I saw that Mas pulling in and took that spot. And it's someone I met once. So I started a conversation with him about Maxima's. It turned out he's got Eibach, Tokiko, etc etc on his car. After the conversation, I was rather convinced he did not do it. Obviously I did not confront him. But I figured a person who loves his own Maxima so much would never vandalize another fellow Maxima owner's car. So the search much go on....

I did pay the body shop a visit. $926!!!! Ouch! He is going to repaint the front fender and door. In addition, he needs to paint the hood partially in order to blend the color. Metallic colors are hard to match. Since the insurance covers it, the only thing I care is whether the job is done right.
Old 02-13-2001, 10:42 PM

Thats sucks man. I also got my car keyed. It happened at the mall by my house on 2/10. On the door behind the driver was keyed with a smiley face on the bottom end of it. So i went to the mall security and told them and they checked the tapes and the damn camera wasnt even facing n e cars the entire time. So I rushed home and bought some of that GS27 stuff with the paint sticks. I put it on that same night and I didnt take it off till Mon yesterday. Then I put more on. And I just took it off. I havent driven it at all cause its been raining here a lot. So I will wax it tomorrow and see what it looks like. This all happens when I want to sell my car. This sucks big time. Maybe someone that got mad that i must have smokes before
Does anyone know how much it is around to paint only a door? Thanks guys i feel all of you too.

Chris