4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oil on plugs, please help me :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oil on plugs, please help me :(

I changed my spark plugs this morning with a good friend of mine, and when we removed the old plugs, there was oil on them. I'm not sure if that has been over time, meaning that there is a small leak somewhere, Or that i have a blown gasket and its time to take apart the engine. There was oil on all 6 plugs. Any ideas on what this may be caused by? Please help. Thanks guys, you've all been a great help, let's keep it goin' !

MAXIMA.ORG
Old 11-29-2003, 12:22 AM

it is VERY strange to have oil on all 6. unless I am correct that either means you are blowing oil in every cylender, if this were true your car would run like complete crap. or bad valve seals.
Anyone else? Is the car running good? can you post pics?
Old 11-29-2003, 12:27 AM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

here is a quote from the back of the haynes manual about oil deposits on your plugs.

"Symptoms: Oily coating caused by poor oil control. Oil is leaking past worn valve guides or piston rings into the combustion chamber. Causes hard starting, misfiring and hesitation.

Reccomendations: Correct the mechanical condition with necessary repairs and install new plugs"
Old 11-29-2003, 07:01 AM

Check your PCV valve first, before you start pulling the engine down.

Also, check compression on all 6 cylinders. If there's oil on all 6, it's unlikely that it's coming past the rings. If necessary, get some professional advice before tearing the motor down. Would be money well spent.

Mike
Old 11-29-2003, 07:45 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The oil is coming from your valve cover not from inside your engine.

The small o-rings that seal off the spark plug holes tend to leak and allow oil to get onto the outside of the spark plug. The front valve cover is easy to take off to replace those seals, the rear one is a PITA because it's under the intake.

The oil shouldn't really upset anything, try to tighten the nuts that hold the valve cover down. That just might stop it.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:56 AM

clean or replace that pcv valve first. that could reduce some of the pressure that could be pushing the oil past your gaskets. clean up the oil with some solvent and see if you still have problems. after some mileage, if you still oil leaking, then change the valve cover gasket.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:21 AM

i cleaned my pcv valve a few weeks ago and when i did, the thing was completely clogged. Maybe the oil just built up from before i did that.

The car runs pretty good, plenty of power. But i do have very hard starts, and a little hesitation but I figured that that was from having Automagic

Also, the plugs that were originally in there were the crappiest plugs i've ever seen. The guy before me must have paid about 25 cents each plug. Maybe thats another reason.

one more thing, when i got the plugs, it said to gap them to factory specs, so i gapped em to .044 . But i was just reading another post and someonen said that platinum plugs don't need to be gapped. Before i gapped the plugs, they were at .025 . I bought NGK platinum at 2.68 each. The part number was NGK7090. The description says BKR5EGP ECONO. Did i screw up?

I will try re-cleaning my pcv valve and i'll keep checkin' my plugs for oil. Thanks for the quick and detailed responses guys. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be too $$$
Old 11-29-2003, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

The small o-rings that seal off the spark plug holes tend to leak and allow oil to get onto the outside of the spark plug. The front valve cover is easy to take off to replace those seals, the rear one is a PITA because it's under the intake.

The oil shouldn't really upset anything, try to tighten the nuts that hold the valve cover down. That just might stop it.
you are right like always bud
Old 11-29-2003, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaEvolution
i cleaned my pcv valve a few weeks ago and when i did, the thing was completely clogged. Maybe the oil just built up from before i did that.

The car runs pretty good, plenty of power. But i do have very hard starts, and a little hesitation but I figured that that was from having Automagic

Also, the plugs that were originally in there were the crappiest plugs i've ever seen. The guy before me must have paid about 25 cents each plug. Maybe thats another reason.

one more thing, when i got the plugs, it said to gap them to factory specs, so i gapped em to .044 . But i was just reading another post and someonen said that platinum plugs don't need to be gapped. Before i gapped the plugs, they were at .025 . I bought NGK platinum at 2.68 each. The part number was NGK7090. The description says BKR5EGP ECONO. Did i screw up?

I will try re-cleaning my pcv valve and i'll keep checkin' my plugs for oil. Thanks for the quick and detailed responses guys. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be too $$$
I'm guessing that the oil was on the top side of the plug and not on the electrode side? If that is true then you need to listen to njmaxseltd, if not and the oil is depositing on the electrode side, then you have got problems.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:39 AM

it was on both sides. but like i said before, the plugs were garbage.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:41 AM

But i have the symptoms of what SXN said....

"Symptoms: Oily coating caused by poor oil control. Oil is leaking past worn valve guides or piston rings into the combustion chamber. Causes hard starting, misfiring and hesitation.

Reccomendations: Correct the mechanical condition with necessary repairs and install new plugs"

What would the necesary repairs be?
Old 11-29-2003, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

I think this is the problem in my car. I changed my spark plugs 5,000 miles ago at 120,000 and found one of them covered with oil. The white part porcelein part and the threads had oil, but the actual electrode, and the whole bottom of the plug was clean, and looked exactly like the other plugs. I checked the back of the Haynes manual and was confused, because their oil covered plug was totally covered in oil and mine was not. I also had none of the symptoms that the Haynes manual discussed, rough starting, and hesitation. My plug with oil is in the back, so I did not want to take the intake plenum off to get to it at that time, maybe at a later time. My car has been running great, so I think this is my issue.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:59 AM

But i have the symptoms of what SXN said....

What would the necesary repairs be?

Were your plugs completely covered with oil, even the electrode? Mine just had oil on the threads and the bottom of the white porcelein part.

The repairs would involve replacing the rings or valve guides, and since it involves some major work, my guess is that it would be pretty expensive. I am looking at my Haynes manual and I think that you have to take the engine out and take apart the whole top of the engine. Looks pretty complicated. Hopefully you problem is not this. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:08 AM

see thats just it, the plugs that were in there didnt even have an electrode. there was no "arm" I don't understand how they were even spark plugs. I wish i could take a picture, youd be in awe.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:09 AM

Is it bad to drive the car like this? Will it make the damage worse?
Old 11-29-2003, 06:26 PM

If you put in something other than the OEM plugs (NGK) try putting in some new NGK plugs and see if your hesitation and other symptoms go away. I do not know about the electrode-less plugs though. Those weird plugs may be the culprits of the bad symptoms with you car. I could understand if one plug was damaged by a piston, but not all, and even then you WOULD know that there was something seriously wrong. I will read up some in the Haynes manual and see if there is anything else in there. Give the NGK plugs a shot though.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:32 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

see thats just it, the plugs that were in there didnt even have an electrode. there was no "arm" I don't understand how they were even spark plugs. I wish i could take a picture, youd be in awe.
:
Old 11-29-2003, 07:26 PM
SXN

sounds like you just have a bunch of fukked up spark plugs.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:49 PM

yea i gotta get a digital camera for christmas. Just imagine a spark plug, dirty and covered with oil, without an electrode.That is what was in my car;i dont know how it ran at all. I already put new NGK's in there. Haven't looked to see if oil has leaked on them yet, i'll give it a few days. But since i've changed them a do feel a small increase in power, and the engine revs WAY smoother. At 4000+ RPM it feels like the car is idling.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:10 PM
SXN

if it doesnt have the arm, how can it make a spark?