4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spun out, need help! Not too long.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 10:44 AM
Maxfreak

Well last night on my way home from D&B's I came over this little hill going somewhat fast, but I knew the road or so I thought. I live in Colorado and needless to say I got into some gravel and the back end came out in front of me, I ended up going bass ackwards into a little ravine on the side of the road, the raod is a rural one so no cars were around. I think if it wasn't for the lowering springs the car might have gone over, I thank god it didn't. My question is now I feel a little pulse when I drive, it sorta feels like one of the tires has a bulge in it. I did a quick check on the car to see if anything was out of place or broke, nothing. I'm wondering if it could be some mud on the inside of the rims, or something got warped but I don't really know. I attribute the spin out to the sway bar. If anyone has an idea please help me, I'm going to get my tired rotated later today and will find out then if somthing is wrong with the rim or tires. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2001, 01:47 PM

A couple possibilities are that you threw your alignment off or possibly bent a wheel. Where did your car take the grunt of the dive into the ravine? I've spun out and curbed one of my wheels that bent it and mine felt exactly like you described, a little pulsating. In my case it was a rear wheel and I felt the pulsating in the seat of my pants.
Old 02-24-2001, 03:19 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

When your rear end comes aroud on your Max->

Take your foot off the brake and gun the gas. You want to get the front end ahead of the rear end. It will be all over when your rear end comes around. Good way to practice this besides the track or autocross event is a snow packed parking lot. Drive at around 25-35mph and make a sharp turn. Pull the parking brake will cause the rear end to swing out. Try it next time when it snows.
Old 02-24-2001, 03:54 PM

Re: When your rear end comes aroud on your Max->

At first I didn't get what you were trying to say, but your right. I actually do this a lot when coming up around corners I know; in the snow if I know I'm going to fast, rather than try to actually take the turn and pray; I start the turn, hit the parking brake (wait for the back to start to go) and gas. It's like I comprimise a little on the control, but at least I know I will make the corner and not end up in a ditch.

About your 'pulsating', did you notice this immediatly? and does it change rates at which it happens when you change speeds of your car? What I'm saying is when your going 5mph vs. 50mph vs. 75mph, is it all the same, or does it go away when your driving really slow or really fast??

I'm also leaning towards bent wheel on this one.

-Nate

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Take your foot off the brake and gun the gas. You want to get the front end ahead of the rear end. It will be all over when your rear end comes around. Good way to practice this besides the track or autocross event is a snow packed parking lot. Drive at around 25-35mph and make a sharp turn. Pull the parking brake will cause the rear end to swing out. Try it next time when it snows.