4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Had some trouble tryin' to change my belts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 10:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Had some trouble tryin' to change my belts...

How you doin' guys. I tried changing my belts this mornin' and couldn't get the tensioner loose. I loosened the idler adjustment screw, and the bolt behind the power steering pump, but the belts would not loosen up. I followed exactly what it says in the Haynes manual, but it didn't work for me.

one question...

Next to the idler adjustment screw, that pulley that's immediately underneath it should move up off the belt when the screw is loosened right? Correct me if I am wrong.

Was I suppose to do anything different? Please help, thanks guys.

Old 11-29-2003, 06:00 AM

The pulley directly underneath the tensionner has to be loosened as well. Unscrew the bolt in the center (shaft) of that pulley, just a few turns to lossen it. Dont remove the bolt completely. If your tool does not allow easy access from the top (engine bay), jack the car, remove the passenger side wheel, remove the fender well inner splash guard. Only 4 easy access screws hold it in place. Once removed, you will have pently and easy access on that pulley. This approach wil also allow you to reinstall belts in 10 seconds.

The PS pump also has 2 bolts to unscrew. One is the bolt behind the ps pump. Looks you got that one. The other is the long tensionner bolt that adjusts the ps pump up and down to tighten the ps belt.

This page has a good write up with pics:

http://web.archive.org/web/200111091...k_service.html

Good luck ! I am sure you wil succeed.

Originally Posted by MaximaEvolution
How you doin' guys. I tried changing my belts this mornin' and couldn't get the tensioner loose. I loosened the idler adjustment screw, and the bolt behind the power steering pump, but the belts would not loosen up. I followed exactly what it says in the Haynes manual, but it didn't work for me.

one question...

Next to the idler adjustment screw, that pulley that's immediately underneath it should move up off the belt when the screw is loosened right? Correct me if I am wrong.

Was I suppose to do anything different? Please help, thanks guys.

Old 11-29-2003, 08:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yea i removed the wheel yesterday. A few weeks ago i changed my CV joints and i knew i had to chan ge my belts and saw that it would be pretty easy with the wheel off.

Thanks for the link!