4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

sound of a failing tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 05:40 AM

sound of a failing tranny?

just curious if someone could help identify this noise my car is making... when i'm taking off in 1st... driving slowly... i can hear this noise... its hard to describe.... kind of a whirling sound (for a lack of a better noise)... and sometimes i hear a poping sound associated with it as well. and i can hear this noise in 2nd sometimes... but i'm guessing it is drowned out in higher gears. weird thing is that i don't hear it in reverse. i could this be a sign of the drive bearings failing? don't know if it matters, but i've got 94k on the car. thanks for any help.

-jon
Old 10-28-2003, 06:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

Need more info, you 5spd right?
Old 10-28-2003, 06:35 AM
Banned

funny my 95se 5 speed does the same thing as you discribe, i just tak eit as being the normal gear whirl in manual transmissions, my reverse does it too but the gear is not as low as 1st so you hear it when the rpms are higher (backing up at 30mph) i get a clunk but i figure that is the loose linkage once in a while, i have mobil one synthetic gear oil in my tranny..... blah blah blah
Old 10-28-2003, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by brizsblackmax
funny my 95se 5 speed does the same thing as you discribe, i just tak eit as being the normal gear whirl in manual transmissions, my reverse does it too but the gear is not as low as 1st so you hear it when the rpms are higher (backing up at 30mph) i get a clunk but i figure that is the loose linkage once in a while, i have mobil one synthetic gear oil in my tranny..... blah blah blah
That clunk you hear could be a diffective wheel bearing. Jack up both front wheels and shake each wheel vertically and horizontally, if you feel any play while shaking it vertically most likely its your wheel bearing. if yor feel any play while shaking it horizontally it could be a worn tie rod, if you feel play when shaking the wheel in all directions its your wheel bearing.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by brizsblackmax
reverse will always make that noise due to the non helical straight cut gear.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:51 AM

how can you tell if your clutch is dying?
Old 10-28-2003, 12:53 PM

do trans-sexuals make noises when they fail??

oh...transmission.....a failing transmission sounds alot like gears grinding a spinning and slippings since that is what they are doing.....

and sometimes you get that nice clunking noise......

stop asking silly questions and take it in.....if you cant, stop driving it.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by JMAXIMA
just curious if someone could help identify this noise my car is making... when i'm taking off in 1st... driving slowly... i can hear this noise... its hard to describe.... kind of a whirling sound (for a lack of a better noise)... and sometimes i hear a poping sound associated with it as well. and i can hear this noise in 2nd sometimes... but i'm guessing it is drowned out in higher gears. weird thing is that i don't hear it in reverse. i could this be a sign of the drive bearings failing? don't know if it matters, but i've got 94k on the car. thanks for any help.

-jon
Yup I had the "whirling sound" at about 100K. It was louder in 1st and 2nd then kinda dropped off as the speed went up. At 120K it was so loud that you couldn't talk in the car if I was in first gear at low speed. (Gee I was so cheap)
Then the rear main engine seal was leaking and the oil was burning on the clutch as I was shifting. (My kids pleaded to fix the car as the smoke was choking them...) I didn't give in until the slave cylinder went. So at 125k to repair and replace bearings in tranny, clutch assembly, rear main engine seal, slave and master clutch cylinder cost me $2000- which I would call my first
"unscheduled repair" By the way it seems that the 5 speeds did have some sort of defect out of the factory- wrong preload on the bearings which caused the "premature" wear. The shop told me good thing I didn't wait too long to fix the bearings (if they only knew....) because it would start to wear the gears.....good luck....
Old 10-28-2003, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by LastBoyScout
do trans-sexuals make noises when they fail??

oh...transmission.....a failing transmission sounds alot like gears grinding a spinning and slippings since that is what they are doing.....

and sometimes you get that nice clunking noise......

stop asking silly questions and take it in.....if you cant, stop driving it.
The most common is the differential bearings going bad and not the gears stripping unless your one of the guys with high clamping clutches that usually have 3rd gear blow out if they do go.