4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Used Sea Foam today

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 03:09 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Used Sea Foam today

Put 1/3 through my intake manifold and the rest in the gas tank. I smoked out the whole neighborhood
Old 11-26-2003, 03:10 PM

...........?
Old 11-26-2003, 03:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

haha. Can you peer though the TB so see if the intake man is cleaner??
Old 11-26-2003, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
haha. Can you peer though the TB so see if the intake man is cleaner??
If the amount of carbon build up is proportional to the amount of smoke that came out of my tail pipe, then I had a 12:1 compression ratio
Old 11-26-2003, 03:20 PM

at the risk of sounding like a dumbass, can someone explain what this seafoam is please?
Feel Any difference? and finally where can i get it if it is actually a good product
Old 11-26-2003, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 97blackSE
at the risk of sounding like a dumbass, can someone explain what this seafoam is please?
Feel Any difference? and finally where can i get it if it is actually a good product
Sea foam is a basically a fuel system cleaner that can be used in the intake manifold as well. It is supposed to clear away carbon deposits on high mileage cars. It says it will restore performance and give a better idle. I used it for the purpose of tryin to lower my compression a tad so I can run the knock sensor reistor mod safely as possible. It can be found at nappa for $5. Oh, and I think it can be used in the motor oil as well.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:10 PM

sort of like a marvel mystery oil deal correct?
Old 11-27-2003, 06:20 AM
Kevlo for President

how did u go about using it in ur intake manifold, i just read hte thread in the general forum about this and am temped to use this
Old 11-27-2003, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by kevlo911
how did u go about using it in ur intake manifold, i just read hte thread in the general forum about this and am temped to use this

Directions are on the can. It says to use the PCV valve or any other vaccume line that will suck it into the intake manifold and distribute to all cylinders. Our pcv valve is not in a good spot to do this, so I used the vaccume hose right behind the TB. It's the one I used to tap for my vacuume canister for my VI. I think it is the FPR vacuum hose???

Used a very small funnel and slowly poured 1/3 of the can into the hose while the car was running at operating temp. Turned the car off for 5 min. Restarted the car. At first hardly any smoke came out and my car died. A little worried at that point, I restarted the car and gave it a bit of gas. Almost died that time. Let it run for a minute then went for a drive around the block. As soon as the car was under load it stared smoking like a motha (that is what it's supposed to do). Parked the car and it spewed white smoke for 10 minutes. The white smoke it supposed to be the carbon build up being burned off.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:57 AM

I can just hear my mom now..... "jesus christ kyle wtf are you DOING? Theres SMOKE everywhere what did you DO? Always fixing things yourself, you were bound to mess up, werent you? I told you TAKE IT TO A GARAGE!"

Ahhh, good old mom She thinks I'm an idiot...well....I AM i suppose, but i DO know how to work on my car here and there>
Old 11-27-2003, 07:42 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

It's more fun to go on the interstate...
Old 11-27-2003, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
It's more fun to go on the interstate...
james bond style
Old 11-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Or you could take it through a drive through
Old 11-27-2003, 11:05 AM
Kevlo for President

ima do this as soon as i get hte max back, its the the body shop right now trying to get hte rear bumper and new spoiler to match
Old 11-27-2003, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 97blackSE
I can just hear my mom now..... "jesus christ kyle wtf are you DOING? Theres SMOKE everywhere what did you DO? Always fixing things yourself, you were bound to mess up, werent you? I told you TAKE IT TO A GARAGE!"

Ahhh, good old mom She thinks I'm an idiot...well....I AM i suppose, but i DO know how to work on my car here and there>

lol.. my folks are the same way!
Old 11-27-2003, 11:46 AM

so.. how does the car feel? Any improvements?
Old 11-27-2003, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by SuperFishstick
Have not driven the car more than 2 miles yet.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by SuperFishstick
put enough miles on the car to give an opinion. I have gone through the tank of gas I put sea foam in as well. I'd say it runs a tad better, idle is a bit smoother. Might even pull a bit better at lower rpm's, but that is probably just in my head. Did not hurt anything at least.

