4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Conventional Oil Poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 09:44 AM
B.C.

Amongst those of us using conventional oil, can we state what type and weight of oil we are using?

Castrol GTX 10w-30

Old 02-20-2001, 10:03 AM

Texaco Havoline 5W-30.....

Cheap at 89 cents/qt. regular price at Target.

[Edited by MarkP on 02-20-2001 at 12:14 PM]
Old 02-20-2001, 11:52 AM

Time ot take a trip to Target, the van needs an oil change. I use synthetic for the MAx in wintertime... Hey Mark, did you race on Wall lake this weekend? I was going to show but had to go out of town.
Old 02-20-2001, 12:06 PM
B.C.

kratz:

Any preference of oil brands for the Max that you use after winter?

Old 02-20-2001, 12:14 PM

I use synthetic now (Castrol Syntec 5W 50) but when I used regular oil I would use Castrol 10W 30. I'm finding that where my oil use to get very black around 3K miles, now with synthetic I'm over 6K miles and the color is still light. Just changed the filter and it got lighter even and the texture is still very good.

Old 02-20-2001, 03:17 PM

No, unfortunately...

a head cold made me decide to stay indoors this weekend.
I wonder if Brian got a chance to try out his new Blizzaks.
The way the weathers going, the March 18th autocross at DMACC there in Ankeny may get cancelled if there is snow on the pavement. FYI here is the Des Moines SCCA event website if you don't already have it:
http://www.dmvrscca.org/soloschd.htm

-Mark

Originally posted by kratz74
Time ot take a trip to Target, the van needs an oil change. I use synthetic for the MAx in wintertime... Hey Mark, did you race on Wall lake this weekend? I was going to show but had to go out of town.
[Edited by MarkP on 02-20-2001 at 05:21 PM]
Old 02-20-2001, 06:17 PM

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30 in winter... for all other season Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-30 with Mobil 1 Premium Oil filter or Purolator Micron Premium filter (the blue one)
Old 02-20-2001, 08:25 PM

Castrol

10w-30
Old 02-20-2001, 10:42 PM

Hey guess what. It really doesn't matter what brand of conventional oil you use. It's practically all the same. Consumers Reports did a test a while back and found that there was no measurable difference among different brands of oil in terms of engine wear characteristics.

Among the oils I've used in my car are Pennzoil, Quaker State, Kendall, Chevron, etc. etc. etc. As long as it's the right viscosity and API approved, it's good enough for me.

Old 02-20-2001, 11:30 PM

Couldn,t agree more

Originally posted by Eric L.
Hey guess what. It really doesn't matter what brand of conventional oil you use. It's practically all the same. Consumers Reports did a test a while back and found that there was no measurable difference among different brands of oil in terms of engine wear characteristics.

Was this the one where they used NYC taxicabs? That,s the one I read and they said if it says TYPE SH or SJ and had energy conserving on the bottle, then that,s all you need. Synthetics did not fair any better nor did adding junk such as Slick 50 or any other oil treatment.
Old 02-21-2001, 07:15 AM

You can't logically rely upon the NY Taxi story to determine the beneficial aspects of synthetic. Not only does synthetic allegedly last longer by retaining its viscosity, it offers better protection for temperature variables. Taxi cabs are started in the am and run all day long at operating temperature, in a somewhat moderate climate. NY City does not get overly frigid in the wintertime like it does in other parts of the country. Starting a cold engine is where engine wear is most likely to occur-the Taxis cold start ups were limited in relationship to the operating time and mileage. ALso, NY CIty had a relatively warm winter the year the test was performed.

I live in central IA where the temperature was a warm 1 degree this morning. Conventional oil does not flow well at this temp b/c you can actually hear it struggling to lubricate the engine (and I use 5w30). Synthetic flows well immediately at start up in cold temps and theoretically offers better protection in climates where these temperatures are experienced.

In temperate climates, any 5w30 oil with the proper certifications will offer adequate protection (unless of course you are racing and may experience high engine tmeps-which would cause me to recommend synthetics again).
Old 02-21-2001, 09:12 AM

Well

You can't logically rely upon the NY Taxi story to determine the beneficial aspects of synthetic. Not only does synthetic allegedly last longer by retaining its viscosity, it offers better protection for temperature variables. Taxi cabs are started in the am and run all day long at operating temperature, in a somewhat moderate climate. NY City does not get overly frigid in the wintertime like it does in other parts of the country. Starting a cold engine is where engine wear is most likely to occur-the Taxis cold start ups were limited in relationship to the operating time and mileage. ALso, NY CIty had a relatively warm winter the year the test was performed.

I live in central IA where the temperature was a warm 1 degree this morning. Conventional oil does not flow well at this temp b/c you can actually hear it struggling to lubricate the engine (and I use 5w30). Synthetic flows well immediately at start up in cold temps and theoretically offers better protection in climates where these temperatures are experienced.

In temperate climates, any 5w30 oil with the proper certifications will offer adequate protection (unless of course you are racing and may experience high engine tmeps-which would cause me to recommend synthetics again).
I can,t quite argue considering that I live in frigid San Antonio so perhaps your cold weather theory/and start up has some good logic behind it. I don,t recall them starting/shutting off/starting the engines all day. I do recall they did take apart each engine to measure wear on such items as crank/rod bearings camshaft bearings and other items and did not find any oil that offered a significant amount of protection that was worth mentioning. Thanks for your input though.
Old 02-21-2001, 02:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dude, you haven't been in NYC in a winter have you? It got into the low 20s in the winter. Thats a warm winter?

ZuM