4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Multi Code Errors (4) do I have a short? error #s 0500 0325 0105 1105 PLEASE HELP???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 10:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Multi Code Errors (4) do I have a short? error #s 0500 0325 0105 1105 PLEASE HELP???

I just keep on getting bad news after bad news after bad news. In my cluster my speedometer and odometer don't work but the rest of the cluster does. When I posted earlier the same problem I was told just to get a new cluster. Today when I went to the dealer he gave ran a diagnosis report. This is exactly what he printed out...
1. VEH SPEED SEN/CIRC
[P0500]

2. KNOCK SEN/CIRCUIT
[P0325]

3. ABSL PRES SEN/CIRC
[P0105]

4. MAP/BAR SW SOL/CIRC
[P1105]

After the diagnostics he started working his way on ripping me off. He said that you have a multicode error which means that you have a short somewhere. Then he went on to say in order to fix it they have to take out the whole dash, which is 10 hrs worth of labor @ $85/hr. Only after that they are going to start looking for the circuit. I then asked them what would happen if I just replce the cluster, since the only problem that I see is that my speedometer doesnt work. He told me that it will circuit out again. Please help me I dont know what to do, should I replace the cluster, should I go to an electrician, could it be the on board computer? Whats the best way to fix all those problems so that way

a. my speedometer and odmoter work
b. cheapest possible way

Also if I get a new cluster will it def short out, or was the guy BSing me?
Old 09-13-2003, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by BLCKMAX
I just keep on getting bad news after bad news after bad news. In my cluster my speedometer and odometer don't work but the rest of the cluster does. When I posted earlier the same problem I was told just to get a new cluster. Today when I went to the dealer he gave ran a diagnosis report. This is exactly what he printed out...
1. VEH SPEED SEN/CIRC
[P0500]

2. KNOCK SEN/CIRCUIT
[P0325]

3. ABSL PRES SEN/CIRC
[P0105]

4. MAP/BAR SW SOL/CIRC
[P1105]

After the diagnostics he started working his way on ripping me off. He said that you have a multicode error which means that you have a short somewhere. Then he went on to say in order to fix it they have to take out the whole dash, which is 10 hrs worth of labor @ $85/hr. Only after that they are going to start looking for the circuit. I then asked them what would happen if I just replce the cluster, since the only problem that I see is that my speedometer doesnt work. He told me that it will circuit out again. Please help me I dont know what to do, should I replace the cluster, should I go to an electrician, could it be the on board computer? Whats the best way to fix all those problems so that way

a. my speedometer and odmoter work
b. cheapest possible way

Also if I get a new cluster will it def short out, or was the guy BSing me?
I hope you didnt pay for his diagnostics.... From what I have seen on the ORG in the ECU sticky's link to decoding the code there isnt a 0500

A knock sensor code os 0304, i dont know what they guy got....

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

Check it out yourself and report back to us....

-Michael
Old 09-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by mikey07005
I hope you didnt pay for his diagnostics.... From what I have seen on the ORG in the ECU sticky's link to decoding the code there isnt a 0500

-Michael
He has listed the error codes in there OBD-II scanner format, which are different than our ECU flash codes. To me it sounds like his speed sensor failed, this would explain as to why the Speedo and Odometer both dont work. They both need a AC signal from the speed sensor to work properly. If the gauge cluster is replaced I doubt it would fix the problem. The speed sensor should be tested to see if it works.

"
0104 -

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0104 points to a problem with the Vehicle Speed Sensor or the associated wiring.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor installed on the transaxle. The part inside the transaxle has a plastic gear which is driven by the internal parts of the transaxle. The part outside is a signal generator which produces a square wave of amplitude 5.2 volts and frequency proportional to vehicle speed.

Remove the VSS, attach a voltmeter to the electric leads, and spin the gear
by hand. If you get zero volts, it's dead.

One owner discovered his VSS was not fully seated in the transaxle. He just tapped it inward, and retightened the 10mm mounting bolt.

For more information please refer to the Chilton repair manual (page 4-22) or the Haynes repair manual (page 6-16).

"
Old 09-13-2003, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by mikey07005

-Michael
Michael thnx for responding. He printed out the whole report he told me that I HAVE A SHORT. As I listed before he wants like 1000$ just to check it out isn't there anyother way?
Old 09-13-2003, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
He has listed the error codes in there OBD-II scanner format, which are different than our ECU flash codes. To me it sounds like his speed sensor failed, this would explain as to why the Speedo and Odometer both dont work. They both need a AC signal from the speed sensor to work properly. If the gauge cluster is replaced I doubt it would fix the problem. The speed sensor should be tested to see if it works.

