4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen Illumina\Tien install completed

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 12:49 PM

Your front end looks badass. What's next on the list, wheels?

LEMAR
Old 08-05-2004, 05:46 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally Posted by RastaManMax
Your front end looks badass. What's next on the list, wheels?

LEMAR
Here to just give a ~6 month update on the combo ... I came across this thread and I know I always wished people would follow up with real impressions in a few months.

This package still handles wonderfully. I had to recently replace my entire power steering rack and that's when I really got to see the package in action. Very nice ride ... handles bumps as well as you can expect from a lowering spring/strut combo. I'm sitting on 3/3 dialed in on the struts F/R. I'm almost thinking 2/3 would be more ideal as there are a few areas where my car is known to bottom out. However, it truly is not that often ... only under the worst road conditions that would pound an OEM suspension too ... you just might not feel it as much.

Overall, I would definitely purchase this combination again. DEFINITELY get KYB Strut boots and definitely don't go too soft up front, you'll be banging that bumpstop more than you want. Oh ... and, not sure about the OEM jack ... but my little hydraulic jack (the $30 jobber from Pep Boys, nothing special) barely fits under there ...

I give it 4 ******* out of 5.

And, on a personal note ...
In reply to a few missed questions above ... rims are finally in the works. It pays to be patient. Also getting that dent fixed has finally become a high priority and should be completed by the end of September. Then a full detail and she'll be ready to be shown. I will finally be able to wash the damn thing without having to wash a fkin huge dent in the quarter panel ... hur-rah ...

Anyway ... I just hope this update helped someone make a decision one way or another ...
Old 08-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You ******! Damn, Joel, I see you more on here than I do at work! LOL. Really glad you're happy with the setup. Hopefully nothing we did ... ummm, messed up your steering rack! LOL

Don't even talk to me about bottoming out biatch! YES, the strut boots/bump stops are an absolute requirement! I'm just about ready to take my whole setup apart (yet again) and cut the damn bump stops in half. They're still in good shape, so I don't think that would be much different than the KYB's.

Rims, eh? FINALLY! LOL. I thought you were gonna buy my 2K1 GXE 10 spokers?

Looking at some new ones myself. Gonna stick with 17's cause the 18" tires are just too $ and I'd prefer the lighter weight. Hey, I'm running an auto here ... gimme a break!

The y-pipe (WSP) finally came today ... Dallas is ... um, rather slow about getting around to mailing something after you've payed for it. I started the install tonight, but rounded off one of the cheap-*** Nissan heat shield bolts. <sigh> So, I'm just gonna take it to a muffler place and spend the $40.

Finally got the Otto FSTB. I can say there's a huge difference. Much less ugly thumping over one-wheeled bumps and steering feels a lot tighter.

Once again, glad you're happy with the setup! So, when we gonna replace that second right/left strut? Still be happy to help. I'm gonna try to borrow Darren's air jack, but I promise he won't help! You gotta get the beer, tho. LOL

P.S. I don't get it ... 'damn' is okay, but 'a-s-s" is ***? WTF? Oh, ye censorship Gods of the Maxima forums, please explain the logic???
Old 08-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Lookin good! I got a question though...

How does the illumina/tein setup compare to the total illumina kit that custom max sells?
Old 08-05-2004, 08:30 PM

Does any one have S-Tech's with AGX's?
Old 08-06-2004, 12:44 AM

yeah maximus_95 does.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:20 AM

i was going to have that combo..but i decided to go ebay and buy from a bad seller.. just another reminder for all of you who want the s techs.. dont buy from AJDM on ebay.

sweet drop..im still looking for a set..
Old 08-06-2004, 05:06 AM

yet another beautiful clean maxima
Old 08-06-2004, 09:30 AM

Looks really good.
I must just say also, that your AE headlights are probably the cleanest looking I have ever seen. They look like the smoked cefiros, but they are 2-piece.
Congrats on a great looking car!
Old 08-17-2004, 10:22 PM

nice but whats up with the 1 painted door pilar and 3 vinyl, lol???
Old 08-17-2004, 11:20 PM
kv2

wow what kind of headlights are those? any idea where I can get a pair?
Old 08-18-2004, 08:20 AM

I have a '99 max with Illuminas and Tein H-techs. the S's do give a slightly lower drop, but if u want a little more comfort then the High techs would be for you. Mine almost looks exactly the same as in his pics. decently low with a very nice even drop.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:22 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally Posted by MAXecutive
nice but whats up with the 1 painted door pilar and 3 vinyl, lol???
Long story ... break in attempt screwed up the rear pillar on the driver's side ... had it fixed, but they just painted it black instead of body color. So I don't know this ... go to rip vinyl off in the rear after taking it off the front ... no vinyl.

That'll be fixed when I get my dent fixed next month tho.

Thanks for all the compliments on the headlights ... I did that myself.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:55 PM

what installation stuff did you need Big? for the mounting/installing of shocks/springs? would the kyb boot kit be sufficient? thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:56 PM
vsamoylov

so how much are the springs alone? i got H&R but want something lower. and the only thing i am worried about is ride quality and if i do get tein s-techs i will pair them up with illuminas. but how is the ride and do you need anything else?

Old 08-18-2004, 06:00 PM

super duper
Old 08-18-2004, 07:08 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally Posted by Momaxima
what installation stuff did you need Big? for the mounting/installing of shocks/springs? would the kyb boot kit be sufficient? thanks in advance.
KYB boots are shorter and will help with suspension travel. However, for "installation" you need a spring compressor and a torque wrench aside from the obvious things like a rachet, breaker bar, etc.

For myself, I also got new strut mounts to help ensure there would be no problems.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:09 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
so how much are the springs alone? i got H&R but want something lower. and the only thing i am worried about is ride quality and if i do get tein s-techs i will pair them up with illuminas. but how is the ride and do you need anything else?
Ride: About as good as you can get with aftermarket stuff IMHO.

Don't NEED anything else, but KYB dust boots are definitely recommended.