4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 02:35 PM

Air Intakes

Im planing to purchase a air intake for my 96 gxe maxima from ebay. I found 2 that im thinking of buying but im not sure which one is better. I thinking they are the same considering that both of them are warm air intakes. Please go to website 1,2 and tell me what yalls opinion on the intakes are.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2436490726

or

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2435646005

Can yall please tell which one is better for me to buy 1 or 2?

Thank you
Old 10-08-2003, 02:46 PM
ivelweyz

Hacked stock intake is THE BEST...

Old 10-08-2003, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
Hacked stock intake is THE BEST...

why is that?
Old 10-08-2003, 03:09 PM
ivelweyz

with all the aftermarket intakes you lose low end power. Some will say you don't but they're in denial. Search for hacked stock air box and do that...

Old 10-08-2003, 03:24 PM

i prefer a intake system instead of a hacked one, but thats just me...What do yall think, which one should i get link 1 or link 2?
Old 10-08-2003, 04:03 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Originally Posted by MaxAttack
i prefer a intake system instead of a hacked one, but thats just me...What do yall think, which one should i get link 1 or link 2?
they're both garbage, hence the low price. K&N "style" filter? its like eating your food from the floor - u dont do that do u? that thing wouldnt filter anything. the rest of the parts are just as bad. for the filtering element, if you're insisting on it, stillen or JWT would be the best (get it used in the forums here, u will save a lot of $). an appropriate K&N would be very good as well, just find the specs for it somewhere on the forums here, or ask for it. replacing the "accordeon" section (the one between the throttle body and air filter) is highly debatable here, but if you choose to do so, www.frankencar.com is the way to go.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:46 PM

are u auto or manual? CAI is Best for autos, since u don't loose the low end. If your 5spd... the one from frankencar is great. Personaly.. i like my Place Racing with the stock resenator installed. And yeah, im 5spd.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by SuperFishstick
are u auto or manual? CAI is Best for autos, since u don't loose the low end. If your 5spd... the one from frankencar is great. Personaly.. i like my Place Racing with the stock resenator installed. And yeah, im 5spd.
yeah i am a 5spd....I was thinking off getting a JWT but that is $100 out of my pocket and im kinda on a budget right now...Why is JWT better than the other air intakes that i posted about...They both come with the exact thing, and if im not mistaking JWT uses a K&N filter..
Old 10-08-2003, 07:48 PM
ivelweyz

Originally Posted by MaxAttack
Why do you prefer an intake system instead of the better stock one that doesn't cost a thing. Apparently you're only after the sound which a hacked one also gives you. If you're on a budget get it hacked and if you don't like it buy an aftermarket one. After that you'll realize I was right and you'll go back to the hacked box. Wish I had kept mine...

Old 10-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just went back to my stock intake with a K&N filter. I love my car being quiet again. The JWT pop charger I had was just too loud for me, maybe I'm just getting older, it's in one of my closets now.

I honestly cannot tell any big difference between the two, the only thing that I think I've noticed is my car having a little more oomph at the bottom end with the stock/K&N setup.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:54 PM

both suck. they dont come with the maf adaptor. make sure if you buy an ebay kit, it comes with a maf adaptor. hacked air box works well. i like it. but have an ebay kit right now. its ok.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:47 AM

would you guys suggest getting the custom maxima Weapon R air intake? To me the ebay intakes and the ones on custommaxima each have the same components so they should do the same thing. What's the difference? What if i were to get an ebay intake and put a better filter on it? Or should i just get the one on CustomMaxima? Let me know? Truthfully, i'm really looking for the sound not as much performance, and i am looking for the cheapest way to do it, without messing up my stock intake. Let me know.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
I just went back to my stock intake with a K&N filter. I love my car being quiet again. The JWT pop charger I had was just too loud for me, maybe I'm just getting older, it's in one of my closets now.
Hey are you willing to sell your old JWT?
Old 10-09-2003, 02:32 PM

i already pmed him first dibbs..if i dont get it you are next. i think he is only selling the filter.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by hollaatchaboi
would you guys suggest getting the custom maxima Weapon R air intake? To me the ebay intakes and the ones on custommaxima each have the same components so they should do the same thing. What's the difference? What if i were to get an ebay intake and put a better filter on it? Or should i just get the one on CustomMaxima? Let me know? Truthfully, i'm really looking for the sound not as much performance, and i am looking for the cheapest way to do it, without messing up my stock intake. Let me know.

Can anyone help me?
Old 10-09-2003, 08:19 PM

Do yall think it will be a good idea to buy that ebay intake and just change the filter or to yall recommend buying a JWT?...JWT will be more expensive but, wont it perform/sound the same as ebay intake with different filter?
Old 10-09-2003, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by hollaatchaboi
Can anyone help me?
I am planning on getting a Weapon-R intake. I'm in Calif and with the visual inspection for the smog test, you won't pass unless you have a CARB sticker. Weapon-R for the Max is CARB approved.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by MadmanMax
I am planning on getting a Weapon-R intake. I'm in Calif and with the visual inspection for the smog test, you won't pass unless you have a CARB sticker. Weapon-R for the Max is CARB approved.

The Jim Wolf intake is also CARB approved. I just never got to getting the sticker. I fogot to ask for it the last time I was there.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:13 PM

The Jim Wolf intake is also CARB approved. I just never got to getting the sticker. I fogot to ask for it the last time I was there.
I have a Franken intake right now, and it's not CARB approved.

I had to get a smog check this year, so I go in thinking "Maybe they won't notice..." So I get there and while I'm waiting some guy that brought in a Mustang was told "You passed the emissions test, but failed the visual inspection." He had an aftermarket throttle body, and something else I don't remember. So I say "uhhh, I gotta go, gimme my keys."

I had to reinstall the stock intake box and go back to get the smog!
Old 10-09-2003, 10:14 PM

that sucks.. why does a visual count as long as you pass..
Old 10-10-2003, 03:39 PM

bump.......
Old 10-10-2003, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by MadmanMax
I have a Franken intake right now, and it's not CARB approved.

I had to get a smog check this year, so I go in thinking "Maybe they won't notice..." So I get there and while I'm waiting some guy that brought in a Mustang was told "You passed the emissions test, but failed the visual inspection." He had an aftermarket throttle body, and something else I don't remember. So I say "uhhh, I gotta go, gimme my keys."

I had to reinstall the stock intake box and go back to get the smog!

Do you have the JWT filter? I was told by a guy named Jim at JWT that it was now CARB approved.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:59 PM

Do you have the JWT filter? I was told by a guy named Jim at JWT that it was now CARB approved.
No, I have the Monster Flow. But I don't think it'd matter anyway since I also have the Franken mid-pipe. The guys at the smog shop knew what they were doing, especially since they picked out the mustang's throttle body.

It doesn't matter - I'm getting a Weapon-R. I asked them if it was CARB approved and they replied in an email that it was. I also like the way the Weapon-R is curved a little. It looks like it fits behind the battery better.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:12 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
Why do you prefer an intake system instead of the better stock one that doesn't cost a thing. Apparently you're only after the sound which a hacked one also gives you. If you're on a budget get it hacked and if you don't like it buy an aftermarket one. After that you'll realize I was right and you'll go back to the hacked box. Wish I had kept mine...
im not disagreeing, i just dont understand all the benefits of a hacked air box, and why its better than an aftermarket intake. any info would be appreciated