4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: what has the injen intake done for you?
I felt an increase in power; I love this intake
80.00%
I did not feel an increase or decrease in overall power
20.00%
I felt an overall decrease in power
0%
Injen intake ruined my car
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Injen intake feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003 | 10:44 AM

Injen intake feedback

I would like to know if the injen intake is worth buying. Hopefully some injen intake owners can fill me in about this intake. Did you feel a good performance difference, did you feel a decrease in performance in certain areas of the powerband, did you just notice the sound and no additional power, and finally are there any problems you have ran into? Also feel free to make other intake suggestions.
Old 11-12-2003 | 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmmax
I would like to know if the injen intake is worth buying. Hopefully some injen intake owners can fill me in about this intake. Did you feel a good performance difference, did you feel a decrease in performance in certain areas of the powerband, did you just notice the sound and no additional power, and finally are there any problems you have ran into? Also feel free to make other intake suggestions.
ok this is what i think
intakes are all for look and show.
+/- 5hp
the injen imo has the best growl, even more so with an aftermarket exhaust. also in the looks department its rather sharp, being all shiny. it comes with a blue filter which i sjust like a k&n and is reusuable. i may replace it with a k&n someday. do i feel the difference i? i like to think i do. it sounds like i'm going faster...a place racing intake on the otherhand is a true CAI, while the injen sits low(no danger of sucking up water) it also is behind the radiator and fans...the place racing intake isn't as loud but gets better air....from a performance standpoint its the best. but in reality intakes do little for performance so i went with injen because it sounds nasty(good), easy to install, looks good, and probably makes me the tinest bit faster. however if i ever were to do an intake again i'd just make it myself and slap a k&n on the end of it. i'd try to do some ram air shizzle. hope this helps....im bord
Old 11-12-2003 | 11:55 AM
ivelweyz

here it is, best intake is a hacked air box with midpipe. I used to have a hybrid which loses low end torque. With the CAI you lose to end. With a hacked air box you get the same growl and gain some hp without losing any. Also it costs nothing...
Old 11-12-2003 | 11:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love my Injen Intake. I do feel the power and since this is my only performance mod at the time, but my 1/4 mile time was better with it. Last year all stock my best time was 15.84 @ 84.3MPH and with the Intake my best time was 15.56 @ 89.6MPH. It probable wasn't all in the intake but I do love it
Old 11-12-2003 | 02:17 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

For The Last Friggin Time: An Intake Will Only Give You A Major Increase On The Butt Dyno. It Will Make Your Car Sound Like A Bad Mother, But It'll Still Be A 3.0 Liter V-6.

Dave, What Are You Doing Dave?
Please Don't Unplug Me
Nooooooooooooo
Old 11-12-2003 | 05:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've had, literally, just about every intake setup you can have: Injen, weapon r(frankencar), Stillen, stock resonator with...blah blah blah. It really depends on the kind of driving you like to do and where you want the punch and power. Dave B here on the org has started very informative threads on this subject. Just do a search for them. Personally, I like the Injen: looks, feel, sound, power(if you can tell a power difference in your intake then you would probably benefit from the new anti-depressant: Placebo). The track is where i really like the injen. Pulling nearly a full tenth off my 60 ft. times consistently. these are all just my experiences.
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:41 PM

yeah

sorry about the last post, i seriously need to stop getting high and watching 2001........anyway.

cullen is right about the intake. It looks cool, sounds cooler, but gives you jack **** as far as gains. The only thing it's really good for is when you happen to be around a bunch of ricers, and your car looks entirely stock, and you romp on the gas, and that deep v-8ish sound comes out......they're all like, whoa, what's he got under the hood.

But then technically, you're a poser.
Old 11-14-2003 | 11:06 AM

I don't see why websites like this would lie about the gains of an intake:

http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~sehgals/mods.html#intake

Same as this one:

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?MaximaIntakes

What do you think?
Old 11-14-2003 | 04:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

they're not lying, they're just... misinformed...?
Old 11-16-2003 | 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by jmmax
I don't see why websites like this would lie about the gains of an intake:

http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~sehgals/mods.html#intake

Same as this one:

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?MaximaIntakes

What do you think?
I think that out of all my nissan's(two maxmas and 4 SE-R's) intakes maybe, maybe add 2-5hp, but the stock 4th gen intake plumbing is not very restrictive at all so the gains are more deluded by the sound and the seat of the pants.
Old 11-16-2003 | 08:20 AM
Old Maxima Legend

i have the injen setup, guessing a true cai is better for performance, i suspect the injen is causing my car to have mild pinging, not sure ? might want to look into that aspect
Old 11-16-2003 | 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
i have the injen setup, guessing a true cai is better for performance, i suspect the injen is causing my car to have mild pinging, not sure ? might want to look into that aspect
pinging? when did this start bud? last time i talked to you, you were pretty happy with the setup. I'm lovin' mine so far
Old 11-16-2003 | 05:34 PM

Sorry, I don't follow you Ceasar. Sorry, I'm a noob.
Old 11-17-2003 | 03:02 PM

pinging, like knocking.....pre-detonation? or like a pinging noise coming from the engine bay?
Old 12-21-2003 | 10:09 PM
I like Maximas

Caesar Maybe

something is banging up against the intake or it needs to have its nuts tightened more so it doesn't move around. can it be a bad KS that's causing the pinging? but you ran a 14.39 (congrats btw) so that's probably not it.

good luck finding the culprit
-Vadim