I was not expecting much. Just wanted to do anything I could to better prepare my engine for running w/o a knock sensor and race gas daily. Any amout that I can lower my compression the better.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:23 PM
be the change u want2C

Hey Mike where did you buy the sea foam from, An AutoZone, Pepboys, or Murays???
Old 12-01-2003, 01:18 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

sounds interesting im planning on doing it soon
Old 12-01-2003, 01:26 PM

Napa, 5 bucks
Old 12-01-2003, 02:29 PM

I picked up 2 bottles today, need one for my mom's 94 Altima. Im not too sure which hose I should put it down, is the one your talking about goes from the resonator (midpipe thing) to somewhere behind the throttle body? I got it at Napa for about $5.50 a bottle. Here a what the bottles look like...

Old 12-01-2003, 02:55 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

What upper cylinder, and why does it need to be lubed?

How does the overall treatment compare to Gumout TB cleaner?

97blackse: :Sprint: My mom thinks the antifreeze leaking from her radiator is oil i spilled while doing my oil change.

"mom, oil is black, this is green"

"I don't care what color it is, you did it while you were in the garage working on your friggin car"

"Sure mom"

"why don't you stop wasting all your money on that damn thing and save it instead? That's all you ever do, is obsess over that damn car. Look at your room, car magazines and **** all over the place....why don't you out and get youself a girlfriend?"

"That's Maxim, not ****. And i have a girlfriend.......she's parked in the driveway"
Old 12-01-2003, 02:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by fearthegecko
"why don't you stop wasting all your money on that damn thing and save it instead? That's all you ever do, is obsess over that damn car. Look at your room, car magazines and **** all over the place....why don't you out and get youself a girlfriend?"
Old 12-01-2003, 03:02 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by fearthegecko
What upper cylinder, and why does it need to be lubed?

How does the overall treatment compare to Gumout TB cleaner?

97blackse: :Sprint: My mom thinks the antifreeze leaking from her radiator is oil i spilled while doing my oil change.

"mom, oil is black, this is green"

"I don't care what color it is, you did it while you were in the garage working on your friggin car"

"Sure mom"

"That's Maxim, not ****. And i have a girlfriend.......she's parked in the driveway"

WTF
Old 12-19-2003, 04:10 PM

i bought this:
It's the spray version. I sprayed it here:

That hose is here:

All in all I:

1. Wish i had bought the actual liquid. It would've been a hell of a lot easier to work with. Plus, there wouldn't be a little red straw missing somewhere in my engine bay right now.
2. feel gypped that it didn't
Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
smoked out the whole neighborhood
. I hate my neighbors.
3. think that the only improvement from this has been a smoother idle. So far. Normally, when my TB needs cleaning (that gets done tommorrow, along with the fuel filter) the car idles a little above 1k RPMs, fully warmed up, and under no load. After a TB cleaning, the car will idle around 750 RPMs, which is where it is now. I think that the final outcome of this is that it's comparable to a tb cleaning.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:32 PM

What is that hose called? I wasnt sure which hose to use so I poured it straight in the midpipe (frankencar intake) in the hose the faces the front of the car. Seemed like it worked, I got a bunch of white smoke coming out. Im gonna use some BG 44k fuel system cleaner and then use the sea foam again.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:05 PM
STFU n00b!

you guys have a vacuum hose on your TB that's something like this one?
Look at the little one right by the end of my finger...

that size hose works perfect for this... just pull that one off and stick a spare piece of vacuum hose on it, and dunk it in the can. no funnels, no "overdoing it" by trying to pour it in the huge brake booster hose, etc etc etc.

Also... the white smoke you're seeing is also the cleaner itself. it's not just carbon.. carbon and varnish buildup are usually more of an oil-smoke color, not bright white like this stuff is.

Is it helping though? I'm sure it is. certainly can't hurt anything.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:27 PM
2060lbs and falling...

A much more definite approach to cleaning manifold would be busting the b!tch off. Like I'm doing as we speak.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:49 PM

I did the sea foam shyt but got a CEL when I took off the vacuum hose while the car was running. when you do this, is it normal to get a CEL after taking the vacuum hose off to have the sea foam suck into the manifold?
Old 12-20-2003, 09:24 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i'd assume a cel is common
Old 12-31-2003, 10:57 AM

actually, being one of those morons that broke the screw off of the ECU one day, i fear a CEL, because the only way to get rid of it is to call up someone with an OBDII scanner and beg him to turn off the CEL. But no, i did not get a CEL while removing any of the hoses. The car did stall the first 2 or 3 times i did it, but no CEL.

