4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

*help* Major Acceleration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 07:06 PM

*help* Major Acceleration Problem

Hey,

I thought maybe somebody can help me. I have a 99 maxima and am having problems with my acceleration. After several trips to the dealer and no help, I am ready to get rid of my maxima if only I can fix the problem.

PROBLEMS:

When I press the pedal, there is always a vibration in it rather than it being a smooth press. The pedal has a lot of elasticity to it. On the highway, it is very uncomfortable to drive. If I am coasting at 70mph and go to accelerate, the pedal has too much slack IN it and I constantly have to press the pedal till I get that umph feeling rather than it being present right away to the point to keep my speed and to accelerate faster. The pedal doesn't have umph behind it - It feels loose rather than there being a lot of power. The timing is off or something causing my car to shift and my pedal not to go along with the shift. Example: I press the gas and as the car is shifting, instead of the pedal being stiff and going through the proper movement - it feels like a rubber band and the pedal will fling forward! Also, the car won't fully follow through with the shift unless I apply a lot of pressure to the pedal. I have cleaned the throttle body, replaced the cable. Could this be a fuel pump/fuel regulator problem? I have had plenty of diagnostic tests done but no codes have shown up. It is an intermittent problem but is occurring regularly. The ride is crappy and i want to get it fixed. Did anyone experience anything like this? If so or you have any ideas, please advise! If you are confused, take it for a drive - and tell me what you think. Any philly , NJ , max owners - let me know if you have time to test drive it. Anyone else, your ideas are welcome. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:32 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

hey man where are u located, im in nj might be abl to help check it out
Old 09-16-2003, 08:36 PM

Perhaps your Knock Sensor is gone bad
Old 09-17-2003, 04:14 AM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Or your throttle cable may be loose/blocked.
After some engine work a few months ago, I left an obstruction in the way of my throttle cable (electrical wire).
The next morning while driving to work, my car fails to completely stop while I'm braked. All this in traffic no less. And I get a burning smell. I think it's the transmission at first, but I'm wrong. I shift the car into park to stop completely (the car revs to about 5k rpm and stays there, and shifting into drive drop-kicks the car forward) So I used my e-brake together with my forward brakes to keep the car stopped. Once I park my car and take a look under the hood, I realize what i had started to suspect: The throttle had been jammed open by the obstruction. The opposite can occur as well: it can fail to open properly due to an obstruction as well (possibly causing most of your symptoms)
Old 09-17-2003, 09:19 AM

Get a Haynes and check your TPS.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

adjust the trottle cable. Check the motor oil. Might want to change your oil while youre at it.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

rubbery accelorator

Check to see if you have any bent edges on the cable guides. Usually this problems is fixed after putting on a new cable or throttle body. The only thing that could be doing it is a bent edge someplace on the cable guide that would keep the cable from returning to it's normal tension position. If that is the case try to bend it back, file it down if it is a sharp edge, or replace the guides. I am in Bergen County. If you want me to take a look at it let me know. Good luck.
Originally Posted by NisMax615
Hey,

I thought maybe somebody can help me. I have a 99 maxima and am having problems with my acceleration. After several trips to the dealer and no help, I am ready to get rid of my maxima if only I can fix the problem.

PROBLEMS:

When I press the pedal, there is always a vibration in it rather than it being a smooth press. The pedal has a lot of elasticity to it. On the highway, it is very uncomfortable to drive. If I am coasting at 70mph and go to accelerate, the pedal has too much slack IN it and I constantly have to press the pedal till I get that umph feeling rather than it being present right away to the point to keep my speed and to accelerate faster. The pedal doesn't have umph behind it - It feels loose rather than there being a lot of power. The timing is off or something causing my car to shift and my pedal not to go along with the shift. Example: I press the gas and as the car is shifting, instead of the pedal being stiff and going through the proper movement - it feels like a rubber band and the pedal will fling forward! Also, the car won't fully follow through with the shift unless I apply a lot of pressure to the pedal. I have cleaned the throttle body, replaced the cable. Could this be a fuel pump/fuel regulator problem? I have had plenty of diagnostic tests done but no codes have shown up. It is an intermittent problem but is occurring regularly. The ride is crappy and i want to get it fixed. Did anyone experience anything like this? If so or you have any ideas, please advise! If you are confused, take it for a drive - and tell me what you think. Any philly , NJ , max owners - let me know if you have time to test drive it. Anyone else, your ideas are welcome. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:04 PM
DoGGy

ahh, that vibration is bad, i feel it too

Old 10-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Pizda Boy

Originally Posted by Maximeyez
Check to see if you have any bent edges on the cable guides. Usually this problems is fixed after putting on a new cable or throttle body. The only thing that could be doing it is a bent edge someplace on the cable guide that would keep the cable from returning to it's normal tension position. If that is the case try to bend it back, file it down if it is a sharp edge, or replace the guides. I am in Bergen County. If you want me to take a look at it let me know. Good luck.
i'm in bergen county, can you check mine out???
i'm just gonna try to clean the TB first tomorrow. . . and if i still have a problem, can you look at it?
Old 10-18-2003, 05:14 PM

Help take a Look

Originally Posted by Maximeyez

Hey,

Yes, I would definitely like you to take a look at it and help me out. I am in Philly and will travel to you. Send me an email to set up a time. My email is ant0564@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Anthony
[Nismax615]
Old 09-03-2005, 10:44 PM

did you guys ever get this problem fixed?
Old 09-03-2005, 11:34 PM

i got used to mine. just assuming its the coils since im a 99
Old 09-04-2005, 11:22 AM

what about us 97-98's? i just hate that it's not constant for me. it comes and goes....usually worse when its cold out.