"
0104 -

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0104 points to a problem with the Vehicle Speed Sensor or the associated wiring.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor installed on the transaxle. The part inside the transaxle has a plastic gear which is driven by the internal parts of the transaxle. The part outside is a signal generator which produces a square wave of amplitude 5.2 volts and frequency proportional to vehicle speed.

Remove the VSS, attach a voltmeter to the electric leads, and spin the gear
by hand. If you get zero volts, it's dead.

One owner discovered his VSS was not fully seated in the transaxle. He just tapped it inward, and retightened the 10mm mounting bolt.

For more information please refer to the Chilton repair manual (page 4-22) or the Haynes repair manual (page 6-16).

"
That's exactly what I thought. So I went out and replaced the speed censor, and ordered a brand new one from the dealer and it was installed, that did not fix the problem!!! So my next guess was the on board computer, I thought since it's reading all these codes that would be the problem. However the dealer said I have a short somewhere. and so he decided to rip me off. My question is what should I do?? Should I get a new computer? should I get my wires tested because of all these codes? I am so confused, can someone please if possible lay out what needs to happen in order for the engine light to stop flashing, and for the speedometer to work???
Old 09-14-2003, 08:27 AM

Michael thnx for responding. He printed out the whole report he told me that I HAVE A SHORT. As I listed before he wants like 1000$ just to check it out isn't there anyother way?
DOES ANYONE else have any ideas?
Old 09-14-2003, 08:47 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

Clear the codes and see whichcodes come back, and how quickly they come back.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scruit
Clear the codes and see whichcodes come back, and how quickly they come back.
and after I clear them, if they all come back what happens, is there anything else I can do?
Old 09-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Kevlo for President

if they come back. report them to us

u can check my sig for details to or the third link on the sticky "help check engine light is on"
Old 09-14-2003, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by kevlo911
if they come back. report them to us

u can check my sig for details to or the third link on the sticky "help check engine light is on"
well I know but my codes are different then the ones in the document. Also the codes all have circuit at the end, meaning that its a circuit problem, that is why I guess the dealer thought it was a short. If it is how much do I expect to pay to fix it?
Old 09-15-2003, 04:22 PM

well I know but my codes are different then the ones in the document. Also the codes all have circuit at the end, meaning that its a circuit problem, that is why I guess the dealer thought it was a short. If it is how much do I expect to pay to fix it?
PLEASE HELP
Old 09-16-2003, 07:06 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

well I know but my codes are different then the ones in the document.
No they are not...

When you use the ECU procedure to flash the codes on the check engine light it will display codes that match the document on this site. (proprietary nissan format)

When you use an OBD-II scanner to read the codes it will display codes in OBD-II format (which is what the dealer showed you)

For example... When I do the ECU procedure my check engine light will flash 03 04 for knock sensor. When I plug in my OBD-II scanner for the same thing it will display "P0325 - Knocks sensor circuit fault bank 1 or 1 sensor".
Old 09-16-2003, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scruit
No they are not...

When you use the ECU procedure to flash the codes on the check engine light it will display codes that match the document on this site. (proprietary nissan format)

When you use an OBD-II scanner to read the codes it will display codes in OBD-II format (which is what the dealer showed you)

For example... When I do the ECU procedure my check engine light will flash 03 04 for knock sensor. When I plug in my OBD-II scanner for the same thing it will display "P0325 - Knocks sensor circuit fault bank 1 or 1 sensor".
Which dealer is this? Just wanna make sure I won't go there. Also, have a 1008 code which keeps coming back.. Trying to figure it out...
Old 09-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yeah, no kidding...
Old 09-16-2003, 01:29 PM

blckmax: you may have a bad wire harness.
the dealer may be right. i doubt that 4 sensors would fail at once. i would get a few more opinions. ill go ask one of the mechanics.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by jdmmax
blckmax: you may have a bad wire harness.
the dealer may be right. i doubt that 4 sensors would fail at once. i would get a few more opinions. ill go ask one of the mechanics.
I see.. I went to the mechanic today and he basically did the tests.... The thing is when he went on the OBd-II scanner it connected fine, but when he plugged it in through the other way (serial port) I think that's the true way like the P0105 type of code his computer kept on freezing. So that's what I cant figure out. Could it be the whole computer being messed up, or could it be the circuits? or both? I know its know the cluster. When he checked on the computer and I drove around the computer did not read any miles reported. What could this be?
Old 09-16-2003, 10:39 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

you know what i have a feeling u have a bad ground somewhere, why dont u check all the ground points ( i dont know where all of them are) but see if u can find any loose or very cruded up bolts that are connected to a ground on the chassis, you might just be in luck and that could be it, i now the Knock sensor is grounded to the intake manifold