4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gonna replace struts/shox - what else should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001, 07:33 AM

I'm convinced that I should go ahead and replace all 4 struts/shox on my 95 (110k miles) before replacing all 4 tires and getting it aligned. You guys have also persuaded me to replace the bearings in the top strut mount. What else should I take care of while I've got the thing apart?

I spoke to Summit Racing this morning and they can get me 4 KYB/GR2 units for the car for $220. They also can order the strut bearings for about $35 for the set. All the other wear stuff (like the insulators for the top strut mounts) are 'dealer' items, they say. Where should I go to shop for that stuff? My local dealer?

Thanks again for all the help. I know my questions are elementary stuff for most of you, but I'm just learning about these cars.
Old 02-19-2001, 10:08 AM

That's a great price on the KYB's; I think I paid like 280 bux.

When I got the KYB's from Summit along with the isolators, the isolators included the strut bearings, don't know if it was supposed to or not. The bearings that I received looked a tad inferior to the OEM ones which I took out. I'd suggest you get a quote from Courtesey Nissan and Keene Nissan on the other parts including the bearings and go OEM with the accessories, there's not much of a difference in price, I think I was quoted 22 bux each for the bearings, which is list I think by the local dealer who only sells at list.

Courtesy Nissan: http://www.courtesyparts.com/

Keene Nissan: jason@nissanofkeene.com

Also, while you're at it might want to change the plugs and fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently.

Old 02-19-2001, 10:57 AM
Keven97SE

Some other things you should do at that time ->

mrgem, some other things I think you should do since your car has that many miles are:
- replace all 4 dust boots. These are the "accordian" rubber pieces that protect the steel piston rod of the struts. Mine were trashed after only 70K miles...I mean ripped, etc. Any tears will let dirt onto the rod and prematurely wear the strut. The front boots also I think require the purchase of separate bump stop inserts that go inside. The rear boots have the bump stop molded in. Might as well replace the bump stop while you're at it.
- Replace all 4 insulators (as Nissan calls them). They look like gaskets that sit between the strut mounts and the chassis, and help eliminate annoying squeak/groaning sounds

All these little items add up to quite a bit, unfortunately...well over $100, but you should do them. I go through Courtesy for the best prices. Tell them you're with the maxima.org club and get a 25% discount. The parts dept number is 800-527-1909 or 972-644-3942.

Old 02-19-2001, 12:13 PM

So

basically what your guys are saying everything that is rubber on the front suspension should be change?
Old 02-19-2001, 12:43 PM

Heres what I suggest: 4 struts, 2 front isolators (the rear doesn't use them,) 2 front bearings, again not used on the rears, 4 boots, the front boots on mine had a captive bump stop built into it, there was no other bump stop, in the manual it shows two different designs, since yours is the same as mine, it's probably like mine, 2 rear bump stops, mine didn't need replacing at 60K - yours might, should be inexpensive enough though; there is a piece of molded rubber which goes on top of the spring and under the top strut housing, this should not need replacing, it doesn't move around or wear as far as I could see. There are also thin gaskets that go between the strut isolator on the front and the strut tower, mine were a bit outa shape but I just kept em; the 2 on the back were also a bit outa shape but I didn't change them. You could go either way on this part. As long as you've got the basic part intact it's just a gasket to keep from metal to metal contact so you decide; shouldn't cost alot.

That's it.
Old 02-19-2001, 11:31 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

You can get new dust boots for $5 each at about any off road store, just cut the bumstops out of your OEM ones to use and you can make the aftermarket ones fit nice. I'm doing this on my car. Plus these boots look a lot tougher like they will last.