4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help!! Limited Budget Suspension Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 03:23 PM

Help!! Limited Budget Suspension Install

Okay, here's the situation...I just received my H&R's yesterday, and I'll be ordering Illumina's in a few weeks. I'm REALLY excited, but kinda broke. I'm tryin to save money on the install, but I'd rather not do it myself, cause I can't afford to rough something up, and I can't afford to be without my car for a couple days if I do mess something up. My mechanic quoted me $150 per side for springs/struts, but I'd like to find another independent mechanic with a good rep that will do it for a lesser price in my area (Delaware, SE PA, NE MD). Can anyone offer suggestions?????
Old 11-11-2003, 03:48 PM
ivelweyz

It'll cost you at least $200 for everything. And again I don't understand why people buy stuff that is out of their budget? You knew that he install would be more than you have, and you knew you weren't going to do it yourself so why in god's name would you order this stuff? Also wait to install it in the spring to put on this stuff not when winter is around the corner...

Old 11-11-2003, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by slammed95
It should be less than $150 for everything. With all the right tools, it should be done in about 1 hour, if no problems come up.

Good luck.
Are you talking less than $150 per side?
Old 11-11-2003, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
It'll cost you at least $200 for everything. And again I don't understand why people buy stuff that is out of their budget? You knew that he install would be more than you have, and you knew you weren't going to do it yourself so why in god's name would you order this stuff? Also wait to install it in the spring to put on this stuff not when winter is around the corner...
Well, for starters, my struts are shot. Also, let me rephrase what I had said earlier...I'm not completely broke, I just don't wanna spend $300 for labor, and don't feel completely comfortable doing it myself, not to mention I don't have the time. I'd like to get this done asap, but would like to save money for Christmas. Wait until spring? nope, tired of the annoyance of living and working in the city and driving the crappy streets with dead struts. Why in God's name? Because I had the money to buy the parts now, and if I didn't buy them now, I might not have gotten a chance to. Oh, by the way, did you pull out the crystal ball to determine that I knew that the install would be more than I had? Pardon me for not wanting to dump out $300 when there may be a possiblity of getting it done for alot less.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by maxcross
Are you talking less than $150 per side?
Less than $150 total.
I know places around that do it for $85 total.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by drewm
Less than $150 total.
I know places around that do it for $85 total.
Nice!! Now I just have to find somewhere around here...Thanks for the shot of good hope!
Old 11-11-2003, 05:45 PM
ivelweyz

Originally Posted by maxcross
Well, for starters, my struts are shot. Also, let me rephrase what I had said earlier...I'm not completely broke, I just don't wanna spend $300 for labor, and don't feel completely comfortable doing it myself, not to mention I don't have the time. I'd like to get this done asap, but would like to save money for Christmas. Wait until spring? nope, tired of the annoyance of living and working in the city and driving the crappy streets with dead struts. Why in God's name? Because I had the money to buy the parts now, and if I didn't buy them now, I might not have gotten a chance to. Oh, by the way, did you pull out the crystal ball to determine that I knew that the install would be more than I had? Pardon me for not wanting to dump out $300 when there may be a possiblity of getting it done for alot less.
I've been driving with busted struts for months on chicago streets, you get used to it. I just ordered new shocks/struts springs but won't lower the car til spring. It's $100 per side but a guy from the org said he'll put them on if I get him some beer and help him with the install. He's got a lift and everything so it should be easy. Do it yourself or get help from someone cause it's hard to **** up a suspension install, but after reading your post maybe getting a bicycle would be the best solution for you...

Old 11-12-2003, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
I've been driving with busted struts for months on chicago streets, you get used to it. I just ordered new shocks/struts springs but won't lower the car til spring. It's $100 per side but a guy from the org said he'll put them on if I get him some beer and help him with the install. He's got a lift and everything so it should be easy. Do it yourself or get help from someone cause it's hard to **** up a suspension install, but after reading your post maybe getting a bicycle would be the best solution for you...
Thanks, that's a better answer, and honestly, if I could find someone with a lift that'll let me do it with him for as cheap as a case of beer, then I'll def. go that route. Also, I already have a bike, in fact I get paid to ride it, but riding from home to work = get shot/robbed/stabbed/whatever else you can dream up. Come to think of it, there's no fast way for me to ride a bike to work without going through the ghetto, but good suggestion. How many months have you had dead struts? I'm actually pushing on 1-2 years since I noticed that the left front was leaking, but I didn't want to do anything until I was ready to replace all of them.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:00 PM

Well, your best bet is to find some local .org help and then you'll have to get your tires aligned afterwards. You also may check to see if any local high schools have a mechanic shop class. Some of those are willing to work on your car for low price or free. Or you could just save up some money and pay to have it done. Good luck. Don't forget to leave about $75 for alignment after the install.