4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A few issues with new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 12:05 PM

A few issues with new clutch

I just got an ACT stage 3 clutch installed in my 99 maxima se a few monhs ago and it ran perfect. Recently i have been having certain periods of time in which the car will not go into 1st or it pops out then as i try again it grinds and then goes into gear(this is all with the clutch all the way to the floor) and then switching to second it is like i am pulling it out of first with no clutch even with it buried to the ground. I have a feeling it is my slave cylinder or the fact that i may need some tranny fluid i do not know can someone who has had this happen help me out! it kinda sucks.

And secondly what is the best suspension kit to go with or suspension combination to go with to make my maxima handle like a porche or somewhat close????
Old 10-24-2003, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by SiCkBLaCKMaX99
I just got an ACT stage 3 clutch installed in my 99 maxima se a few monhs ago and it ran perfect. Recently i have been having certain periods of time in which the car will not go into 1st or it pops out then as i try again it grinds and then goes into gear(this is all with the clutch all the way to the floor) and then switching to second it is like i am pulling it out of first with no clutch even with it buried to the ground. I have a feeling it is my slave cylinder or the fact that i may need some tranny fluid i do not know can someone who has had this happen help me out! it kinda sucks.

Look at the resovoir of clutch pedal fluid. It right near the firewall, close to the steering column. If its below the low marker, you've got a leaking hose or a bum slave cylinder. I did a writeup on how to change slave cylinder hose on www.vqpower.com (or click the how-to faq uptop). This would cause the clutch to not engage where it should.

It could also be your trans fluid being low. Check for play where the driverside axel enters the tranny. If you notice a lot of play, and even more trans fluid, then you have the lovely shimed wrong by Nissan issue, and probably a lot of your fluid has dripped out. I had this happen to me a few weeks ago - I bought some Redline MT-90, flushed and refilled; the shifts are back to normal, especially when the car is cold. Pulling out of first was just as you said - like I didn't have the clutch down.

And secondly what is the best suspension kit to go with or suspension combination to go with to make my maxima handle like a porche or somewhat close????
Buy a Porsche.

A cheaper option would be Eibach springs with KYB AGX shocks + front and rear sway bars. You'd get good handling, but remember that you're race car is really just a 4 door family car (with *****).