4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Air in brake lines.....have a quick question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Air in brake lines.....have a quick question...

I installed the Goodridge SS lines along with some speedbleeders at all 4 wheels and now I have air in the lines (left resevoir cap open when changing lines - dumb). The rear passenger wheel speedbleeder isn't working but the ones at the other three wheels are. My brake pedal is complete mush now, goes all the way to the floorboard.

Is it true that if there's air in the lines that the speedbleeders won't work properly? Do I have to go around and re-install the stock bleeder at each wheel and bleed the line the normal way (push in brake pedal, open stock bleeder, let out fluid, close bleeder, release pedal) before re-installing the speedbleeder? I read somewhere that someone had a similar problem with his speedbleeder not working and he reinstalled it to cure the problem. Dunno if that will work in my case though.

Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving....
Old 11-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

The only thing I can figure is this: If you have a lot of air in that line, when you press the pedal, the air compresses so much that there is not enough pressure transmited to the speedbleeder to open the spring loaded check valve.

Try putting the regular bleeder back in and getting the air out that way...
Old 11-26-2003, 11:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

You must be able to bleed ALL the lines properly or the brakes will not work right.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:19 AM

Thanks guys. One more ?...

Can I assume that since the other three lines bled properly, that there is air in only the 4th brake line and not the master cylinder or the other three lines?

I guess I can just re-bleed the 4th line and see if that clears up the mushy pedal problem.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

Did I stutter?? hehe. It's all the lines or nothing. Actually to all of them over again

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You must be able to bleed ALL the lines properly or the brakes will not work right.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:26 AM

Did I stutter?? hehe. It's all the lines or nothing. Actually to all of them over again
I know what you're saying. I guess I'm just thinking that if there is air in the master cylinder than none of the lines will bleed properly with the speedbleeders...whereas if there is only air in a certain line then only that line will not bleed properly.

Right? I'm just trying to understand what's going on here before I dive back into this later today...
Old 11-26-2003, 11:31 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well the point of bleeding the lines is to get the air out. If speedbleeders don't work if there is air in the lines, what's the point of them?

If there's air in the MC, you have to bleed it seperately.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:41 AM

Well the point of bleeding the lines is to get the air out. If speedbleeders don't work if there is air in the lines, what's the point of them?
I thought the whole point of speedbleeders was to prevent air rushing back into the line when you released the brake pedal? You don't need somebody opening and closing the bleeder every time you pump the brake pedal.

If there's air in the MC, you have to bleed it seperately.
****. How do I do that?
Old 11-26-2003, 11:42 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ugh! The point of speedbleeders is
1) to bleed the air out of the lines
2) to be able to do it w/o someone else helping

Try rebleeding all the lines and then see what happens
Old 11-26-2003, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by sbslacker
I installed the Goodridge SS lines along with some speedbleeders at all 4 wheels and now I have air in the lines (left resevoir cap open when changing lines - dumb). The rear passenger wheel speedbleeder isn't working but the ones at the other three wheels are. My brake pedal is complete mush now, goes all the way to the floorboard.

Is it true that if there's air in the lines that the speedbleeders won't work properly? Do I have to go around and re-install the stock bleeder at each wheel and bleed the line the normal way (push in brake pedal, open stock bleeder, let out fluid, close bleeder, release pedal) before re-installing the speedbleeder? I read somewhere that someone had a similar problem with his speedbleeder not working and he reinstalled it to cure the problem. Dunno if that will work in my case though.

Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving....

ok - had the same scenario - installed SS lines and speedbleeders
the rear passenger seemed not to work like the rest of them - the fluid was barely coming out of it when attempting to bleed that line , also the bleeder screw was leaking from under the rubber cap ( emailed speedbleeder 6 times with not a single resopnse )
I thought that my caliper was bad so i almost bought new rear caliper
than I tried to bleed it again and it did bleed ( but i still think that rear caliper is not working properly - i checked the temp of rotor after short drive and it was much cooler then drvier passenger side)

as is stands now - I used some teflon lock tie to seal of the threads of the bleeder and left it that way.

one question though: Did you follow the bleeding sequence ????
becouse i did not , and i think this could be the cause
I will rebleed with the proper sequence next week or so

and there is nothing wrong with leaving MC cap off during changin brake lines
You want it to be open - so it doesn't explode with brake fluid under the hood

my brakes are fine though , car stops on the spot
is just that one rear passenger speebleeder bugging me

Nick
Old 11-26-2003, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by nick
ok - had the same scenario - installed SS lines and speedbleeders
the rear passenger seemed not to work like the rest of them - the fluid was barely coming out of it when attempting to bleed that line , also the bleeder screw was leaking from under the rubber cap ( emailed speedbleeder 6 times with not a single resopnse )
I thought that my caliper was bad so i almost bought new rear caliper
than I tried to bleed it again and it did bleed ( but i still think that rear caliper is not working properly - i checked the temp of rotor after short drive and it was much cooler then drvier passenger side)

as is stands now - I used some teflon lock tie to seal of the threads of the bleeder and left it that way.

one question though: Did you follow the bleeding sequence ????
becouse i did not , and i think this could be the cause
I will rebleed with the proper sequence next week or so

and there is nothing wrong with leaving MC cap off during changin brake lines
You want it to be open - so it doesn't explode with brake fluid under the hood

my brakes are fine though , car stops on the spot
is just that one rear passenger speebleeder bugging me

Nick
Interesting. Your brakes seem to work though, and mine do not. The bleeding sequence that I folllowed was passenger rear, passenger front, drivers rear, drivers front. They all bled fine except the first one. Now I'm reading other people's posts and they're saying that it's supposed to be passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front. Hmmm....

Well, I assumed that since I left the cap off when I changed the lines, that allowed the resevoir to drain completely and allowed air into the system. I figured that if I left the cap on, the fluid would have still drained out of the lines, but the MC and resevoir would have stayed relatively full and not allowed any air into the system.

I'm going to try rebleeding the pass. rear this afternoon and then the rest of them if that doesn't work.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:27 PM
I'm needing a caw

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton...61CH09_10.HTML