4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Intake Temp Sensor affects gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 08:55 AM

Intake Temp Sensor affects gas mileage?

It did for me, I had a check engine light on for a few months cause my air intake sensor that i zip tied to the intake cracked. Now I have been getting good mileage cause i have the UR flywheel and definitive UDP but now its even better. From the moment I have changed the sensor I went from 120 miles in the first quarter tank to 140 sometimes and at least 200 at half a tank (depends on how I drive the car). Its very weird but I have no other explaination. the night I changed the sensor I started getting better gas mileage, nothing else different. Is this normal?
Old 10-23-2003, 09:11 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by 96max5sp
the night I changed the sensor I started getting better gas mileage, nothing else different. Is this normal?
The ECU uses the air intake sensor to read incoming air temp. If the sensor is bad and/or is in the stream of hot air, it may make the motor divert to preset rich fuel map (poor performance) to reduce detonation. Many will say the air temp sensor does nothing because Nissan says it's used for "diagnostic purposes". Ummmm....diagnostic purposes means the ECU is using the sensor to adjust parameters

Last week I was changing out my intakes and the wires going into the base of the air temp sensor completely sheared off. It must have been age because the wires weren't stressed when they were used on any of my the intakes. It may be possible that the wires had been pretty much severed inside the wire jacket and just a little force ended up breaking the wire jacket. I did a little soldering and silcone work and got the sensor fixed. Everything seems fine now.

Dave
Old 10-23-2003, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
The ECU uses the air intake sensor to read incoming air temp. If the sensor is bad and/or is in the stream of hot air, it may make the motor divert to preset rich fuel map (poor performance) to reduce detonation. Many will say the air temp sensor does nothing because Nissan says it's used for "diagnostic purposes". Ummmm....diagnostic purposes means the ECU is using the sensor to adjust parameters

Last week I was changing out my intakes and the wires going into the base of the air temp sensor completely sheared off. It must have been age because the wires weren't stressed when they were used on any of my the intakes. It may be possible that the wires had been pretty much severed inside the wire jacket and just a little force ended up breaking the wire jacket. I did a little soldering and silcone work and got the sensor fixed. Everything seems fine now.

Dave
Well I guess this is proof then that it does do something
Thanks
Old 10-23-2003, 10:33 AM
Jedi Knight

well seems like I've got to hook mine up this weekend, I'm getting pretty good mileage ~ 350-370 per tank, it would totally rock if this gets better as I'm going on a road trip come Sunday/Monday.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:42 PM

Dave
Exactly......this is why i am going to make a mount for mine on my custom midpipe i am about to build for my hybrid intake.......
I might just make a better cone filter mount for the MAF and mount it there, or......maybe make a cold air pass thru setup, and mount it there. Of course, if one were to take the time, solder, and the wire, you could just relocate it to the front grille.

just my 2¢
Old 10-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here is what the FSM for my 95 says concerning the IAT sensor, page EC-154: "This sensor is not directly used to control the engine system. It is used only for the on-board diagnosis."

PAge EC-17 shows a diagram that lists the inputs the ECU uses to control fuel injector pulse:

crankshaft position sensor
mass air flow sensor
engine coolant temperature sensor
throttle position sensor
vehicle speed sensor
ignition switch
knock sensor
neutral position/inhibitor switch
battery

Draw your own conclusions.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Here is what the FSM for my 95 says concerning the IAT sensor, page EC-154: "This sensor is not directly used to control the engine system. It is used only for the on-board diagnosis."

PAge EC-17 shows a diagram that lists the inputs the ECU uses to control fuel injector pulse:

crankshaft position sensor
mass air flow sensor
engine coolant temperature sensor
throttle position sensor
vehicle speed sensor
ignition switch
knock sensor
neutral position/inhibitor switch
battery

Draw your own conclusions.
thanks dave,

i got raped in a thread i started about this once..." i guess the guys who built the car don't know what they are talking about"(FSM). I gave up after trying to argue my point with 20 people who know everything.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:36 PM

it does affect mileage, even those BS resistor things they sell on Ebay messes it up.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maximum96
it does affect mileage, even those BS resistor things they sell on Ebay messes it up.
Well! That settles it then.

You sure those resistors aren't for the coolant temp sensor? Because that would definitely affect mpg. That is actually a trick left over from the early fuel injected Chevy people who would bypass the coolant temp sensor with a resistor to get the engine to run richer at the track.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:15 PM

My hanes says ECU uses IAT to fine tune A/F ratio, which makes sense.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:43 PM
be the change u want2C

Man you guys are luky, I have a bad coil so I only get like 150-210 to the full tank!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 10:46 PM
ivelweyz

Originally Posted by LastBoyScout
Exactly......this is why i am going to make a mount for mine on my custom midpipe i am about to build for my hybrid intake.......
I might just make a better cone filter mount for the MAF and mount it there, or......maybe make a cold air pass thru setup, and mount it there. Of course, if one were to take the time, solder, and the wire, you could just relocate it to the front grille.

just my 2¢
I already did that. Rode with it for a while and then realized that when it rains the sensor gets drenched every time...

Old 12-04-2003, 09:59 PM
Conecarver

Just ran across this thread.

Ok, so cooler intake air doesn't directly change the amount of fuel being sprayed. But cold air is denser and performance does increase dramatically when it's 30deg vs 80deg out.

Why?