4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bad Alternator....My letter to Nissan.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 09:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bad Alternator....My letter to Nissan.

Hello Nissan Customer Service!

I've already contacted your 800 number about the problem with the alternator on my car (VIN# J). I'm writing you to express my displeasure that Nissan will offer no help in the replacement of the failed alternator on my Maxima. This is the 2nd instance with problem part on this car, that seems to be a little more than a simple failure.

I had to have the sunroof assembly replaced approximately 2 years ago and later found out (through www.maxima.org & alt.autos.nissan.maxima) that this seems to be a common occurrence with factory Maxima sunroofs. I was quoted $1300+ from my dealer for replacing the sunroof assembly (Shamrock Nissan, Mishawaka, IN) eventually they got it down to $600+, but I had to make 2 trips back to them to fix the headliner that they screwed up! To top things off, I later found out that the whole assembly did not need to be replaced. Apparently Nissan makes a repair kit for approximately $50 to fix the sunroof (http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=132724), this tells me that they know they have a problem!

Now I am faced with another repair bill in the neighborhood of $500 for an alternator that Nissan will not acknowledge under the recall. Apparently my car was manufactured 16 days before the recall date begins, and Nissan is confident that my alternator is not one of the defective alternators installed on their cars between Feb. 1997 and 1998. Thank you for your great customer service! If fact, I appreciate so much that I very much look forward to purchasing a new Honda or Toyota automobile in the future.

Sincerely,
Joe
Old 10-23-2003, 09:58 AM
Administrator

its not wise to post your VIN on a public forum
Old 10-23-2003, 10:00 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SprintMax
Maybe edit it for him?

Joe - well written letter. I think it makes your point well, however I would highly doubt that Nissan would do anything about your situation. Sucks.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:02 AM
I'm needing a caw

$500 is really too steep for a replacement alternator. Maybe from a Nissan dealer that specializes in the reaming option. I mean really, your car is almost 7 years old. Stuff happens you know? Go to your trusted local quality parts store and buy a good aftermarket unit and replace it yourself. Nice easy 1st DIY repair.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:08 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
$500 is really too steep for a replacement alternator. Maybe from a Nissan dealer that specializes in the reaming option. I mean really, your car is almost 7 years old. Stuff happens you know? Go to your trusted local quality parts store and buy a good aftermarket unit and replace it yourself. Nice easy 1st DIY repair.
Nissan quoted me over $400 for just an alternator, no labor. I guess they don't do re-man'ed ones, just new factory alternators.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:18 AM
I'm needing a caw

Screw that. Nissan doesn't even MAKE their alternators. Just find a supplier that stocks the same OEM company. It's listed right on the unit. ie..Hitachi, etc.....

Originally Posted by ejj
Nissan quoted me over $400 for just an alternator, no labor. I guess they don't do re-man'ed ones, just new factory alternators.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

this is another reason why toyota and hondas rule the import scene
Old 10-23-2003, 10:21 AM

Up here in Canada it was a remanufactured unit at Waterloo Nissan. Cost was 440 Canadian (I installed myself). I'm pretty sure mine died in the exact same way as those under the recall as well, but no dice.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:23 AM
I'm needing a caw

Pardon me but what the hell are you talking about?

Originally Posted by wariow
this is another reason why toyota and hondas rule the import scene
Old 10-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SprintMax
Thanks! Made the change.....
Old 10-23-2003, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by davey6693
Up here in Canada it was a remanufactured unit at Waterloo Nissan. Cost was 440 Canadian (I installed myself). I'm pretty sure mine died in the exact same way as those under the recall as well, but no dice.

The alternators that fall under the recall aren't being recalled and replaced because of failure or possible failure. They are being recalled because of the possibility of them starting on fire. Recalls are only for safety issues. Poor manufacturing is what the warrany is for. Warranties are for defective manufacturing and will be covered as long as you have a warranty, recalls are covered forever, for whoever has the car because they are safety related. It sucks, but that's the way it is.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by techie
The alternators that fall under the recall aren't being recalled and replaced because of failure or possible failure. They are being recalled because of the possibility of them starting on fire. Recalls are only for safety issues. Poor manufacturing is what the warrany is for. Warranties are for defective manufacturing and will be covered as long as you have a warranty, recalls are covered forever, for whoever has the car because they are safety related. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

I believe the failure on mine is similar to the ones being recalled. On at least 2 occassions (just this past weekend was the last) I've noticed a burning smell from under the hood, accompanied by the "whirrling" noise of the alternator. Had the alternator check, it was not charging and now my battery is dead.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by techie
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. Mine was red-hot and smelled strongly of something burning, but whether it would have actually ignited, didn't wait to find out.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:45 PM

Well, the other thing to look at is what is the life expectancy of an OEM alternator. Mine lasted 6 years before it died. My second alternator lasted a year but it wasn't OEM. I think 6 years is a good amount of time for an alternator to be in service.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:53 PM

that sucks man.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Nissan is confident that my alternator is not one of the defective alternators installed on their cars
If your alternator was replaced once already then you don't have the recalled unit in your car anymore. Nissan is correct in refusing your claim. You gave them the fact that yours was replaced already right in your letter.

This is the 2nd instance with problem part on this car, that seems to be a little more than a simple failure.
Your roof failed, but like somebody else said, your car is 7 years old. Some things are eventually going to happen. It's not a common failure, actually it's rare we hear about sunroof failures on the org. What would you like the dealer to do, warranty the whole car forever?

Sucks, but sometime you just gotta fix things.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
If your alternator was replaced once already then you don't have the recalled unit in your car anymore. Nissan is correct in refusing your claim.
Sorry but there's your brick wall.

Your roof failed, but like somebody else said, your car is 7 years old. Some things are eventually going to happen. It's not a common failure, actually it's rare we hear about sunroof failures on the org. What would you like the dealer to do, warranty the whole car forever?

Sucks, but sometime you just gotta fix things.

my sunroof wokrs like new, no probs at all
Old 10-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kevlo911

my sunroof wokrs like new, no probs at all
My alternator has never been replaced, its original. There is a recall for alternator from 02/13/97 to **/**/98, because of alternator failures with a potential of fires. My car was built 1/29/97 (16 days earlier), and the alternator has quit working and smells as if it is burning.

The problem with the sunroof is I get wacked for 600+ for new sunroof assembly when they knowingly have a $50 rebuild kit available.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by boever
The problem with the sunroof is I get wacked for 600+ for new sunroof assembly when they knowingly have a $50 rebuild kit available.

The lesson learned here is : utilize the vast information avialable on.org
before you go out and let dealer take your money.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:46 PM

Used car = money to fix.

I've got stuff I got to fix too ... sunroof not level, front wheel bearings (I think), etc.

Had CV boot replaced just 2 months ago.

**** happens, car is old.