4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

bodywork to be done soon: Chrome Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 07:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

bodywork to be done soon: Chrome Door Handles

I'm getting the bodywork done soon and would like your opinions. I have a Dark Green GLE and considered painting the door handles to the body color and leave the chrome edging around the windows intact.

It would look similar to what bmw, lexus and toyota cars have with the body colored handles. Alternatively, it would look like an SE with Chrome around the windows.

Do you think it would look good?
Old 09-17-2003, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by maxNYC
I'm getting the bodywork done soon and would like your opinions. I have a Dark Green GLE and considered painting the door handles to the body color. I would leave the chrome edging around the windows intact.

Sort of has a bmw, lexus look with the body colored handles. Basically would look like an SE with Chrome around the windows.

Do you think it would look good?
I have a indecisive opinion about the chrome... It looks good on some max's the way they have it and sometimes it looks like crap.... All depends on your setup... Personally I think neptune blue looks real good with the chrome trimmings... But white w/ chrome wouldn't look good to me... etc... Its all a matter of preference...

For the body colored door handles and window triming look at a mazda 626... Thats how they are... It wouldn't look too bad... But If I was gonna do it I would get rid of all the chrome at once :P
Old 09-17-2003, 07:49 AM

Yeah, i thought about it as well, but the chrome around the windows are a bit of a pain to take off to prep for painting.

Other cars have the chrome on the windows and it doesnt look bad IMHO. I never really liked the chrome door handles and would agree, they look like *** depending on the color of the car.

Thanks for your input. its appreciated. Im getting a stillen lip and ionic sideskirts and rear valances installed as well... possibly a rear spoiler... (undecided as of yet.) the 95 sort of has a breadbox trunk which i'm not too fond of either.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:31 PM

Other product available

Originally Posted by maxNYC
Yeah, i thought about it as well, but the chrome around the windows are a bit of a pain to take off to prep for painting.

Other cars have the chrome on the windows and it doesnt look bad IMHO. I never really liked the chrome door handles and would agree, they look like *** depending on the color of the car.

Thanks for your input. its appreciated. Im getting a stillen lip and ionic sideskirts and rear valances installed as well... possibly a rear spoiler... (undecided as of yet.) the 95 sort of has a breadbox trunk which i'm not too fond of either.
I am in the same dilemna sort of...

I used a product called TrimBrite tape to black out the chrome around the windows with the handles still being chrome. I think I am going to paint the handles a gunmetal color to match the rims....

Big Cracker
Old 09-18-2003, 04:26 AM

thats not a bad idea dlicari.
thanks!
Old 09-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

normally, excessive chrome looks cheap (to me, anyway)... but for some reason I like the way the chrome door handles look on my car. it doesn't mesh well with some colors though, I guess.

all a matter of taste, do whatever you think looks good.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by dlicari
I am in the same dilemna sort of...

I used a product called TrimBrite tape to black out the chrome around the windows with the handles still being chrome. I think I am going to paint the handles a gunmetal color to match the rims....

Big Cracker

dilcari, I went to both autozone and pepboys looking for this stuff to do my trim around the windows. Both places looked at me and said there is no such thing. All i could find in the stores was black pinstriping in different sizes? Can you buy this stuff online or something? thanks.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:01 PM

They are clueless

Originally Posted by ILoveMyMax
dilcari, I went to both autozone and pepboys looking for this stuff to do my trim around the windows. Both places looked at me and said there is no such thing. All i could find in the stores was black pinstriping in different sizes? Can you buy this stuff online or something? thanks.

I purchased mine at Advanced Auto Parts........it is called TrimBrite and sells for like $3 a roll. You will need 4 rolls to do it right.

Good luck!

Big Cracker
Old 09-18-2003, 04:41 PM

yeah, dont get that thing called "electrical tape"...

its not the same