4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tranny on the bench now...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 12:23 PM

After 162,000 miles, my tranny finally puked. I drove all the way to my dealer in 3rd gear, the only gear that would engage. The rebuild is in progress at this writing.

I asked if they could install a lower final drive gear, to give me more low-end grunt. They said they checked, but a lower final drive gear isn't available. Therefore, a stock restoration is the order of the day.

They quoted me $1100 to complete the rebuild, about half of what they'd charge me for a new tranny. I decided to shun a junk-yard special, and I got tired of waiting for the much anticipated Cattman/Quaife LSD. I just pray the serviceman knows his way around a tranny...

I look forward to stirring the gears on my baby again by the middle of next week... Next up: Cattman Y-pipe and NOS.

Old 02-10-2001, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by bullseye
After 162,000 miles, my tranny finally puked. I drove all the way to my dealer in 3rd gear, the only gear that would engage. The rebuild is in progress at this writing. ...
What happened when you tried to engage the other gears? Grinding sounds? Shifter seem "locked out"? Something else? Did you have only 3rd gear, or 3rd and neutral?

You put in a new clutch at 125K. Will you leave it alone or take this opportunity to replace it at low cost (since the tranny is already out}?
Old 02-10-2001, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
After 162,000 miles, my tranny finally puked. I drove all the way to my dealer in 3rd gear, the only gear that would engage. The rebuild is in progress at this writing. ...
What happened when you tried to engage the other gears? Grinding sounds? Shifter seem "locked out"? Something else? Did you have only 3rd gear, or 3rd and neutral?

You put in a new clutch at 125K. Will you leave it alone or take this opportunity to replace it at low cost (since the tranny is already out}?
Good to hear from you, Daniel.

I actually had 1st, 3rd, and neutral. If I tried to engage any of the other gears, it seemed as if the shifter were blocked out of the slot. If I tried to "force" the shifter (I didn't use my feet!), it wouldn't engage fully, and a grind would start when I began to eeeeease the clutch out. Naturally, at that point, I gave up trying to shift into the other gears. I hope my gears are OK. I think things are "worn out a little" inside there... ya think?!

My clutch is probably in *great* shape. I always do lift-throttle upshifts, and I always match revs on downshifts. I learned how to drive on a stick, and I have driven a series of manual-shift cars over a 26-year period. I have *always* been easy on my clutches [and brakes].

I didn't think about a new clutch before, but your question does make me stop and think. You know, my Centerforce Gold is in good condition, so I should just leave it alone, for now. I think I can put another 50K miles on it, at least.
Old 02-10-2001, 07:02 PM

... I actually had 1st, 3rd, and neutral. If I tried to engage any of the other gears, it seemed as if the shifter were blocked out of the slot. If I tried to "force" the shifter (I didn't use my feet!), it wouldn't engage fully, and a grind would start when I began to eeeeease the clutch out. Naturally, at that point, I gave up trying to shift into the other gears. I hope my gears are OK. I think things are "worn out a little" inside there... ya think?! ...
I'll speculate that your gears are okay, and so are the synchronizers. I'm hoping you have nothing worse than bent shifter forks and/or damaged detent mechanisms. If this is true your transaxle needs much less than a complete rebuild.
Old 02-10-2001, 07:10 PM

Thank you very much for your input, Daniel. I'll let you know. The information in your feedback may prove to be most useful...