4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Variable assist power steering??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Variable assist power steering??

Did any of the 4th gen Maximas come with variable assist power steering? If not, what about the 95-99 Infiniti I30?

I have a 95 GXE and I would like to firm up the steering weight. If reasonably possible, I would like to retrofit the variable assist parts to my car.

I have a UDP installed on my car. It has made virtually no difference in the weight of the steering even though the steering pump is being underdriven.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I thought all Maximas were varialbe assist.

All I know is that when i drive my friend's I30, it's like driving a caddilac. The steering is full-power and WAY too loose compared to my Max.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:32 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Nissan made changes to the steering system in 99. It's nice and tight all around in my car.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by iansw
I thought all Maximas were varialbe assist.

All I know is that when i drive my friend's I30, it's like driving a caddilac. The steering is full-power and WAY too loose compared to my Max.

That is strange if it is true. Because if my car is variable assist, I can't tell the difference. Steering seems equally light whether I am driving slow or on the highway.

The service manual that I have makes no mention of the phrase "variable assist" or anything to that effect.

There is an exploded view diagram of the power steering pump in the service manual. It shows a spring loaded control valve on the pump housing. The diagram doesn't show the fluid hoses but I would guess the valve is suppose to regulate the steering hydraulic boost by letting some of the flow go into a bypass loop. So that to me sounds like "Engine Speed Sensitive" steering.

That being said, my power steering doesn't seem so "speed sensitive".
With the exception of a Cadillac Deville I once rented, virtually any other car I have driven has noticeably tighter steering...
Old 09-19-2003, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Nissan made changes to the steering system in 99. It's nice and tight all around in my car.

That is interesting. What sort of changes do the 1999 models have?
Old 09-20-2003, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by chris j vurnis
That is strange if it is true. Because if my car is variable assist, I can't tell the difference. Steering seems equally light whether I am driving slow or on the highway.
It's BECAUSE of the variable assist that you don't feel a difference in is steering effort. The PS pump is being driven at different speeds at different rpms. Therefore steering effort would get lighter and lighter with higher rpms. It's the variable assist that keeps the effort constant at all RPMs.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kushane
It's BECAUSE of the variable assist that you don't feel a difference in is steering effort. The PS pump is being driven at different speeds at different rpms. Therefore steering effort would get lighter and lighter with higher rpms. It's the variable assist that keeps the effort constant at all RPMs.
Steering always gets lighter and lighter the faster you go.

Ever drive a rack and pinion steering car? no power steering, but the higher the RPM, the easier the steering. It's not because you're at higher RPM, it's because you're going faster.

I think your theory is flawed.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by iansw
Steering always gets lighter and lighter the faster you go.

Ever drive a rack and pinion steering car? no power steering, but the higher the RPM, the easier the steering. It's not because you're at higher RPM, it's because you're going faster.

I think your theory is flawed.
I stand corrected. However - the same principal applies. The fact that the Maxima Steering does not get lighter the faster you go means the variable assist is doing its job correct?
Old 09-20-2003, 12:02 PM

The Maxima power steering is engine speed sensitive. More assist at lower engine speed.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:49 PM

Well, I am going to take my power steering thread and convert it to a tire review as the info seems relevant.

I just installed some new tires a few days ago and I am more satisfied with how the car steers.

I had been using Bridgestone tires for over a couple years. Decided to switch to Dunlops. I had a set of SP9000s installed.

Comparing to the S-O3PP tires, the Dunlops definitely have a bit more comfort. They appear very stiff in the bead and tread shoulder area while being more compliant in the middle of the sidewall. They are firm on the smaller bumps but take up more of the impact on the larger bumps compared to the Bridgestone S-O3s.

On the first drive home, I noticed that the steering response was a lot more precise and sharp compared to the Bridgestones. There is noticeably a lot less slack on center yet the steering is not twitchy.

While still feeling light, the steering weight seems a little heavier in comparison to the S-O3s. In a hard turn, I am finding that the Dunlops have a lot of composure and that they don't get all squishy.

With the Dunlops, it seems I have a very mild amount of road feel (although nothing sports car like) in the steering wheel vs. being completely numb with the Bridgestones.

On concrete, road noise seems the same but the Dunlops seem quieter on asphalt compared to the S-O3s.

The next morning after getting them installed, I decided to check the inflation pressure since I didn't tell the shop any specific pressure that I wanted. Looking at the sidewall near the ground, I noticed that there was almost no buldge from the weight.

To my surprise, they were inflated over 40PSI cold. Whenever I put my S-O3s to that pressure, they would deliver some better handling but at the expense of a much harsher ride with looser and more twitchy steering.

My old S-O3s had an 8" tread width mounted on 16x7" wheels. My Dunlops have a 7.25" tread width mounted on the same wheels. I guess the Dunlops fit my wheels more closely so that might be a reason for the performance difference. I am using the same size which is 215-55-16.

So in conclusion, I like my new Dunlops and I will stop complaining about my power steering -- at least for now.