4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Should I buy a Exedy S1 clutch... especially off ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 08:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Should I buy a Exedy S1 clutch... especially off ebay?

Well, my stock clutch is near dead, and I want to get a new one. I hear that the exedy stage 1 clutch is a very good choice, but I am not sure if I should get it. I like to race sometimes, but not often. But I do drive hard/aggressive/fast often. But then again I also would like to be able to drive smoothly if I have "speed sensitive" people in the car. I am not sure what to do... any thoughts from people who have this clutch?

Also, I am not sure if I would get one off of eBay. I see a bunch of them on there, but I am not sure if I should trust any of them... has anyone had experience from these sellers? How much is the exedy stage 1 clutch if I had to buy it out right from a store? Is it worth it to buy off eBay? Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2446732231

Thoughts? Comments? Thanks guys:

Chris
Old 12-09-2003, 08:18 PM

Thats not a stage 1, its just the OEM replacement
Old 12-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes I would buy one...I have the Stage 1 and love it, smooth for normal driving and agresive when needed. That is not a stage 1, but if you want one, I saw jdmmax was selling two clutches for 220 shipped. Check the classifieds.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:49 PM

so what is the diffrence between the stage 1, and the one on ebay?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:15 PM

I have a suggestion....ACT

You'll love it. The pressure plate makes the pedal stiffer than stock but i've put mine through hell and it still feels the same as when i put it in.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by FASHIZL
I have a suggestion....ACT

You'll love it. The pressure plate makes the pedal stiffer than stock but i've put mine through hell and it still feels the same as when i put it in.

i do not want to go with an ACT, i have heard that they do more harm then good. ACT is very grippy, and could pos. hurt your tranny, or kill it alot faster... or so i have heard.

Chris
Old 12-10-2003, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
i do not want to go with an ACT, i have heard that they do more harm then good. ACT is very grippy, and could pos. hurt your tranny, or kill it alot faster... or so i have heard.

Chris

Ok, for those who dont know by now, ACT and Exedy use the SAME EXACT clutch. The only thing different is the pressure plate. The ACT grabs about 3% ,more than an Exedy, thats the difference. An Exedy will eat your tranny just as fast as an ACT if your hard on it. Also, if your not planning on either nitrous or forced induction, DO NOT get a stage 1. Its a decision you will possibly regret. And OEM clutch can handle EVERY SINGLE all motor mod the max can throw out...

Eric
Old 12-10-2003, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
Ok, for those who dont know by now, ACT and Exedy use the SAME EXACT clutch. The only thing different is the pressure plate. The ACT grabs about 3% ,more than an Exedy, thats the difference. An Exedy will eat your tranny just as fast as an ACT if your hard on it. Also, if your not planning on either nitrous or forced induction, DO NOT get a stage 1. Its a decision you will possibly regret. And OEM clutch can handle EVERY SINGLE all motor mod the max can throw out...

Eric

hmmm, guess i am going to have to go with a stock clutch. anyone know where i can find a cheap one? thanks.

Chris
Old 12-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
Eric
Why would you regret it? Ive spoken with many people in regards to clutches and dying trannies. I do agree that its more of the way you drive your vehicle then the clutch itself killing the trannies. Ive never heard of anyone having any dying trannies with an Exedy. I currently have an Exedy Stage 1 and am happy with it. It prefer it way over the stock unit. I like the stiffer clutch feel and it definalty grabs better. Its stiffer then the OEM, but not unbearable. Even in traffic Ive had no issues.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by FLAVOR247
Why would you regret it? Ive spoken with many people in regards to clutches and dying trannies. I do agree that its more of the way you drive your vehicle then the clutch itself killing the trannies. Ive never heard of anyone having any dying trannies with an Exedy. I currently have an Exedy Stage 1 and am happy with it. It prefer it way over the stock unit. I like the stiffer clutch feel and it definalty grabs better. Its stiffer then the OEM, but not unbearable. Even in traffic Ive had no issues.

Im just saying that if your not pushing enough power to justify it, why risk your tranny?? You know?? I am personally running an exedy stage 1 as well and i love it, but if i was all motor, i wouldve went with a stocker...

Eric
Old 12-10-2003, 05:57 PM

i didn't know that it made the pedal stiffer either, i do not like stiffer. i am good friends with the 5th gen moderator Emax02, and i have driven his car around a couple of times, and his setup is sweet. he is running a stock clutch, but the clutch feels weightless... like the gas pedal. but is grabs so well, and it is much easyier to drive his car. with in the 1st minute of driving it, i had no problems, i could band through the gears. but anyway, i want my pedal to feel like his, just because it feels better, easyier to drive, and i have a bad knee that gives me problems after a while of driving.

is there any way to make my pedal feel that way?

Chris
Old 12-10-2003, 07:19 PM

5th gen clutches have some type of assist. My brother has the ACT on his 2k1 and pedal pressure required is minimal.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
5th gen clutches have some type of assist. My brother has the ACT on his 2k1 and pedal pressure required is minimal.

oooo, i didn't know that. damn, that stinks... i wonder if i could install on on my car... eh, probably not worth the money.

anyone know where to get a cheap stock clutch??

Chris
Old 12-10-2003, 08:15 PM

The one one ebay is a stock clutch...just get that
Old 12-10-2003, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c

Chris

I've never heard of anyone complaining about the ACT except wusses who complain about the pedal being harder. Before i bought mine i went to other car forums (Bimmer, Vettes, Supras) and all I read eas praise. I've got over 40K on mine and 164K on the tranny and shift hard every now and then with no problems. Its when you start getting into racing clutches when you run the risk of harming the trans due to their really harsh engagement. The clutch disc in my ACT set actually uses an Exedy and i've driven another maxima with the exedy pressure plate it feels alot softer than my
Old 12-11-2003, 01:42 AM

I remember back in the day Daniel Martin said that the clutch is the one part he would not replace OEM. He didn't race, so for him it isn't good enough for every day driving. Does anyone remember what he said he'd go with?
Old 12-14-2003, 07:31 AM

ok .....here we go agan .....Daikin is the O.E.M to Nissan when you buy a Clutch kit that says Exedy mean one compontent in the kit is a Daikin/the rest of the kit can be knock off parts. When you buy a Daikin Clutch kit means all of the parts in the box O.E.M.. when Buying a Exedy Racing Clutch It is in a sliver Box if you need more of the low down on Daikin Clutches Give me a Call and you can look on Daikin Web Site i am listed as a Dealer and not to many Can Say that
Old 12-14-2003, 09:13 PM

I am possibly looking at a new clutch.
I will prob. never go NOS or FI so I want a OEM
What is the difference in the Nissan/exedy/ACT OEM clutches?
Also average prices if anyone knows them offhand
I also have heard no good thing about "key value" parts, so that is not an option.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:31 AM

My friend bought a clutch off ebay, said "Exedy" on the box, he had it installed and it works perfectly with no slipping at all. And it was only 100