4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My rack has some problems (VIDS and PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My rack has some problems (VIDS and PICS)

OK so here is the story.
Ever since I lower my car My alignment hasn't been perfect. The thing is that I took my car to the shop after I installed my springs and struts. After I drove my car from the shop I notice the alignment still wasn't correct even know the computer numbers said it was. So they did some tweaking and notice that the two bushings underneath the brackets that hold the rack had to be replaced. I was like WTF but it was just fine before I mess with it. Any way checked the car for lose parts and didn't find anything wrong so I just kept driving my car. But the problem is that when I turn right my steering wheel will tilt to the right when I go on a straight road. Just like if the car needed the alignment but it doesn't pull at all. When I turn to the left after making a right the steering wheel will just fix it self and look perfect, but if Its on that perfect state and make a left it will then tilt to the left
I was kinda scared at first to drive the car but after more inspections I thought it was safe, and I think it is still safe.
So here is the real questions. does the rack supposed to move when you turn the steering wheel. I think the bushings are there to stop it from moving. I shot these 2 videos while my bro was turning the steering wheel all the way to the left then right. Notice how the whole rack assembly moves. There is also some pics of the bushing it's noticeable from simple view. There is another one closer to the Y pipe
Look at this pics and Vids. Let me know whey you think and if you know a way to repair it. Thanks

Video1
Video2
Pic1
Pic2
Old 09-24-2003, 10:14 PM

hmm any ideas?
Old 09-25-2003, 07:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My buddy hit a cinder block (OUCH) and it actually moved the rack over in it's bushings. The guy I use to align my car told me he's seen a few cars do the same thing. What your describing sounds like your rack is indeed moving within those bushings. There probably just lose enough that the rack creeps slightly when force is applied.

I'd definately get new bushings from Nissan and change them so your rack is held in place nice and tight. It might not be such a hard job if the bushings are split. If there a solid piece, you might have to remove the rack to slip them on.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
My buddy hit a cinder block (OUCH) and it actually moved the rack over in it's bushings. The guy I use to align my car told me he's seen a few cars do the same thing. What your describing sounds like your rack is indeed moving within those bushings. There probably just lose enough that the rack creeps slightly when force is applied.

I'd definately get new bushings from Nissan and change them so your rack is held in place nice and tight. It might not be such a hard job if the bushings are split. If there a solid piece, you might have to remove the rack to slip them on.

Thanks for the tip man. I do hope the bushings are split it will make the job so much easier.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:59 AM

umph was thinking the word rack meant something else. lol.