Originally Posted by matt93se
you guys have a vacuum hose on your TB that's something like this one?
Look at the little one right by the end of my finger...

Okay, i should know what the TB looks like off of the top of my head, but i don't. I'm assumng that since a 93 has the VE and the 99 has that crazy VQ, that they aren't exactly the same. Hell, if you read the haynes manual for the VQ, the placement of the PCV valve is differnet between the 95 and 99 editions, so the thought that nissan would keep a hose in the same spot between the 93 and 99 is highly unlikely. Which, i'd like to add, if you happen to own a 95/96 and have the PCV valve in such an easily accessible spot, by all means take advantage of this, rather than wasting your time with hoses and such.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:21 PM

if I do the seafoam thing, would i needa clean my tb? or is that cleaned too?

Also, besides SeaFoam, is there another product that does the same thing? Thanx!

Jae
Old 12-31-2003, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
if I do the seafoam thing, would i needa clean my tb? or is that cleaned too?

Also, besides SeaFoam, is there another product that does the same thing? Thanx!

Jae
No, if you pour the seafoam into a vacuum hose that is already past your TB, it will not clean the TB.

the other thing i was thinking is that the big red hose is a vacuum line: I don't know where it leads to on the side where it meets the valve cover, which is why i didn't pour it in there.

The other thing is that for people who have used this, have you noticed that you can see your exhaust more now than before using the seafoam? Ever since i used the sea foam, my exhaust ( on a warmed up engine under no load) has a whitish color to it, like it's burning off water. I realize that with it being winter and all, seeing your exhaust fumes isn't going to be a big surprise, but the weather has been mild to warm around here, and you can still see it. I'm wondering how long it takes for this stuff to burn off.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:59 PM

When your car warmsup it is trying to warm up the catalic converter. In the morning so much white smoke comes out of my aftermarket exhuast. After car warms up not that much comes out.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I can't find this crap anywhere. Went to NAPA, autozone and nothing. Gonna try Murrays but they never have anything. Don't tell me I have to go to Aurora to buy this.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm needing a caw

You don't "pour" it into your intake tract. You will HYDROLOCK your engine! You let the engine SUCK it up though a vacuum hose. Now let me stress. USE A VERY SMALL VACUUM HOSE. Again, use a big hose and the engine will suck too much and a big EL LOCKO will happen. Find one near the TB but upstream of the maf. No bigger than about 1/8". Even then be very cafeful when you dip the hose into the SeaFoam.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:37 PM

This product is very useful in hands of people that know how to read the direction on the bottle. Do what Jeff said only pour a small amount (1/4 of bottle) into the hose that is upstream from the TB. I had a hard time figureing what hose to pour into, I pulled the only hose up above the TB (that is connected to the intake) and that was the one that sucks all the air in. POur it into the hole of the manifold, it will suck all the juice. A CEL will come on but it can be reset at the end of the procedure. YOu will be happy that you used this product(hopefully in the right way).
Old 01-07-2004, 04:50 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You don't "pour" it into your intake tract. You will HYDROLOCK your engine! You let the engine SUCK it up though a vacuum hose. Now let me stress. USE A VERY SMALL VACUUM HOSE. Again, use a big hose and the engine will suck too much and a big EL LOCKO will happen. Find one near the TB but upstream of the maf. No bigger than about 1/8". Even then be very cafeful when you dip the hose into the SeaFoam.
yea, wouldnt you seize the engine if your put it into the cam vent? You wouldnt put it into the intake path...
Old 01-07-2004, 04:53 PM
I'm needing a caw

Cam cover breather hose. No-no. Vacuum hose ONLY. And only near the intake manifold.

If one isn't very familar on how to use this, I HIGHLY recommend having someone who does perform the procedure.

Originally Posted by SXN
yea, wouldnt you seize the engine if your put it into the cam vent? You wouldnt put it into the intake path...

Quick Reply: Used Sea Foam today