4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Helpppppp....White smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Helpppppp....White smoke!

I have a 95SE with 123K miles. I have only had the car almost 2 months. Well almost every morning and after the car is sitting for a while it will blow what looks like white smoke. Sometimes it doesn't seem as much as others. I smelled the smoke and it does smell kind of sweet, but it doesn't smell like antifreeze. After it smokes for 5-10 seconds, then it is fine and I don't see it do it again until it has been sitting for a while. Sometimes it won't do it again all day and sometimes it will smoke a little after 2 hours. I checked the fluid levels and the oil is not milky and has not gone down too much. I think I have added a 1/2 a quart in 3000 miles. I am just about to change the oil, so I will see what it looks like in the pan. Also, the coolant is still very green and has not gone down any level. I am lost as too what it might be. I am about to take it to the dealer, but they charge a flat hour fee of 80 bucks and I don't really like dealers. I thought maybe it has a blown or leaky head gasket, but I am not sure of all the symptoms. The car runs great other than that. It has never overheated. I drove it 400 miles out of town in 100 degree weather and it ran great. I don't think it is oil coming out of the exhaust, but I guess I don't know. My buddy worked at Honda and he thinks it is valve seals and that the smell I am smelling is the car running rich when I start it. I don't really notice any bluish color to the smoke though. Its more of a white-greyish color. I just don't want anything bad to happen. Does anybody have any ideas?
Old 09-02-2003, 01:54 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

The sweet smell probably is it running rich - you can tell if it's coolant by the distinctive smell.

If you leave the car sitting for a day or two, have a friend start it up while you sit at the back and smell the exhaust. If the valve stem seals are only leaking a tiny bit then you'll only get oil smell for a second or two.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:32 PM

So what will burning coolant smell like? I would just think if it was a Blown Head Gasket I would have other symptoms by now and this has been going on since I have owned the car for almost 2 months.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:43 PM

From the symptoms that you explained, it seems to me that you have either a leaking or blown head gasket. Coolant in the exhaust does have a sweet smell to it. By the way, how does your car run in the city? At higher speeds, engines have an easier time staying cool.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:59 PM

It runs great in the city. We have had some 100 plus degree days and it has still run great, even with the ac on. It has never overheated and the temp gauge always stays right in the middle. Tonight, I checked the radiator and the fluid looks perfect and the overflow is at the level it was when I bought the car. I also checked the oil and it looked great. Today for instance I was at work for 2 hours and I started the car and it blew smoke. Then I got home and the car sat for 3 hours and I started it and nothing whatsoever came out of the exhaust. I am wondering if an O2 sensor could do anything odd like this. I figured if the head gasket was blown or leaking it would run a little worse and show other signs of it. I mean I have had the car for a while and it has always run great. I guess I just don't know where to go from here.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:02 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the sweet smell is a coolant leak. if its running excessively rich, you would smell gasoline (you know what a rich engine mixture smells like right? kinda?)
Old 09-02-2003, 07:03 PM

Yeah I know what a rich mixture smells like. So where else could the coolant be coming from? Also shouldn't the level be going down if it is going somewhere?
Old 09-02-2003, 09:34 PM

Could it just be the normal condensation from the exhaust getting hot quickly and containing moisture laden (humid) air? Every vehicle I've owned will do this when first started in the morning in high humidity conditions.
I'd keep an eye on the coolant level and oil condition to be on the safe side (which you should be doing anyways). But I wouldn't start tearing things apart until you have more symptoms than just white smoke only at start up.

Dave
Old 09-02-2003, 09:37 PM

It just seems like its more smoke than it should be, even if it is from condensation. It also has some smell to it and they say condensation is odorless.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:55 PM

The smell could be from the car running rich (pre-programmed mixture in the ECU) when not at operating temp. Also keep in mind that since the car is cold, the cat won't be working yet, which will affect the smell of the exhaust (it won't necessarily smell like just running rich). Another thing that can affect the smell would be fuel additives or gasoline type. There are even fuel additives sold that will make your exhaust smell like berries and such (I believe it's Jeg's that sells them).

Dave
Old 09-02-2003, 10:00 PM

Thats true. I never thought about the cat coming into play yet. It definitely doesn't smell like gas though. I guess it could be the combination of leaky valve seals and the car running rich. Thanks for the replys.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:27 PM

No problem. I'd keep a closer eye than normal on your coolant level (I keep mine filled exactly to the max hot line when cold so I can be very accurate with level checks, and check it when cold. This cuts out a lot of guessing about where it should be). This is just to be safe until you can absolutely rule out a blown head gasket.
You could also do a compression check, if you have the gauge and knowledge. AutoZone might even rent them out.
With no other symptoms, I think it would be premature to freak out about a little white smoke and weird smell. Especially when every car I've owned has exhibited the same exact things. They were all completely normal. But a little caution and inspection is a good thing.
Now that I reminded myself about the fragrant fuel treatment, I need to order some. Then I'll put some in a friend's gas tank without his knowledge, and watch him freak for about a week trying to figure what the smell is (and I'll be the first one he asks for troubleshooting advice. Should be fun).

Dave
Old 09-03-2003, 08:37 AM

I guess I could do a compression check. How hard is it to get to the back 3 plugs?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:52 PM

Kevin (this is Scott.. ZFreak)...

I'd say it sounds like it "may" be one of the head gaskets that has a small leak (maybe on the fire ring instead of the coolant holes on the actual gasket). Keep a close eye on your coolant level, and check the oil a lot, and SMELL the oil as well to see if it's smelling anything other than "normal".
Old 09-03-2003, 01:43 PM

Thanks Scott...I guess I will keep my eye on the coolant and the oil. I wish there was a sure way I could tell either way. I don't want anything bad to happen to it.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:53 PM

hey man, i'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but I had a similar problem- 96 se with 140k. It was not a lot of smoke though, a little bit which would go away after a while. I started thinking that maybe it was unburned fuel because of the spark plugs. I changed those, the problem's gone.
You can get the back plugs off pretty easy. The only one that might be a problem is the one on the left (driver's" side). Its pretty tight around there. It can be done though. Hope this helps!
Old 09-03-2003, 06:09 PM

What color of smoke did you have? So you replaced the spark plugs and the problem went away? I might have to try that. Its hard telling when the last time they were changed.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by krue92
What color of smoke did you have? So you replaced the spark plugs and the problem went away? I might have to try that. Its hard telling when the last time they were changed.

white color that would stay a for a little while. I've had the car since I bought it at 68k so I knew the plugs were about due
Old 09-03-2003, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by cydrive
white color that would stay a for a little while. I've had the car since I bought it at 68k so I knew the plugs were about due
yeah, i just changed the spark plugs
Old 09-03-2003, 11:35 PM

I changed the spark plugs last night, so I guess I will see. One of the spark plugs was real loose. I didn't even have to use a socket wrench on it. I also did a compression test on it and the numbers were all real good. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:49 AM

Krue92,
Did you ever get your smoke to go away?
My '95 also has smoke for a bit after startup, but not always.

Originally Posted by krue92
I changed the spark plugs last night, so I guess I will see. One of the spark plugs was real loose. I didn't even have to use a socket wrench on it. I also did a compression test on it and the numbers were all real good. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:07 AM

Yes I did get it fixed. It was one of the rear spark plugs was loose. It hasn't smoked since.