4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need help, DTC read out: 0110 - intake air temperature sensor circuit

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 07:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

DTC read out: 0110 - intake air temperature sensor circuit

what exactly does this mean? is it serious, how can this be corrected? thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-2001, 06:41 AM

Intake air temp sensor

Originally posted by enticiveblkmax

what exactly does this mean? is it serious, how can this be corrected? thanks in advance.
I got this code once along with "rear heated oxygen sensor" and I replaced the sensor but that code did not go away. After changing spark plugs and using fuel injector cleaner both codes went away. I assume the plugs were not burning fuel like they should have and the 02 sensor picked this up but I cannot give you any reason why the Intake Air Temp Sensor was on or why it went away. I don,t have my Factory Service Manual handy so I,m not to sure on how to check this sensor though I,m sure it,s just a resistance check. You could check your plugs to see if they look bad and if they appear so change them out as you would need to do so anyway.
Old 02-11-2001, 12:51 PM

How did you obtain this Diagnostic Trouble Code? Did it come from an electronic scanner tool or the simple "count the flashes" on the Malfunction Indicator Light?
Old 02-11-2001, 02:16 PM

i followed the instructions on the maxfaq page to get the codes. i did the simple count the flashes technique. i remember when i installed my cold air intake i forgot to plug in the sensor that goes into the hole before the MAF sensor. the light went away after a week. if it went away on its own, does the computer show the check engine light to remind you if you didnt reset it the first time it came on.
Old 02-11-2001, 07:06 PM

i followed the instructions on the maxfaq page to get the codes. i did the simple count the flashes technique. i remember when i installed my cold air intake i forgot to plug in the sensor that goes into the hole before the MAF sensor. the light went away after a week. if it went away on its own, does the computer show the check engine light to remind you if you didnt reset it the first time it came on.
There's something puzzling about this situation.

Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQ page has a table of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes at
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/engcodes1.gif and
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/engcodes2.gif.
You will see that codes read with the dealer's CONSULT machine or a scan tool all begin with the letter P. Codes read with the "count the flashes" technique are just four numerics.

There is a CONSULT DTC which is P0110. There is no ECM DTC which is 0110 (unless I overlooked it). Therefore I have to question whether you counted flashes correctly. Please elaborate.
Old 02-12-2001, 01:21 AM

i read it incorrectly, i believe the correct readout from the ECM is actually 1001, i read it backwards.
Old 02-12-2001, 06:52 AM

Front Bank Oxygen Sensor

i read it incorrectly, i believe the correct readout from the ECM is actually 1001, i read it backwards.
Diagnostic Trouble Code 1001 indicates a problem with the front Oxygen Sensor for the left bank. The left bank is the front bank of cylinders, the three cylinders nearest the radiator. The Engine Control Module sensed an out-of-range signal from this sensor. When that happened, the ECM did these things:
- Turned on the Malfunction Indicator Light
- Set DTC 1001
- Decided to ignore the signals from that sensor

There is a problem with that front Oxygen Sensor or its associated wiring. The "fix" is to replace the sensor.

Oxygen Sensors will fail due to long use. However, you should consider whether there is some underlying cause which should also be corrected. For instance, an engine which is burning oil would cause deposits to form inside the exhaust system, gunking up the sensor's tip and also clogging the Catalytic Converter. If you replace the sensor without also fixing the basic problem, the new sensor will soon go bad.